Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
This is a great thread with full spectrum of dining options used by all.
While we're talking kitchen galley- purpose we add additional great ideas for
Pantry, refrigerator, and cabinet storage ideas for stocking for a two week trip.
What are your top priorities for frig storage and freezer?
For menu planning, do you only take ingredients for first two weeks or more for other meals?
What kitchen pantry items and spices do you always take?

Do any of you take toasters, blenders,bread machines, popcorn makers, electric griddles or crock pots?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #72
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Melamine sources?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

Do any of you take toasters, blenders,bread machines, popcorn makers, electric griddles or crock pots?
We do have a toaster and 1-cup Keurig coffee maker. We also bring an electric convection cooktop for some cooking outside as well as a small Weber propane grill and a Dutch oven sometimes. I think we did a crockpot once for a rally pot luck but usually not.

Do what you like and have a blast! There's no wrong way to camp :-)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Melamine sources?

Hi CWF,
We purchased our Melamine ware from Crate & Barrel during great sale this past spring.
Noted there is some availability online: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search?query=melamine
We love our service for four in Aqua and spring green.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Sorry, could never do paper.can't do it at home, couldn't do it here. Service for four, even though there is only the two of us. Plus that's kinda the way they sell place settings. Real stainless. I found a set of knives and forks and spoons made by laguiole, they make great steak knives. Great steak knives make terrible butter knives, we bought some plain Jane butter knives. China, service for four. It's white I think it's by Cuisnart. Got that at Overstock. So far haven't broken anything. I found some felt circles (container store) I use them between the plates. We use real glass. I found some boxes (container store again) that have dividers in them and they store the glassware nicely. Toaster is Dualit, two slice. We have had one at home for about 25 years, two boys and its never broken. Can't beat that. We bought a separate coffee maker, by Cusinart it grinds and brews into an insulated pot. No burned coffee, and stays warm for a long time. Both those fit into the "pantry" next to the fridge. I've lined those shelves with that cushioned shelf liner. It's great, things don't slide around. I thought when we bought the Interstate that it was so beautifully designed, it deserved good things. Real plates, real glass, real cloth napkins, it just seemed the right thing to do. We're never in a big rush, it's nice to clean things up after dinner take your time washing dishes, its a very zen thing.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #76
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
This is a great thread with full spectrum of dining options used by all.
While we're talking kitchen galley- purpose we add additional great ideas for
Pantry, refrigerator, and cabinet storage ideas for stocking for a two week trip.
What are your top priorities for frig storage and freezer?
For menu planning, do you only take ingredients for first two weeks or more for other meals?
What kitchen pantry items and spices do you always take?

We got into a totally pared-down culinary collection for the 16-foot Bambi as there just wasn't room to store an entire batterie de cuisine. Also, we boondock a lot, and can't run the plug-in utensils off the batteries or limited generator hours. The chance of breakage is always a consideration.

Kitchen gear
We have a stainless-steel stovetop tea kettle. Obviously useful for tea, but we also carry a stainless steel coffee carafe, plastic cone, and filter papers for drip coffee. Sometimes we brew coffee directly into a thermos.

Stainless steel tea pot.

One small Le Creuset saucepan with lid, one 8 " cast iron frying pan.

4 nesting plastic wash tubs. Useful in desert boondocking, for water management (washing dishes outside, saving shower water from filling up the waste water tank and sparing the hot water, storaging various loose items, &c.)

Small plastic cutting board, large flexible thin plastic cutting board.

Assortment of small hand tools, such as grater, garlic press, small strainer, kitchen knives, big spoons, dishwashing- and basting brushes.

Three large nesting stainless steel bowls, used mostly for salads.

A few plastic leftover containers with lids, plastic Ziploc bags.

Cheap but real crystal wine glasses, well packed.

There's more, but I can't think of what at the moment.

I have considered a small crockpot for our larger Bambi, but not much else: it's too space inefficient for a small trailer.

Freezer
If we are on the road a lot or boondocking, we take 2-4 of those blue gel freezer pacs. On the road, or when trying to spare the batteries at the campsite during the day when we're out, we turn off the fridge and put the frozen gel pacs in the fridge, which works extremely well to keep everything cold. (We don't drive with the propane turned on.) At night with the batteries on, we refreeze the gel pacs, and they're ready for the next day.

Fridge
Due to limited kitchen counter space (also for the 19' Bambi) we try to keep cooking very simple. For a short trip, I cook & bake a lot of food ahead of time, then simply reheat it; as well as prepare cold foods like hummus and vegetable spreads. We eat a lot of green salads. Breakfast is usually granola, soy milk, and fresh fruit or juice. Lunch is often wraps, because the wraps don't tend to get stale, squashed, broken, or crumbled like bread or crackers; and can be used as flour tortillas.

Soy milk, OJ or carrot juice. Coconut water, beer, white wine, beer.

We used to pack meat, cheese, and dairy milk, but have switched to a more vegan diet, so eat a lot of tofu these days. Other vegan "must-haves" are nutritional yeast, raw nuts, and soy milk. (Almond milk tastes better but lacks protein.)

Pantry
Canned artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed,) pickled beets, and decent olives dress up many meals.

Plain canned beans as staple protein sources.

A few all-purpose herb blends: a sort-of Italian one, chili powder, cinnamon sugar, pepper, salt.

Soy sauce (ideally in small restaurant-type packets,) Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, EVOO, hot sauce (These have a tendency to leak, so pack accordingly.)

A few condiments like jam, mustard, and horseradish.

some of the quicker-cooking pastas, basmati and/or Minute rice

small quantities of flour, sugar, baking soda & powder

dried snacks like nuts (generally raw or dry-roasted,) crackers, veggie chips.

Coffee, tea, red wine

For a long trip to a more remote area (such as Death Valley,) we might pack a food box in the back of the truck with extra canned goods and packages of dry foods.

We've camped as long as 6 weeks away from home, but not all in one place, so usually we've simply restocked at a supermarket on our route rather than trying to take everything from home all at once. Most fresh produce doesn't keep too well after a week!

Menu planning
In my view, it's best to keep it simple. I like to cook elaborate dishes, but this works a lot better in my home kitchen than in a galley. Best to make such things at home ahead of time, then refrigerate or freeze them for your expedition.

Campfire cooking.
Yes, venue permitting. We grill tofu and vegetables: grilled asparagus, eggplant, peppers, &c come out really well this way. Sometimes we use our Dutch ovens.

Of course, a lot depends on what you like to eat!

Jeanne
Old 12-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
We also bought some flameless candles. Good for romantic dinners, and also make a great night light.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Corelle plates( they microwave- melamine does not), stainless flat wear, stainless pots and pans, some paper plates for lunch on the road or large gatherings, Corelle LIGHT oven dish for casseroles- pricey but worth it, tervis tumblers for coffee and cold drinks thus multi-purpose, collapsible bowls & storage containers, collapsible dishpan if I need to conserve grey water space, collapsible measuring cups to conserve drawer space. Have not had any issues with Corelle breaking yet😊 but if I did, I would replace it with same....
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have had corelle bowls explode into sharp shrapnel when dropped on tile floors. Wife decided it wasn't worth the cleanup. We use melamine or paper plates. Melamine bounces...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
Corelle plates( they microwave- melamine does not), stainless flat wear, stainless pots and pans, some paper plates for lunch on the road or large gatherings, Corelle LIGHT oven dish for casseroles- pricey but worth it, tervis tumblers for coffee and cold drinks thus multi-purpose, collapsible bowls & storage containers, collapsible dishpan if I need to conserve grey water space, collapsible measuring cups to conserve drawer space. Have not had any issues with Corelle breaking yet�� but if I did, I would replace it with same....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have had corelle bowls explode into sharp shrapnel when dropped on tile floors. Wife decided it wasn't worth the cleanup. We use melamine or paper plates. Melamine bounces...

Hi, I broke a Corelle cup which is actually ceramic; I mentioned it when I was at the Corelle store and they told me that if I had brought it with me, they would have replaced it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our portable microwave is too small to accommodate a normal plate. It's ok for heating a small bowl at the most or a cupcake or small portion item.

That said, it does run on 12 volts if I clip it right to the battery terminals. We use it on 110ac most of the time.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We use corelle in the camper and at home. Set of four with a couple extra bowls on the road. Chicago knives, same Oneida wear as we got as wedding presents 38 years ago. We don't store the corelle in any special way, just stacked on a shelf, never had any break so far.

Stainless steel wine goblets and beer pints, ceramic coffee mugs.

Coffee grinder, whip cream maker, crockpot, dutch ovens and mocamaster coffee machine all used routinely. We used to travel with Waterford mickey mouse champagne glasses but have left them home for the past couple of years.

Paper plates only when we have family dinners.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1549790]I have decided I want to camp with Landshark, and share a meal with them.

I will put on especially pretty clothes, full make-up, and bring whatever bread, dessert or side they wish.

Seriously.....altho I will not be carrying fine tableware and table cloths, there is something very appealing about that formality.

Reminds me of nice restaraunts with sweet hubby, also the train trip to and from Seattle, WA.....a sleeping car included meals in the dining car, complete with tablecloth, proper flatware, glasses, and uniformed waiters.

Streaming thru the countryside at dusk, dressed for dinner, nice glass of wine in hand......one of the best trips ever.

Maggie, you are welcome to dine with us anytime--we would love to enjoy your company. I can't promise great food, but it will be served on great dishes!

You mention the train: we took the Eastern & Orient Express from Bangkok to Singapore several years ago and it was the absolute height of luxury--everyone dressed for dinner (adv lit specified no t-shirts, no jeans on board), all food freshly prepared, exquisite service, beveled glass in the tiny shower in our sleeper--it felt like we were in a Bogart movie. Given the quality of Airstreams, we try to replicate that feeling of luxury whenever we can on the 34'. However, in the smaller trailers, we can't manage that so are happy with less formal settings, although we still detest eating on paper and use it only as a last resort.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Like being in a Bogart movie....yes.

Maggie