Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Our Wish List for Airstream Jefferson Center

What is your wish for your Airstream camper? 45 footer? Slideout? etc. etc.

My wish for Airstream Jefferson Center to put in a power cord retractor inside.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I wish I could add a reel for the 50 amp cable. Anaconda actually!

Also, that would be Jefferson Starship Center!

Or actually, Jackson Center, ohio.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
couldn't think right at that moment

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 08-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You know they do make a power-retractable reel that would fit into an Airstream side or rear compartment. I ran into a gentleman at Alumapolosa and he had it in his catalog. I believe it was $179. Might be good for a 30 amp cable. but probably not for the 50 amp

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
ahhhh there is no room for the retractor in the Bambi 16 footer, but not upright. maybe wheel hangin horizonally under the floor rather than vertical anywhere inside. of course with cover similar to spare tire cover to protect the retractor from dirt and flying rocks.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 08-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
A modest list

My wishes for AS are, I believe, rather modest:

1) Implement lean controls to increase the quality of the fit and finish of your trailers. Do you really want customers discovering incomplete or improper assembly, cables misrouted, loose screws, construction debris strewn about, poor caulking, etc.? Let's clean up the trailers and do it right, do it once, the first time.

2) Let's improve the product itself -- let's engineer the trailer to work in the environment for which it is intended. No more placing ammonia evaporation refrigerators in the BaseCamp in direct sunlight without adequate ventilation such that they don't work. We really should not have to point this out. No more designing trailers with suicide doors, or doors that impinge on open windows or awning arms. Let's make sure when we introduce new products like (nest) that they are not an embarrassment to the brand. Test products to failure, then fix the problems discovered. Design-Build-Test. Let's design intelligently, not lazily, or not doing it at all. Think.

3) How about putting in a sub-floor that will not rot? Other trailers have aluminum flooring. There is also a remarkable composite material called Coosa Board that is just as strong and easy to work with as plywood, but is water proof, critter proof, mold resistant, and 30% lighter than plywood! WOW! The added cost of the material is a fraction of the total cost of the trailer but would last for decades, if not longer.

4) Change the mindset of Thor from milking the Airstream brand for as much profit as possible, and focus instead on making the best TT on the market (while still making a handsome profit) and reap the rewards. In other words, be more like Apple in this regard.

If Airstream does this, it would set the standard in the domestic RV industry, become the quality leader in the market, burnish it's brand reputation, be more responsive to customer needs, innovate next generation technologies that are both useful and effective and set the company on the path to even greater success.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
My wishes for AS are, I believe, rather modest:

1) Implement lean controls to increase the quality of the fit and finish of your trailers. Do you really want customers discovering incomplete or improper assembly, cables misrouted, loose screws, construction debris strewn about, poor caulking, etc.? Let's clean up the trailers and do it right, do it once, the first time.

2) Let's improve the product itself -- let's engineer the trailer to work in the environment for which it is intended. No more placing ammonia evaporation refrigerators in the BaseCamp in direct sunlight without adequate ventilation such that they don't work. We really should not have to point this out. No more designing trailers with suicide doors, or doors that impinge on open windows or awning arms. Let's make sure when we introduce new products like (nest) that they are not an embarrassment to the brand. Test products to failure, then fix the problems discovered. Design-Build-Test. Let's design intelligently, not lazily, or not doing it at all. Think.

3) How about putting in a sub-floor that will not rot? Other trailers have aluminum flooring. There is also a remarkable composite material called Coosa Board that is just as strong and easy to work with as plywood, but is water proof, critter proof, mold resistant, and 30% lighter than plywood! WOW! The added cost of the material is a fraction of the total cost of the trailer but would last for decades, if not longer.

4) Change the mindset of Thor from milking the Airstream brand for as much profit as possible, and focus instead on making the best TT on the market (while still making a handsome profit) and reap the rewards. In other words, be more like Apple in this regard.

If Airstream does this, it would set the standard in the domestic RV industry, become the quality leader in the market, burnish it's brand reputation, be more responsive to customer needs, innovate next generation technologies that are both useful and effective and set the company on the path to even greater success.
Ain’t this the truth?!?!
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
three cheers for Skyguyscott!!!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
MAKE NO CHANGES - ONLY IMPROVEMENTS
-Wally Byum-
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
my wishes for as are, i believe, rather modest:

1) implement lean controls to increase the quality of the fit and finish of your trailers. Do you really want customers discovering incomplete or improper assembly, cables misrouted, loose screws, construction debris strewn about, poor caulking, etc.? Let's clean up the trailers and do it right, do it once, the first time.

2) let's improve the product itself -- let's engineer the trailer to work in the environment for which it is intended. No more placing ammonia evaporation refrigerators in the basecamp in direct sunlight without adequate ventilation such that they don't work. We really should not have to point this out. No more designing trailers with suicide doors, or doors that impinge on open windows or awning arms. Let's make sure when we introduce new products like (nest) that they are not an embarrassment to the brand. Test products to failure, then fix the problems discovered. Design-build-test. Let's design intelligently, not lazily, or not doing it at all. Think.

3) how about putting in a sub-floor that will not rot? Other trailers have aluminum flooring. There is also a remarkable composite material called coosa board that is just as strong and easy to work with as plywood, but is water proof, critter proof, mold resistant, and 30% lighter than plywood! Wow! The added cost of the material is a fraction of the total cost of the trailer but would last for decades, if not longer.

4) change the mindset of thor from milking the airstream brand for as much profit as possible, and focus instead on making the best tt on the market (while still making a handsome profit) and reap the rewards. In other words, be more like apple in this regard.

If airstream does this, it would set the standard in the domestic rv industry, become the quality leader in the market, burnish it's brand reputation, be more responsive to customer needs, innovate next generation technologies that are both useful and effective and set the company on the path to even greater success.

ditto 👆

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Skyguyscott covers the bases. I experienced the rotted floor in our old Bambi from a long term undetected leak.

I wonder, does Airstream have a Consumer Panel? With a new factory, production to ramp up, more models and employees, face-to-face feedback or input from a panel of users should be put in place. Hello? Airstream? Be a sector leader and put this in place. We have some REALLY smart owners out here!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
My Dream AS
Classic 28 Twin RB
Rap around rear windows
Recliners (Full)
And everything Skyguyscott said!!!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Appleton , Wisconsin
With front placed beds, please put the wall mounted reading lights on the other side. This would put the head of the bed on the curb side, and facing the outside door. Viewing the television from bed would now be possible. Plus it creeps me out not to be able to see the outside door from the current reading light placement, behind the wardrobe closet. Convenience and safety factors are my concern.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I would love a 23FB twin with a rear hatch to carry my 2@75 lb E-Bikes, the same layout as the 25FB twin only 2 ft shorter lounge.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
High Desert Cat

2021 23' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I think/believe the designers, engineers at JC should look into what the folks at Bowlus are doing with their trailers. Certainly, it is a more spartan design, but the end product does have some interesting touches, like an aluminum sub flooring, and an interesting lighting system. It’s always good to know your ‘competition’.
akmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Do any of the upper management people at Airstream actually use an Airstream? If not, why not? Maybe an "Undercover Boss" type of arrangement would be helpful. Slip an order in for a trailer, so that the line people don't know where it really is going, and then give it to one of the management people to use for a week or two. When the trailer comes back, give it to someone else, and so on. I suspect that there would soon be some positive changes in the works.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Lose the “use/store” switch, and replace it with a actual battery on/off switch. I know, the feds/propane detector etc, but really.
Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Charleston , Arkansas
My wish list would be a 30 foot International Serenity Bunkhouse Twin Bed with Salsa Decor.
TXWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
Newbie Wannabe

San Diego , CA
improvement for solo users

I think there ought to be an option to remove the dinette and replace with a full size recliner with swing out/fold down table. As a solo user I have no plans to entertain inside the coach and all that extra seating is just taking up space.

A swing away table can be used to work on, eat on, and then put away when not needed. Maybe leaving space for more cabinets too.
Retirement pending
darcym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
petaluma , California
Rain rain rain on the Oregon coast

How about an awning that you can actually use in the rain? I’d like to go outside instead of sitting indoors all day long...
airbolt is offline   Reply With Quote