Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 11-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
95% of the time we use real plates (Corelle and melamine.) The other 5% of the time we use paper plates if we are trying to conserve water. We always use real silverware and obviously real pots & pans. If we are trying to conserve the grey tank, we wash in plastic dish tubs and dump the wash/rinse water in the black tank or on the ground. We are two travelers but have a full setup for four. Guests bring their own dinner service.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have this "thing" for real plates. It is kind of dumb but I like ceramic and glass much better than plastic. We suffer the chips and occasional breaks that happen and I enjoy eating off of real tableware.

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Paper plates and bowls for those times when water is an issue, Corelle unbreakable for the times that "real" matters. Real utensils always! We have purged all plastic from both units. Space and weight really not a factor....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Throw away plates bowls and utensils for regular use. Special meals we use fine China left by my Mother including coffee cups. We use regular silverware with the China.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Setting for four of ceramic, glass, and silverplate (WWII vintage U.S. Navy) utensils. More than that is an outdoor picnic with paper and plastic, or for quick travel stops.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am not roughing it. Real thing for me.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do insist on a few, special, mugs for coffee and tea.

They are part of the joy of coffee and mornings , and the early afternoon tea break, and worth the space they take. I like holding them, and looking at them.

I also have a pair of hard-to-break, stemless wine glasses that Doug's daughter found for us a couple of years ago. Some kind of special glass. Have dropped them on the floor, and they bounce.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Royal Dalton English bone china, Rogers silver flatware, and Waterford crystal stemware and glasses. We are in an Airstream, after all.

I don't really know what dinnerware Joyce bought for the Camper. I know it's hard, heavy, and red. (And it's not made in China)

She bought some stainless flatware, also not made in China. But we drink our coffee in the cups we bought from the Airstream store; the ones with the Bambi being pulled by a guy on a bicycle. Unfortunately, they are Chinese.

We also bought the insulated glasses from the AS store, made in USA.

Mostly we use paper or foam plates,and plastic drink cups and utensils. I don't like the plastic knives, either, so if I have to cut up anything tougher than scrambled eggs, I pull out my pocket knife.

BTW, my candelabra is an American made Coleman lantern.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We generally carry service for 4, though there are only 2 of us. We use Corelle dishes, Tervis tumblers and a few mugs, including a pair of vintage double-walled stainless steel coffee cups from LL Bean. We have a couple of wine glasses, and a set of GoVino wine glasses. Stainless eating utensils. We have a set of knives in a wood block, sufficient pots & baking pans, some vintage Tupperware, and a few collapsible items like measuring cups and a colander.

We put paper plates between the corelle plates to cushion them, and wrap the glass / ceramic items in paper towels. This seems to work fine. We've also seen some great ideas on the J5MM (Just 5 More Minutes) blog here: http://just5moreminutes.com/blog/mon...#more-23872705. In another post, which I can't find at the moment, she suggested using pinking shears to cut circles from felt and then putting those circles between breakable items like stacked plates during travel, which seems nicer and more fun than paper plates.

Oh, and we stock paper plates, bowls, cups and plastic eating utensils, though we prefer to use the real thing - especially at windy picnic sites. We did that at Slide Rock State Park on our way to Sedona. Our picnic neighbors spent their entire meal chasing down errant plates, cups, etc., while we glamped our way through lunch with real plates / glasses and chased only the scenery.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Like most other posters, we have both but the plastic/paper stuff is reserved for rally/potluck events where hanging out after dinner occurs and we want to dump the 'trash' immediately to avoid dishwashing upon return to our site.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Real Snob Here

We pack plates, cups and wine glasses. There are some paper plates in there somewhere but a plastic fork would be hard to find.

Weight? Really? The trailer weighs more than two tons so 4 Correll plates and 6 coffee mugs won't really make that much of a difference. We simply can not drink coffee out of a paper cup nor can we drink wine from a styrofoam cup. And, how about a nice steak on a paper plate? Won't happen.

Seriously though, using dishes really does cause issues with water usage when boondocking. We do use paper when appropriate but it is a fall back option for us. Even then, plastic forks are tough to use.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I agree with the weight thing, a few real plates and cups matters not in the overall picture! We fulltime between 2 heavy 34's, they are both loaded with everything emulating the comforts of home.... Within reason. Our only reason to use paper plates is a boondocking issue where water usage is a concern.
I love to see the galley photos from other Streamers, but I also laugh to see rice cookers, hot dog rollers, waffle irons, ice cream machines, wine fridges, tortilla steamers and the like! Where do these folks keep this stuff? I once read where someone turned the shower into kitchen appliance storage! Crazy!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #27
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
We use plastic plates, stainless flatware, plastic cups, insulated plastic tumblers, insulated stainless coffee mugs, and "real" pots and pans for cooking. I like to make meals ahead of time and reheat them as needed. I especially like to make a big pot of chicken-noodle soup, beef stew, or chili and can it in quart jars. Those can be packed accordingly to make sure they don't break in transit. One of those jars of food and a salad will make a light meal for me and my wife.

We also bring a couple of nice wine glasses to enjoy our home-made wine! We usually have some Fredonia, Sunbelt, and/or Concord that we make ourselves.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Boondocking needs a dog or two for "real plates"

We use to use washable dishes, bowls and small plates. That was the first trip or two in our Boondocking experience. With two Blue Heelers the pre wash was excellent, yet hot water, soap and drying finished the cleaning. I guess usually, as the dog wash was difficult to sort from the "hand washed" items.

Minimal stainless knives, fork and spoons that are all mismatched flatware are great. Sharp knives are a must. Easy to rinse and clean using the excess hot water for our French Press coffee off the grid.

Now my 1969 US Army coffee cup I use every day. It gets clean only if the wife gets it before I rinse it out. It is more of an annual affair for me. When hot coffee is added in the mornings... it disinfects like a hospital.

Real plates on the grid are great. You cannot cut a steak or chicken without sometimes cutting through the disposable options. Can make a big mess. Water off the grid is important to conserve after a week or more and disposable is our way to go. Stainless cooking equipment can bypass the dog pre wash if you catch the interior with a paper towel after emptying. The frying pan is not a dog pre wash item to preserve the non stick surface.

If we have relatives who invite themselves over for my wife's wonderful off the grid cooking... I do make certain that the dog pre wash is demonstrated as soon as possible. Does discourage the eagerness to invite themselves...

Do not get me wrong. Because you are using hard plates... you do not have to get yourself a dog, or two. It is not required. Although most guys will not admit having a couple family or borrowed dogs is a blessing... do not let the wife catch you doing it. What the wife does not know... does not hurt anyone.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote