Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Hensley Hitch

Boy it looks Ugly.I am glad you are both ok.Look into a Hensley Hitch on your next trailer.I am a firm believer in it.I am a new Hensley convert.

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #58
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I too was unable to see the pictures until just now.

Yeah. This is certainly one of the worst I've seen!!! Ending up down that hill...oye vey.

It is a miracle that you are alive!!!!

Stay well, and keep us posted.

Jonathan

Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #59
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
What An Incredible Thread!!!

Just finished reading all the posts. I will echo everyone in saying how glad we are that everyone is ok!!! This thread has some very sound advice. Please all, slow down,stay aware,and be safe!!!......God bless....keep us posted.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Shreveport , Louisiana
Police report photos

I have just received 8 new photos from the police report and have added these to my myspace. I will try to add here, if I can.

MySpace.com - Joy - 33 - Female - Shreveport, Louisiana - www.myspace.com/gardenofjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	allan photo1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	44152   Click image for larger version

Name:	allan photo2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	44153  

Name:	allan photo3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	44154   Click image for larger version

Name:	allan photo4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	44155  

Name:	allan photo5.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	44156   Click image for larger version

Name:	allan photo6.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	44157  

Name:	allan photo7.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	44158   Click image for larger version

Name:	allan photo8.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	44159  

Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Yuck

It makes me sick to look at the pics.Very likey to be alive. Opps looks like you forgot the safety chains.Look they are still hooked on the hitch.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #62
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Rochester , New Hampshire
My stomach flips just looking at these photos. It is amazing no one was hurt. I am just in shock.
WBCCI # 5971
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Sway recovery

It may be one of those things that are unspoken because every (but me) takes it for granted, but my old travel trailer mentor, may he rest in peace, told me there were three things you had to do in a sway (he called it fishtail) event:
1. Apply the trailer brake as much as possible without locking up the trailer wheels (already covered)
2. Mash the gas (also already covered).
3. Hold the steering wheel steady. You cannot steer out of this thing, just hit the trailer brakes, mash the gas, hold the steering steady and prey the road dosen't run out before the "fish tail" does.
These pearls served me well with a 78 terry 26 foot. I had no anti-sway devices installed. After that episode I installed dual anti sway devices (friction, one on each side) and upgraded to LT tires on the tow vehicle (LRD) from P metric radials. The tow vehicle was a 3/4 ton Dodge van.
I would like to echo what a South Carolina State Trooper told a good friend of mine after my friend survived a roll over in a 16 yard Sterling Dump truck in which the door post cut the drivers portion of the bench seat in half..."I don't know what God put you on this earth for, but you haven't done it yet". My friend even though seriously injured returned to work a few weeks ago. He walked into the office.
Beginner
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
One photo was somehow inverted...not that it makes a difference. The correct orientation is below...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	allan photo2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	44160  
Old 09-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
Thank you for all your support and words of encouragement.

When we are emotionally ready to have another airstream, we will definitely heed everyone's advice on here about the Henley Hitches.

Thank you for all your encouraging words and feedkback. I hope you have a safe and SLOW holliday weekend....As for me, I'm going try and find out why "God isn't done with me yet."

Pease and love,
Joy
Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
wow, just now saw the pictures, and it is indeed unbelievable you both walked away relatively unhurt! Talk about "totalled"!! I could easily see how this could have a spiritual side to it, and could be a significant life-changing event for you. Best wishes with everything- tim
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #67

Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenofjoy
1. the trailer began to sway and fishtail when passing a semi/tractor trailer on a downhill. I’ve learned that the passing of the tractor trailer/semi could have played a part. 2. (this was a one car accident and they've agreed to pay)?
Congratulations for wearing your sesatbelts and surviving the crash. Glad you didn't take anyone else out with you. Take my opinion with the spirit intended.

1. Hard way to learn an obvious lesson in cause and effect. 2. My only opinioin based on previous academic experience is that this really wasn't an accident. An accident is something that could not in any way have been avoided. This appears to be an avoidable crash based on the limited information you've provided.

Excessive speed under iminent condition's, lack of effective appropriate sway control equipment, lack of cause and effect awareness, and driver culpability, all add up to an insurance company's possible justification to delay, underpay, or possibly not pay at all your claim at all; although I doubt non payment at all will be the case. Insurance companies expect that if an insured driver is going to hitch up a rig, strap themselves into a tow vehicle, and take control of 24,000 lbs+ of moving equipment down the road, that the driver is aware of the accepted liability and the cause and effect of mass vs. motion vs. common sense. I really hate this crash happened; it was probably quite easilly avoidable. Towing a camper is serious business. Just be grateful you didn't hurt anyone else or getting your rig replaced would be the least of your problems for years to come.

Get your settlement, get yourself a new TV & TT, and hit the road again. Life's too short to worry about the small stuff and what's already happened. And the big stuff will usually take care of itself. The 2008 models are just hitting the dealer lots. Get out there and start taking notes.

As for why you're still here, maybe God has a plan for you to invent a better light bulb or something. Whatever it is, don't waste another minute worrying about what happened. Get back out there and enjoy the little time you have left and don't let it happen again. We're all just a breath away from death. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See ya'll down the road!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #68
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rodney asked a good question that's worth pondering - how come we've all accellerated downhill to make the next rise, and never had a problem?

The answer is that accellerating downhill is not really a problem. The problem happens when we accellerate and then need to slow down while still going downhill. So we take our foot off the gas - but the trailer wants to keep going down hill. Sway condition one. Insert another sway condition - such as a truck's bow wave, and you've got a real problem. Then you're hoping that some combination of trailer brakes and truck accelleration will straighten you out. And that you've not overcorrected your steering.

And - the higher the speed, the more likely things will go beyond your control.

Good luck. Pat
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Re: "How come we've all accelerated downhill to make the next rise, and never had a problem?"

We've only had our AS for a little over two years, but every trip we've taken so far has had long downhills and steep rises. My question is rather, how come I've never accelerated downhill to make the next rise?

I guess it never occurred to me to do something so dangerous. In CA our tow speed is limited to 55 mph. When I reach the next rise, I tap the overdrive button to Out and keep the speed steady with higher RPMs in a lower gear.

Having a 4.30 differential ratio is a big help, too. That can make compression braking do most if not all of the downhill braking. So far this has approach has worked well in the Sierra Nevadas up to 9,500 feet and back down.

Right on about the angels!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Lander , Wyoming
Engine Brake?

Hey--

I have a 3500 Dually that I use to haul my horse trailer and my airstream (though not at the same time). My Dad had an engine brake installed for the steep hills our out families ranch in Wyoming. We have a 34'excella and whenever things get hairy I always just use my engine brake and that seems to slow everything way down-- is that a good solution?