Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Outdoor Kitchen on an Airstream?

My recent trip gave me a chance to walk around the park and check-out the other trailer manufacturers. I was the only Airstream there; the balance consisted of approximately 60 motor homes, SOB travel trailers and toy haulers.

A few of the SOBs had outdoor kitchens. I talked to the owners - they all loved this feature. One woman said she appreciated cooking outside when the weather was hot. One man said he liked his outdoor kitchen because he could cook the bacon outside and not stink-up the inside of the trailer. Another couple said they liked the outdoor kitchen for the fridge - a cold beer was always within range when sitting outside. Their outdoor kitchen was really attractive; it featured faux slate stone on the facade.

So, this got me thinking about an outdoor kitchen on an Airstream. Would you like to see Airstream incorporate some of the SOB design features like an outdoor kitchen?

Personally, I am indifferent about the outdoor kitchen option on an Airstream. With a few take-alongs like a Hibachi barbeque and a Coleman stove, I can also cook outside. I also have a small convection oven that I could utilize with the trailer's outdoor plug-in.

But I did like the bonus cupboard storage.
I also liked the slide-out preparation area. Would be a great area for an oudoor buffet.

One thing that would worry me about an outdoor kitchen on an Airstream is the violation of the outer shell intergrity; another source of a potential leak.

However, I'd love to see a retro outdoor kitchen on a vintage Airstream. Remember those turquoise and pink appliances from the 1950s? That would be really kewl on a redone Airstream. Anyone here thinking of doing this on their restoration project?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: should Airstream remain true to its tradionalist roots, or would you like to see some of the SOB options?

(Typical SOB outdoor kitchen featuring a fridge, microwave, sink, and two-burner range.)

__________________

__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
I don't have any opinions about it...............,

I just think it's plain silly and a waste of space. That's what picnic tables or folding tables and camp stoves are for.

Or another thought........ Leave the windows and doors open and use the kitchen that is already there.

Oh, oh, another idea,

Cut the outside wall around the inside kitchen and mount it on a swivel so you can just turn it to the outside.


Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I don't have any opinions about it...............,

I just think it's plain silly and a waste of space. That's what picnic tables or folding tables and camp stoves are for.

Or another thought........ Leave the windows and doors open and use the kitchen that is already there.

Oh, oh, another idea,

Cut the outside wall around the inside kitchen and mount it on a swivel so you can just turn it to the outside.


Ken
Ken, your point about redundancy and excess is well taken. Thanks for your opinion.

I don't know if I like the swivel idea. Again, another area that could jeopardize the over-all structural integrity, IMO.
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
I'm looking at the Evergreen specifically because it has an outdoor kitchen.
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Outdoor cooking has some advantages. Haven't I seen some kind of foldup stainless steel camp kitchen that would complement the Airstream, and stow in the back of the truck?

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I'm looking at the Evergreen specifically because it has an outdoor kitchen.
Denis, this could be interesting. We know the folks at Jackson Center read these forums.

It again raises a good question: should Airstream remain true to tradition?
Would a deferral from that tradition turn Airstream into another SOB trailer with a shiny exterior?

Would the former or latter lure more Airstream customers?
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Outdoor cooking has some advantages. Haven't I seen some kind of foldup stainless steel camp kitchen that would complement the Airstream, and stow in the back of the truck?

doug k
Doug,
That would look kewl with an Airstream, but I wouldn't want to bother with the task of lugging it around.
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ken, your point about redundancy and excess is well taken. Thanks for your opinion.

I don't know if I like the swivel idea. Again, another area that could jeopardize the over-all structural integrity, IMO.
I hope you realized that everything I said except the part about it being silly was said tongue in cheek.

Also no need to thank me for my opinion, save that for things of value.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I hope you realized that everything I said except the part about it being silly was said tongue in cheek.

Also no need to thank me for my opinion, save that for things of value.

Ken
You got me!` ha! ha!
Point taken~!

I see you are a retired ATC. My friend flies for an airline; I think he takes everything a ATC says pretty seriously....thank gawd! I guess I got it from him.
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Hmmm. While it is interesting and convenient, it seems a duplication of appliances, not really necessary...and adds a lot of extra weight. Seems to me that we can cook outside easily enough with a grill or Coleman stove when desired. We also use a cooler for beverages and an electric cooler for extra cooling space when we are going to have electricity. We don't need another built-in fridge.
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hmmm. While it is interesting and convenient, it seems a duplication of appliances, not really necessary...and adds a lot of extra weight. Seems to me that we can cook outside easily enough with a grill or Coleman stove when desired. We also use a cooler for beverages and an electric cooler for extra cooling space when we are going to have electricity. We don't need another built-in fridge.
TBRich, I am of the same opinion. What next? A slide-out outdoor bedroom....or how about a slide-out ouotdoor bathroom made to look like an outhouse for that a la naturel experience. One holer or two?
__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
TBRich, I am of the same opinion. What next? A slide-out outdoor bedroom....or how about a slide-out ouotdoor bathroom made to look like an outhouse for that a la naturel experience. One holer or two?
That has something in common with the outdoor kitchen.

It also would keep the smell out of the trailer.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
But I do like these outdoor toilet paper/outhouse lights or.....
It's farty time!

__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,693
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That has something in common with the outdoor kitchen.

It also would keep the smell out of the trailer.
Yes, but would it attract the bears....or a moose in heat?
__________________

__________________
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.