Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My wife does pottery. She did a set of dinner plates, coffee cups and saucers with our WBCCI number and our Tin Goat rig name. She also did a napkin holder formed with our Airstream cookie cutter :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-681137407.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	227642

Name:	image-1431263812.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	227643

We use paper and plastic utensils sometimes but really love using our "trailerware" :-)

Old 11-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sources for Melamine?

We use permanent stuff usually.. But sometimes we use "disposable".

We use about 1/3 sink full of hot soapy water to wash, similar to rinse. If want to perfectly sanitize, get some Brewers sanitizer like "Star San". It kills.

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
WalMart melamine plates and bowls (not microwave safe). Stainless flatware. Real coffee cups. Stock of paper plates in a plastic storage container for the microwave stuff and especially for times when grandchildren are plentiful and Grandma would rather spend time with them than wash dishes.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like to be able to put leftovers into a bowl that can go into the microwave, or a saucepan with a little water & lid if we are boondocking, which Corelle does.

A couple of open stock soup bowls are great for leftovers, also salads, soup, etc., altho we have a couple of handmade chowder bowls from Chatham Pottery on Cape Cod that work for lots of things and are worth the extra space and weight.

Bought them for our retirement motor home, when we weren't even close. Used them at home, dreaming of retirement and traveling the country.

Now, they live permanently in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Paper plates when boondocking (when we have a campfire for easy disposal), plastic for campgrounds. Miscellaneous stainless steel silverware, but sharp steak and fileting knives...stainless mugs...and one nice set of glasses for adult beverages. At first felt bad for using paper plates...but we offset this with less water use. Again, working out what works best for you is all part of the fun and excitement. jon
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Regular dishes from the house and disposable and paper towels/napkins-
Most of the time we eat from paper plates or paper towels. We mostly use throw-away forks and spoons. We sometimes use paper towels in place of dish rags. We drink bottled water from the bottle and canned soft drinks from the can. This is all to cut down cleaning time.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
My wife does pottery. She did a set of dinner plates, coffee cups and saucers with our WBCCI number and our Tin Goat rig name. She also did a napkin holder formed with our Airstream cookie cutter :-)

Attachment 227642

Attachment 227643

We use paper and plastic utensils sometimes but really love using our "trailerware" :-)
I am green with envy! Very,very nice Steve.
Bruce
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
have yet to kit out my recently acquired AS but will be visiting IKEA for sure ... how to keep from shifting around in the cabinets while on the road is the question though ? any tips from your experienced folks ? thx
Old 11-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Paper plates or real plates? What about utensils and glassware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Do you use disposable plates, cups and utensils or do you use the real deal and wash after every use? Lots of great sales going on now for Black Friday so I wondering if I should equip the AS like home or buy picnic supplies. How have you outfitted your cupboards?

Not sure my AS finds are helpful since you may have already found the best deals on Black Friday. Forum members are very helpful during my own planning & gearing up.
Lessons learned: only buy what you really need ( stick to basics), hone in on kitchen items which are multipurpose and worthy of their ow space, think practical, durable, easy to store and useful indoors and outside at your campsite. We had some former college dorm ikea silverware was repurposed for our FC galley kitchen, bought retro look new enamelware pots & pans from World Mart online special ( works great with propane, convection oven and grillin outside on grill or campfire. We use paper when boondocking and Crate and Barrel Melamine for camp dishes.

Here are some pics of initial storage:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417325095.358634.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	761.3 KB
ID:	227719
The blue and green dishes which were in the drawer for first season were moved to upper overhead when we cleaned after last camping trip late October. I may add expansion rods to this cabinet if things shuffle too much.

Our retro aluminum ware pots and pans were former ally arranged under sink cabinet-see pic with dollar store felts pieces layered between. Jut move to the former dish drawer and fits fine.
Our AS FC 20' FB has tons of storage with huge under sink storage but going forward will be storing adult beverages, cleaning supplies and we keep the kitchen trash can there out of the way

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417325677.158004.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	778.4 KB
ID:	227720

We utilize the kitchen drawer space for utensils, and repurposed some great old Tupperware canisters for essential dried goods in the pantry: homeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417326607.491332.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	772.3 KB
ID:	227725made granola, dried fruit, nuts, crackers, rice and pasta, Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417325759.786542.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	227721Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417325789.122105.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	756.1 KB
ID:	227722Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417325825.912760.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	790.8 KB
ID:	227723

Utilize overhead cabinet just above sink for "pantry goods": spices, condiments, olive oil, coffee and tea, non-perishable cans and containers food items for meal first two weeks usua lily fit just fine.

Utilize overhead cabinet (1 of 3) over dinnette fresh baked goods, flatbread pizza crust, tortillas, French bread or rolls and and homemade baked goods like banana bread, gingerbread, scones.
Another overhead stores paper picnic goods organized in a basket, napkins and dish cloths,

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417326521.637306.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	718.7 KB
ID:	227724

Hope this helps....purchased several sets of spring loaded expansion rods for refrigerator shelved....really snugs in all the cold stuff and tow sets in our medicine cabinet....otherwise even a gent all departure from our home driveway....meds, first aid supplies, toiletries would crash into the sink when opened.

Overflow non-perishable foods arranged into plastic sterilize tub placed in under rad storage area. Similarly, extra TP, bounty towels and paper goods in another plastic tub. Smaller sterility containers one for laundry supplies & close line w. Pins.

Just like your brick & mortar home....seems you need to live and cook in it a few times to get to know your organizational style. With the few simple changes made, we now have room for speciality items: hand mixer, emulsion blender, Staub Oval Dutch oven, and or Cusinart grill/panini press....may someday my Zozurushiu bread machine or Food Saver.
Hope this helps, and do not hesitate to ask any questions.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Thanks all! My wife found great deals on stainless steel cookware and flatware, Corelle dishes, melamine mixing bowls from Wally Mart and a knife set from Macy's. We will use mismatched coffee mugs and stemless wine glasses from home. We will also pack paper plates, cups and utensils for those picnics away from the AS.

I appreciate the pics of your galley storage, FCloud9!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Real dishes for the most part: those old-fashioned blue and white spatter ware enameled metal plates and cups. Now that our new unit comes with a microwave, we may rethink this. Cloth napkins.

Square plates would probably be the most space-efficient.

Paper plates for on-the-road picnics when washing-up would be problematic.

Water-saving wash-up techniques for desert boondocking:

1. Rather than soaking the used dishes in a pan or sink of water, get one of those dish brushes and put hot soapy water into a smaller bowl.

2. Alternatively, pre-wipe dirty dishes with a Lysol (or Clorox) surface wipe, or its environmentally friendly moral equivalent.

We still use a dishpan for rinsing: this water can be disposed of outside of the trailer if filling the waste water tank is a concern.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
have yet to kit out my recently acquired AS but will be visiting IKEA for sure ... how to keep from shifting around in the cabinets while on the road is the question though ? any tips from your experienced folks ? thx
I use a storage item meant for holdind lids vertically, for my Corelle.

Works very well, and the rubber feet on them plus the weight of the dishes holds it in place nicely.

This is similar to mine. I have two in the under galley cabinet. The other holds lids, a collapsible collander, etc.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	227727  
Old 11-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We use paper plates along with the basket plate holders. And everything else is clear pyrex. I like pyrex because you can see through it. It's strong glass and it reminds me of Airstreams quality. I just have a thing for pryex dishes. Both old and new.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I had to read all of these before I could bring myself to admit to carrying a Wedgewood service for four, sterling for six, and crystal for six. This is an Airstream, after all! And I bought into the old A/S ads showing a woman all dressed up, lighting candles on the table. And yes, I carry the candles, too (but I don't dress up)! However, all of that is only if we are camping with full service, since it is water-heavy to wash.

For everyday use, we have Centura, an earlier, nicer, and much more expensive version of Corelle. It is period-correct for our vintage units. It is heavier than Corelle, too, but we just hate drinking coffee out of paper, or eating on paper unless we are boondocking or trying to make time, driving early and late, or unless I'm just feeling lazy!

I figure that if I'm camping in the top-of-the-line trailer, then I'm going to enjoy it to the hilt. And since ALL of this stuff came from thrift stores, I'm not breaking the bank, either.

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote