Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
So glad everyone is ok. Makes us all count our blessings.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
We read your post with great interest since we wrecked our "new" Airstream just two weeks ago. We too are still waiting for the insurance company. They (insurance company) didn't have any trouble coming to a quick decision on what to do with the truck but the Airstream must have everyone scratching their heads. Ours has considerable damage - we believe it is totaled - but it is nothing compared to what you sustained. When I look at the pictures it's hard to believe that you were not hurt. You were very, very fortunate in that aspect.

Are you looking to get back in another Airstream?

Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Shreveport , Louisiana
yes it was checked and rechecked to saftey/security. I imagine that at the point we rolled down the 70 degree embankment, the trailer jacknight and also became disconnected from all the rolling and spinning.

However, it was all set up properly.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have very little to add or say that has not been said already - I am speechless. You are truly blessed and surrounded by angels and will hopefully one day rejoin the world of Airstreaming.

Please, let us know the status of the dog, it is the one hanging issue.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
I would prefer to not discuss the WD hitch or sway bar at this time...

As for the dog (I know many have ask), she also survived.

She was sitting in the middle front seat where the center console folds up and was unseat-belted. She was ejected at some point and ran back up the STEEP hill and over the freeway into a second accident. She had a few minor injuries but is doing well, angels were with her to. But because she wanted to sit in the middle front, the center console was flipped up, which saved my life as I had room to lay down as the roof caved in on my side and then I had room to squeeze out when we stopped rolling.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
This is Frankie's husband Brian, Thank God that everyone is "OK". Pickups and Airstreams can be replaced. People can not! I stongly agree that others should not jump to conclusions that this is a problem with Airsteams, but in general with all trailers. I have pulled HEAVY trailers all my driving life down steep hills at high speeds and passing trucks as well to get momentum to head back up the other side. The weight of the tongue of the trailer has more to do with swaying than anything. If your trailer does not have sufficient tongue weight, it will sway. You had mentioned that you were moving, was the back of the trailer loaded with heavier items than the front? Was it empty? Were the water, black, grey, propane tanks full or empty? Every little thing matters. Hopefully this kind of accident can be prevented in the future with forums like this one with people that want to help others. Pulling a trailer is very serious business. We hope the insurance company will think about your loss and not just their profits. Brian
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #21

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Send a message via Yahoo to neptune1939
Thank God! It's great that everyone survived! I was an insurance agent for 23-years as well as a police officer for 20-years; in all likelyhood unless a particular person is an "excluded driver" the majority of larger companies cover "family" members automatically. I can almost guarantee though that the cause of the accident will be deemed driver error. I'm not sure of most states, but the reason California places a 55-mph as a maximum speed for towing vehicles is to lessen the swaying and bouncing of a trailer. I've seen some trailers momentarily go airborne due to bouncing - If it happens in a turn the rear of the trailer can overtake the vehicle. You especially see this with vehicles that have a short and/or narrow wheel base. The trailer pushes a vehicle downhill and speed can be a critical factor in controlling sway. Sway bars do help but they are not a cure-all. Also, depending on the weight of your trailer, your tow vehicle might have been too light. I purposly purchased a Ford F-350 Diesel Crew cab for that very reason. It was probably overkill for towing but its not only heavy but has a long and wide wheel base. These features provide better stability when towing. Hope your doing well, Regards, Earl
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune1939
Thank God! It's great that everyone survived! I was an insurance agent for 23-years as well as a police officer for 20-years; in all likelyhood unless a particular person is an "excluded driver" the majority of larger companies cover "family" members automatically. I can almost guarantee though that the cause of the accident will be deemed driver error. I'm not sure of most states, but the reason California places a 55-mph as a maximum speed
, Earl
Earl, I'm trying to understand. What evidence suggests that the primary cause was driver error. We were at the top of a hill, going approximately 55, when a semi/tractor trailer passed. Now I have to be quite honest, becuase I don't recell if we passed him or he passed us. I had tended to weight distributions (no water in tanks, no luggage in back of trailer, propane tanks filled and in front on tongue) maintained reasonable towing speed, etc. Why does this not look like a 'No fault" accident. Would pushing on the manual trailer brake have helped?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can only echo the sentiments others have said here...we are so glad you came through this horrific experience in one piece...and your little dog, too. You are way lucky... Think this sort of thing always has a sobering effect on the rest of us...we all tow thousands of pounds of trailer around the country... and it reminds each of us to drive carefully, safely and to have our rigs in the proper condition for the road. Unfortunatley, accidents will continue to happen, but if we all do our parts, accidents will be less frequent.

We're glad you are OK...and know that on the other end of this you will be able to move on...hopefully with an AS in tow to build new memories...

TB
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The driver is at fault when no other cause can be found. In your case most of the evidence was destroyed.

I am sorry for your loss. Everyone is ok that is what counts.

You indicated you were "interfacing" with a large truck at the top of the hill. Was the wind blowing from the side. This can make the truck passing more pronumnced. Once the truck no longer shelters the trailer a lot of forace can be applied to the rear of the trailer. The larger the difference in the speeds of the vehicles the larger the effect.

As for the maual trailer brake activation: The pros say don't do it. Most people in a panic will fully activate the brakes usually causing the traielr brakes to lock up. At this point you have lost all hope of regaining control.

Once again you are all ok. That is what counts.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #25
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
There must have been many busy angels that day.
After looking at photos, is amazing everyone is OK.
Thanks for the dog update too.

Wow, how did you get out of that truck!
Looking down the bank at your Airstream reminds me of the begining of 'Paint Your Wagon' with a much better outcome.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #26
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
As far as should you fight it...
If they pay your losses, I would get past it and move on.
Looks like you have much more to worry about.
Yes, it will be on your record a while, and may make your premiums go up.

Rare is anyone happy about a insurance settlement.
Be glad your still around, and don't let them add to your problems.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenofjoy
Earl, I'm trying to understand. What evidence suggests that the primary cause was driver error. We were at the top of a hill, going approximately 55, when a semi/tractor trailer passed. Now I have to be quite honest, becuase I don't recell if we passed him or he passed us. I had tended to weight distributions (no water in tanks, no luggage in back of trailer, propane tanks filled and in front on tongue) maintained reasonable towing speed, etc. Why does this not look like a 'No fault" accident. Would pushing on the manual trailer brake have helped?
Sorry to hear about your accident, and like all others I will thank God that all of you--including the dog--survived.

Somewhere I heard that something like 60% of all Airstreams ever built are still on the road (or at least titled somewhere). The thing they don't tell you is that the rest of them have been rolled! Don't get me wrong--Airstreams are better than most ball hitch trailers in this respect, but all ball hitch trailers are more or less susceptible to loss of control due to the "tail wagging the dog" problem like you experienced.

To answer your question, YES, applying manual trailer braking would have helped. It's the only way to stop that sickening instability once it starts.

To keep it from starting,

1. The best thing is a high ratio of tow vehicle weight to trailer weight, and the longer tow vehicle wheelbase, the better. This is one reason short SUVs are not suitable for towing a long trailer, no matter how much horsepower they have.

2. Yes, you want the center of gravity of the trailer forward--this means tongue weight at least 10% of total trailer weight and a little more is better. You were apparently doing the right thing in watching your tank levels.

3. The lever arm from the hitch ball to the rear wheels needs to be kept as short as possible. Vehicles with minimal rear overhang are better. If you really want to eliminate the problem you can buy special hitches like the Pull-rite or Hensley Arrow that address this issue in their design.

4. In addition to a downhill situation--where the trailer is trying to push the tow vehicle--aerodynamic forces from passing semis are usually what starts the side-to-side oscillation. Aerodynamic forces are proportional to the square of the speed--for example, 4 times higher at 60 miles per hour than at 30 miles per hour. Going downhill in heavy traffic, if at all possible, slow down--let them go around you.

Good luck with the insurance company, and hope this experience will not scare you out of trailering!

Best regards,
Nuvi
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
That is one horrible accident and I'm amazed and delighted nobody was seriously injured. One thing in your post that caught my attention however, was the comment about the manual override button on the brake controller. There is a misconception that the override button is designed to control trailer fishtailing. There might be times when it can correct a minor slow speed situation but more often the worst thing you could do is grab and squeeze the manual override in a panic situation. Moot point in your case and I don't want to change the subject but wanted to plant the seed for others to think about in case we ever have to experience this again. Glad you're alright and able to post you're experience.