Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We use paper plates along with the basket plate holders. And everything else is clear pyrex. I like pyrex because you can see through it. It's strong glass and it reminds me of Airstreams quality. I just have a thing for pryex dishes. Both old and new.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I had to read all of these before I could bring myself to admit to carrying a Wedgewood service for four, sterling for six, and crystal for six. This is an Airstream, after all! And I bought into the old A/S ads showing a woman all dressed up, lighting candles on the table. And yes, I carry the candles, too (but I don't dress up)! However, all of that is only if we are camping with full service, since it is water-heavy to wash.

For everyday use, we have Centura, an earlier, nicer, and much more expensive version of Corelle. It is period-correct for our vintage units. It is heavier than Corelle, too, but we just hate drinking coffee out of paper, or eating on paper unless we are boondocking or trying to make time, driving early and late, or unless I'm just feeling lazy!

I figure that if I'm camping in the top-of-the-line trailer, then I'm going to enjoy it to the hilt. And since ALL of this stuff came from thrift stores, I'm not breaking the bank, either.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
This is a personal choice, of course...but our deal is to view our A$ as a Ritz on wheels... a 5 star experience wherever we are.

If we were full timing and we were worried about weight we would have to adjust.

Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I outfitted the FaN with stuff that just made me happy. Colourful. Funky. A lot of it came from the dollar/thrift store.

My favourite find was the globe flea-market aquarium turned salad bowl. I also use it as an ice bucket or punch bowl.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Being a lifelong bachelor, food for me is mainly a necessary evil for keeping the inner man and outer man from parting company. Though judging from my overly-large waistline it's an addiction, not a vice! Still, meals are seldom ever social events for me except when I attend an Airstream rally or a coworker's retirement party.

By the way, for my retirement party— or as I call it, my "Good Riddance" party— we went bowling, and aside from a cake at the end of the night all we ate was finger food. No one seemed to mind.

As a result of many meals eaten alone, I never have understood the need for presentation of food to take center stage. If it's edible and I like the taste, I'll eat it (again, check my waistline as proof), whether it's served on fine china, melamine, paper, or straight out of the skillet with no plates at all.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I had to read all of these before I could bring myself to admit to carrying a Wedgewood service for four, sterling for six, and crystal for six. This is an Airstream, after all! And I bought into the old A/S ads showing a woman all dressed up, lighting candles on the table. And yes, I carry the candles, too (but I don't dress up)! However, all of that is only if we are camping with full service, since it is water-heavy to wash.

For everyday use, we have Centura, an earlier, nicer, and much more expensive version of Corelle. It is period-correct for our vintage units. It is heavier than Corelle, too, but we just hate drinking coffee out of paper, or eating on paper unless we are boondocking or trying to make time, driving early and late, or unless I'm just feeling lazy!

I figure that if I'm camping in the top-of-the-line trailer, then I'm going to enjoy it to the hilt. And since ALL of this stuff came from thrift stores, I'm not breaking the bank, either.

Vivian
I know for a fact that you are not the only one doing this.

It's a lifestyle choice, and I think it's sweet.

You probably set a formal table for meals at home, as well. Some of just got away from those formalities.

Do what you like, like what you do. It's your Airstream and your life.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Dishes, flatware, and stemware

I love this thread!

Corelle, Chicago Cutlery, Oneida flatware, cast iron, BUT...from the local thrift stores!

I have service for 4 and washing dishes while camping, gets my hands really clean, and lowers my carbon footprint, which is quiet high given the glamping.

I try to find items that are made in the U.S. (new Oneida is not).

Washing dishes on the road doesn't seem like a chore, like it does at home.
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I am starting to put together my AS accessories. I like to hit estate sales, and I made a list that I keep in evernote to keep track of what I need to get, and what I have already.

I did find a silver-plated flatware set, 6 settings, for $5.
Figured that was as little as buying new at Target, so got them.

Also got a serving bowl and platter made of Armatel (a pewter looking aluminum) for $5 each, that fit into the pick nick basket with flat lid ($30). Armatel is nice because you can put into an oven to preheat, or ice it up to precool, and it helps to keep things cool or warm a bit longer.

I figure by the time we have the $$$ for the AS, that I will have all the extras we will need ready to go, so we don't have to buy all at once.

I've passed on a lot of dish sets because the bowls are tiny.

I have a lot on my list, but I am very choosy so am enjoying finding and collecting everything.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Love the thrift store idea. I will check this out when I am updating my wardrobe....yeah!

Also, the comment on washing dishes in an Airstream... I usually fill something small with hot soapy water and sue my small dish brush to carefully clean things, then rinse under very low flow hot water stream. And, the delight of having almost instant on hot water due to the short plumbing runs in a trailer....another cheer.... And having things all tidy in the Airstream seems to be just part of the ritual, relaxing almost.

Of course, this time of year for many there will be some gift giving and I must admit, Corelle with a red theme is on my list.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
have yet to kit out my recently acquired AS but will be visiting IKEA for sure ... how to keep from shifting around in the cabinets while on the road is the question though ? any tips from your experienced folks ? thx
This is a partial cross-post from the B Van forum, Small Space Living thread.

I was bothered by both storage inefficiencies and the rattling as well as shifting of dishes and cutlery during transit, so I came up with the attached solutions: (1) An accounting check file for the Corelle plates (glad to see so many Corelle fans in this thread) and (2) a wide-weave mass-market general decor basket to hold cutlery individually as well as Corelle bowls and drinking glasses. The check file wedges perfectly between the microwave and its cabinet wall, whereas the basket stays put in the cabinet when it is properly packed.

I've attached two pics for brevity and here FYI is a link to my summary blog thread describing kitchen storage and other small space issues:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: SMALL SPACE LIVING TIPS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0911.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	228015   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0089 - Copy.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	228016  

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Hey Piggy Bank,

I did the same thing before finding my Safari.

The basement became the 'hopechest'!
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #52
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Clearly food presentation covers a wide swath of preferences. A query further-

How many of the "china/silverware/crystal/candles" experiences are laid out on linen versus place mats, disposable table coverings, or unadorned laminate?
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Cloth mats for us!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #54
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We use some cool hand-crafted cloth place mats with a great 50's diner print. They're perfect for the Airstream. We decided that was easier to manage than a tablecloth, and we love the retro look.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #55
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Like most posters on this thread we use Corelle and melamine. The Airstream has a microwave, and we have Corelle in it. The truck camper has no microwave and so we have melamine.

We also have a divided cardboard box in the dinette drawer with individual cells for glassware. We've never had a problem with breakage in transit.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Clearly food presentation covers a wide swath of preferences. A query further-

How many of the "china/silverware/crystal/candles" experiences are laid out on linen versus place mats, disposable table coverings, or unadorned laminate?
Damask, of course! I carry 2-3 damask tablecloths--they take hardly any room and hang in the main closet so they don't get wrinkled.

We have several sets of cloth placemats, too, because food does spill--and with extras I don't have to worry about washing them out right away.

We just enjoy living well on the road as well as at home. And thank you, Maggie, for the nice comment!

This is such an interesting thread!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, same as many previous posters on this thread, we use Corelle dishes [four place setting] and cups. We also have stainless service for four. We also have two Corelle dishes for Dusty. Dusty has his own plates and bowls. We always have a supply of paper plates. Sometimes it's just easier to use paper plates and my lunch plate [paper] becomes Dusty's dinner plate.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #58
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I decided early on against cloth table cloths. Something always spills on them. I will do a lot to avoid a trip to the Laundromat on long trips. For short ones with the home washing machine a day away-- well, when the Bambi table has to do double-duty as the kitchen counter, one can only "glamp" so much.

I carry a plastic table cloth to put over semi-icky picnic tables at campsites.

I might mention that we are expanding our collection of low-cost crystal wine glasses for camping. It really does affect how the wine tastes. For any skeptics, I recommend you pour a little of the same wine into plastic, bar glass, and crystal glasses, respectively, let them sit for a few minutes, and then see which one tastes best. However, crystal can be the $6 per stem variety-- not Mother's leaded Waterford.

Just pack them really well. We've broken a few while dish-washing, but never on bumpy roads.

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
We switched to using paper plates, blows, cups, but still use real flatware. Why waste time and water washing dishes? We never wash pots, pans and utensils either unless absolutely necessary. We just take them home and load them in the dishwasher. This will probably change when we retire and can go one longer trips and move up from a little camper to a mini condo on wheels.

Michael
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have decided I want to camp with Landshark, and share a meal with them.

I will put on especially pretty clothes, full make-up, and bring whatever bread, dessert or side they wish.

Seriously.....altho I will not be carrying fine tableware and table cloths, there is something very appealing about that formality.

Reminds me of nice restaraunts with sweet hubby, also the train trip to and from Seattle, WA.....a sleeping car included meals in the dining car, complete with tablecloth, proper flatware, glasses, and uniformed waiters.

Streaming thru the countryside at dusk, dressed for dinner, nice glass of wine in hand......one of the best trips ever.

Maggie