Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, same as many previous posters on this thread, we use Corelle dishes [four place setting] and cups. We also have stainless service for four. We also have two Corelle dishes for Dusty. Dusty has his own plates and bowls. We always have a supply of paper plates. Sometimes it's just easier to use paper plates and my lunch plate [paper] becomes Dusty's dinner plate.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #58
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I decided early on against cloth table cloths. Something always spills on them. I will do a lot to avoid a trip to the Laundromat on long trips. For short ones with the home washing machine a day away-- well, when the Bambi table has to do double-duty as the kitchen counter, one can only "glamp" so much.

I carry a plastic table cloth to put over semi-icky picnic tables at campsites.

I might mention that we are expanding our collection of low-cost crystal wine glasses for camping. It really does affect how the wine tastes. For any skeptics, I recommend you pour a little of the same wine into plastic, bar glass, and crystal glasses, respectively, let them sit for a few minutes, and then see which one tastes best. However, crystal can be the $6 per stem variety-- not Mother's leaded Waterford.

Just pack them really well. We've broken a few while dish-washing, but never on bumpy roads.

Jeanne

Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
We switched to using paper plates, blows, cups, but still use real flatware. Why waste time and water washing dishes? We never wash pots, pans and utensils either unless absolutely necessary. We just take them home and load them in the dishwasher. This will probably change when we retire and can go one longer trips and move up from a little camper to a mini condo on wheels.

Michael
Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have decided I want to camp with Landshark, and share a meal with them.

I will put on especially pretty clothes, full make-up, and bring whatever bread, dessert or side they wish.

Seriously.....altho I will not be carrying fine tableware and table cloths, there is something very appealing about that formality.

Reminds me of nice restaraunts with sweet hubby, also the train trip to and from Seattle, WA.....a sleeping car included meals in the dining car, complete with tablecloth, proper flatware, glasses, and uniformed waiters.

Streaming thru the countryside at dusk, dressed for dinner, nice glass of wine in hand......one of the best trips ever.

Maggie
Old 12-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I carry a plastic table cloth to put over semi-icky picnic tables at campsites.
Here's a handy solution to the problem— a wide roll of butcher paper. Tear off as much as you need, clip it to the tabletop (on a wooden picnic table, pushpins at the corners work well for that), and when the meal is over, no matter what was spilled on it, just roll up the butcher paper and use it to start your next campfire. It makes pretty good kindling, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We use "decorative" paper plates and bowles, and plastic utensils. We also carry ceramic mugs for hot tea and coffee, stainless cutlery, and a red plaid plastic table cloth for the picnic table. We found a set of table cloth clips to keep the table cloth flat on the table.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #63
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Here's a handy solution to the problem— a wide roll of butcher paper. Tear off as much as you need, clip it to the tabletop (on a wooden picnic table, pushpins at the corners work well for that), and when the meal is over, no matter what was spilled on it, just roll up the butcher paper and use it to start your next campfire. It makes pretty good kindling, too.
Interesting idea-- we could also take the old paper home and use it as a weed barrier around the vegetable garden beds: the earthworms would love it. We often use old newspapers for this purpose.

We travel with a collapsible nylon box/straight-sided grocery type bag for taking recyclables home or to the nearest recycling depot when traveling. Any used paper plates that are not really soiled go into it, as well.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I use woven wicker placemats. Easy to clean - just wet wipe.

Another thrift-store find. Bookends turned retro paper-napkin holder!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Damask, of course! I carry 2-3 damask tablecloths--they take hardly any room and hang in the main closet so they don't get wrinkled.

We have several sets of cloth placemats, too, because food does spill--and with extras I don't have to worry about washing them out right away....

Vivian
I found reports on general RV forums that people really liked placemats made out of the same material as shelf liner, because they kept dishes in place on the table instead of sliding around.

Scaling up this idea, I made a whole table topper out of the stuff. Shelf liner now comes in many attractive colors and textures, is very inexpensive, and can be cut to fit the table exactly. Some pics here:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE TABLE TOPPER IDEA
Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is a great idea, IB!

I like something protective on my countertop, period, as things do sometimes fall and will leave nicks and scratches.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I use a cloth shower curtain for a table cloth on picnic tables. Very light weight and easily washed and big enough for the picnic table.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a good idea, bugs!

I have a length of plasticicized material, sold by the yard off huge bolts at Hobby Lobby, that has scenes of Paris on it. Makes a perfect picnic table cloth.

They have lots of patterns, and you can buy as little or as much as you want.

It feels like flannel on the back side, like a plastic tablecloth on the other, which may be its intended purpose.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #69

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have some plastic plates that we've use for 25+ years or so. We also carry silverware and utensils that we originally used at home many years back. We also carry some paper plates to minimize water use when we carry our own water.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #70

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We keep suitable wares for...
Drinks for 6
Dinner for 4