Old 04-01-2003, 06:26 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Still stand by my post. Charcoal has a distinct taste that beats the conv of gas. Of course when not on the road, LP gas is king.

Regards,

Eric

Old 04-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Let me get this straight, when you are home and have all the room you need, the ability to store briquets you use gas? Traveling you use charcoal because the food tastes better?

I have both at home but since I got the gas Webber, I haven't used the charcoal one. Convenience, convenience. I really can't taste a difference unless I use mesquite charcoal and need to cook briskets or ribs all day long.

Gotta go, I just made myself hungry!!!!!!!!!!

SASS #41766
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's basically right. I don't carry the tanks or the connections when I'm on the road. I like the taste of BBQ on charcoal (and I carry small amounts with me), but I'm also into the conv of gas when I'm home. More times than not, I don't want to spend a bunch of extra time on the BBQ when home mostly cause I entertain when home and it's easier and more conv. When I'm on vacation or away from home, I try to get out of the instant gratification mode of thinking and go back to basics (somehwhat). I know it sounds a bit odd, but hey to each their own.

I'm the same way when I camp. I usually don't seek out electricity, yet when home, I have it in bulk if I'm willing to pay for the amps. To me, I am all for conv, but also, I try to balance being away from home too and doing things a bit different than I might when I'm home.

Eric
Old 04-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Makes sense to me.
SASS #41766
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:10 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melvin, check out Ducane BBQ's. They make a very small but rugged portable unit. Well made and easy to carry/set-up. It's a full blown gas bbq and I use mine regularly in the field.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Melvin, here's the URL to the Ducane portable unit:

http://www.ducane.com/take_it_or_leave_it.asp

Have fun!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Ducane makes great stuff! I have a built-in natural gas model at the house. After rebuilding Home Depot cheapies every year all I have to do with the Ducane is give it a good cleaning every so often. On the road I use a cool little cast aluminum tabletop model from Charbroil.

Chas
Old 04-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Instead of carrying an extra tank.....

just outfit your grill with a longer hose. Disconnect the gas line on one of the tanks on the trailer tongue, and use it!

Another option, is the "Second Chance" propane adapter. It let's you use those small 1 lb propane bottles.

I bought a nice butane powered hotplate on Ebay. It uses butane canisters. You can get these burners at places like West Marine, or do a search on Ebay for "Butane Camp Stoves".

I do like to use charcoal whenever possible.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Still stand by my post. Charcoal has a distinct taste that beats the conv of gas. Of course when not on the road, LP gas is king.

Regards,

Eric
I sold my home propane grill. We never used it. I agree that I like the taste better on a charcoal. My kids are small so the little Smoky is what we use there. I'll proably have to buy a larger grill for home before long now that the kids are a little older.
Less weight for travel as well. No burners, controls and hoses. Just a bag of Kingsford that you can pick up at any grocerie store.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:40 AM   #24
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Forget the gas....everyone needs one of these...

Allow me to introduce you to the "Lev-U-Lator"

http://www.levinphotography.com/pages/bbq.html
Old 04-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
So is the extra fitting by the regulator the only way to easily connect to the trailer's gas?

The burners on our new to us 85 look really similar to our SOB trailer. I got tired of waiting for the Spagetti water to boil and not having enough output for my wok. I want to travel with one of those large free standing commercial burners that come with the turkey frying kits. We are usually far from shore power so not heating up the kitchen is a real plus with cooking outside.

I do not now nor have I ever grilled over a gas flame. I looked for four months to find my square traveling Weber charcol grill. All I could find were the gas versions ! Not that theres anything wrong with grilling over gas, it just isn't my style.
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is one cool looking contraption. Is that a grill?

BTW, I like the nose, it adds to the event nicely!

Where roughly in the Chicago area are you Jonathan? I see you had the Chicago Beer Society apron on.

Eric
Old 04-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #27
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
rcmenz,

There are many locations to tap into the gas line, it just depends on what you want to do and where.

The fittings by the bottles, where it goes from flex to hard pipe/copper is the easiest to get to, and will also give you the higest rate of flow.

The extend-a-hoses come in all diffrent lengths, If you want to use the outside burner you described, you may not want to be under your awning anyway due to the exaust heat rising and possibly damaging your awning.

The gas lines run down the exterior belly of the coach. You can break into the lines almost anywhere and get a gas feed. Usally at each appliance feed there is a fitting "T" that goes to each appliance off the main line.

I am considering tapping into my gas feed for a small grill, but I need to find one I like that will fit in one of my Vintage motorhome exterior compartments (Read small)

With all of that being said, if gas scares you have a Professional do the work. If not properly handled it can burn you, freeze you or kill you.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:49 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
If not properly handled it can burn you, freeze you or kill you.
Not to be dramatic, but a gas explosion in the front by both tanks and battery(s) has the potential to wreck your whole week. There is a bunch of equiv sticks of dynamite up front if a mistake is made.... If you have any reservations about it, have it done!

Regards,

Eric