Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Shreveport , Louisiana
Our Loss

My husband and I were the proud owners of a 2005 25’ international CCD for 22 months before a devastating accident occurred while moving from California to Louisiana. The tow vehicle was a 2003 GMC Sierra 1/5 ton.

On July 1st, about 100 miles west of the Grand Canyon on highway 40, the trailer began to sway and fishtail when passing a semi/tractor trailer on a downhill. As the swaying and serving became more intense, I began to realize that we were beyond the point of saving. I think in an attempt to not involve other vehicles around us, our truck swerved one last time before making a nearly perpendicular hit to the guardrail on the right side of the road. The driver tried to accelerate and did not hit the brakes. I was the passenger and have thought many times over that I should have reached over and pulled the manual trailer brake. (my husband was not driving).

Traveling nearly 60-65 mph, we rolled some 7-8 times down a steep
embankment (approx. 150-200 ft), stopping upside down some 50 feet shy
of a small river. Our dog was ejected sometime, I’m guessing, during the first rollover. With fuel dripping on us, all windows shattered, and only a small driver's side window opening, we escaped. I later learned that the roof on the passenger's side where I was sitting, was approximately 8-12 inches above the seat bottom.

I’m happy to say everyone survived. It really is a miracle. But I must add that seatbelts DO save lives. I would NOT be here today if I had not had mine on (and a few angels around).

Thanks to this forum, I’ve learned that the passing of the tractor trailer/semi could have played a part.
However, it has been 8 weeks since the accident and I’m still waiting for the settlement with the insurance (State Farm, Southern California), apparently "the check is in the mail." I received a letter from them stating that their investigation determined the driver was at fault. My question is (although I have many): what is the purpose of the insurance’s determination of “fault” (this was a one car accident and they've agreed to pay)? Does this play a role in whether or not they drop us or our premiums increase? If so, should I fight to clarify that a fault is difficult to determine in this case? We were well within speed limit and had done nothing wrong to instigate the accident.
Any advice on whether or not I should fight this issue would be helpful!
Pictures are attached.
Joy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2905.JPG
Views:	2633
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	44094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2930.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	44095  

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG
Views:	1247
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	44096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	44097  

gardenofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
One photo didn't attach....shows were the truck and trailer landed down the steep embankment...may have to zoom into to see the truck in the distance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2897copy.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	44098  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Thank goodness everyone is OK. It is a sobering post- as my wife heads out to montana in the morning.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
From your pictures, your story is amazing. It is a sobering post. I don't know much about insurance, but it sounds like they may be going after your driver or the driver's policy for the claim.

Glad you were able to share this with all of us.

Kristine
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
What a bummer

Am very sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for sharing the particulars as it can be a learning experience for others to hear what has unfortunately happened to you. Did you have a sway control bar? We are quite new at trailering so your photos are quite sobering....hope your dog is okay.....and both your truck and trailer can be replaced.....please keep us posted on the outcome with your insurance company as we have no experience with trailering insurance claims....thanks again for sharing, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
What a devastating accident. You must be both sick to your stomach and filled with joy to be alive when you look at the photos! I'm almost afraid to ask, but when you say "everyone survived", do you mean your dog as well? I hope so. And I hope the insurance issues resolve quickly!!
Frankie
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
OMG!

You are sooo blessed to have survived this! It makes me sick to look at the photos...I am so happy you came out alive ~

Hopefully, nobody here has to ever witness that in person...thanks for the pictures. Hope you work out the insurance settlement...although, that seems insignificant considering what you have must have gone through the last couple of weeks!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
So glad you are here to provide a report and everyone is ok, it makes everyone think. I would not accept the finding of fault have a lawyer respond and get it on record. BTW get the check first.

I notice a trend here, isn't this about the 3rd or 4th time this type of sway has been reported happening to an Airstream Going down hill? I am getting very worried.

Which hitch system was in use at the time?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
WOW!

That's the most devastating accident I've ever heard about involvong an Airstream.

John
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Wow!

I’ll admit, I had to go do other things for a while and digest the photos. You certainly were very lucky and unlucky. Thank goodness the good luck is that you are all right. Best of luck.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good Grief!

At least everyone is okay. I do have a question that may shed light on the delay in getting your check. Was the driver a named insured on your policy?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I notice a trend here, isn't this about the 3rd or 4th time this type of sway has been reported happening to an Airstream Going down hill? I am getting very worried.
Jim,

Normally one of the times when you are most at risk for sway is when you are going down hill. Add to this you are dealing with trying to pass a semi, all of which are ingredients to induce or enhance sway conditions. This is not an Airstream issue, since it can happen with any travel trailer. As a matter of fact an Airstream is probably a little more tolerant of these conditions.

I have a couple of rules I go by. I don't pass going down hill, I try to keep semi's from passing me when going down hill, and finally I take special care when coming from wind shielded areas into open areas where wind gusts might be present.

I learned this pretty much from the school of hard knocks. While I never lost control of a trailer, I've been through some scary situations in each count of the situations above.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh, no! I am SO sorry. Thankfully you are okay!!!!! Trucks and trailers can be replaced, while people and pets are precious cargo.

I am sorry you are having problems with the insurance. The driver's primary insurance company should be the one paying. If the insurance on your tow vehicle and trailer is a different insurance, it should fill the gap if one is left. It is possible they can find fault but I would fight it.

Good luck and I hope it is resolved soon!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenofjoy
My husband and I were the proud owners of a 2005 25’ international CCD for 22 months before a devastating accident occurred while moving from California to Louisiana. The tow vehicle was a 2003 GMC Sierra 1/5 ton.

On July 1st, about 100 miles west of the Grand Canyon on highway 40, the trailer began to sway and fishtail when passing a semi/tractor trailer on a downhill. As the swaying and serving became more intense, I began to realize that we were beyond the point of saving. I think in an attempt to not involve other vehicles around us, our truck swerved one last time before making a nearly perpendicular hit to the guardrail on the right side of the road. The driver tried to accelerate and did not hit the brakes. I was the passenger and have thought many times over that I should have reached over and pulled the manual trailer brake. (my husband was not driving).

Traveling nearly 60-65 mph, we rolled some 7-8 times down a steep
embankment (approx. 150-200 ft), stopping upside down some 50 feet shy
of a small river. Our dog was ejected sometime, I’m guessing, during the first rollover. With fuel dripping on us, all windows shattered, and only a small driver's side window opening, we escaped. I later learned that the roof on the passenger's side where I was sitting, was approximately 8-12 inches above the seat bottom.

I’m happy to say everyone survived. It really is a miracle. But I must add that seatbelts DO save lives. I would NOT be here today if I had not had mine on (and a few angels around).

Thanks to this forum, I’ve learned that the passing of the tractor trailer/semi could have played a part.
However, it has been 8 weeks since the accident and I’m still waiting for the settlement with the insurance (State Farm, Southern California), apparently "the check is in the mail." I received a letter from them stating that their investigation determined the driver was at fault. My question is (although I have many): what is the purpose of the insurance’s determination of “fault” (this was a one car accident and they've agreed to pay)? Does this play a role in whether or not they drop us or our premiums increase? If so, should I fight to clarify that a fault is difficult to determine in this case? We were well within speed limit and had done nothing wrong to instigate the accident.
Any advice on whether or not I should fight this issue would be helpful!
Pictures are attached.
Joy
Same question comes to mind? Did you have a sway control hitch? If so which brand?
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
So glad everyone is ok. Makes us all count our blessings.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
We read your post with great interest since we wrecked our "new" Airstream just two weeks ago. We too are still waiting for the insurance company. They (insurance company) didn't have any trouble coming to a quick decision on what to do with the truck but the Airstream must have everyone scratching their heads. Ours has considerable damage - we believe it is totaled - but it is nothing compared to what you sustained. When I look at the pictures it's hard to believe that you were not hurt. You were very, very fortunate in that aspect.

Are you looking to get back in another Airstream?
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
yes it was checked and rechecked to saftey/security. I imagine that at the point we rolled down the 70 degree embankment, the trailer jacknight and also became disconnected from all the rolling and spinning.

However, it was all set up properly.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have very little to add or say that has not been said already - I am speechless. You are truly blessed and surrounded by angels and will hopefully one day rejoin the world of Airstreaming.

Please, let us know the status of the dog, it is the one hanging issue.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
I would prefer to not discuss the WD hitch or sway bar at this time...

As for the dog (I know many have ask), she also survived.

She was sitting in the middle front seat where the center console folds up and was unseat-belted. She was ejected at some point and ran back up the STEEP hill and over the freeway into a second accident. She had a few minor injuries but is doing well, angels were with her to. But because she wanted to sit in the middle front, the center console was flipped up, which saved my life as I had room to lay down as the roof caved in on my side and then I had room to squeeze out when we stopped rolling.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
This is Frankie's husband Brian, Thank God that everyone is "OK". Pickups and Airstreams can be replaced. People can not! I stongly agree that others should not jump to conclusions that this is a problem with Airsteams, but in general with all trailers. I have pulled HEAVY trailers all my driving life down steep hills at high speeds and passing trucks as well to get momentum to head back up the other side. The weight of the tongue of the trailer has more to do with swaying than anything. If your trailer does not have sufficient tongue weight, it will sway. You had mentioned that you were moving, was the back of the trailer loaded with heavier items than the front? Was it empty? Were the water, black, grey, propane tanks full or empty? Every little thing matters. Hopefully this kind of accident can be prevented in the future with forums like this one with people that want to help others. Pulling a trailer is very serious business. We hope the insurance company will think about your loss and not just their profits. Brian
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote