Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Stow , Massachusetts
Ordering An Airstream ....not so great....

I'm guessing the worst part with AS is trying to get one.
We researched for several weeks. Living in the northeast our convenient choices were in NJ,NH,NY. Nothing in our state which is fine. We worked with a really informative sales person to become educated.

So finally we pulled the trigger in August. We were told we would see it mid October now mid November. I get it... from what I hear they're in big demand.

But once I mailed the down payment its been crickets.... no updates, slow response to emails, no return phone calls. I mean really these AS are $$$

Am I the only one going through this???
comeonletsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you might have a problem with a specific dealership not with Airstream. If you have given up on the dealership doing the right thing you could contact Airstream directly. Pretty sure they like to hear of such possible poor customer service on the part of their dealerships. Good luck. Hope it all works out to your satisfaction.
* There is almost always two sides to every story. We usually only hear one side here.
* I believe it is normal to take 4 to 6 months for delivery of a custom ordered Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Stow , Massachusetts
Perhaps it's the dealer. Although they seemed great at the get go!
I'd like to hear the other side of the story.....if they would only return a call

I was just curious as to others who had ordered.....
Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I had no dealer problems but being an impatient person I called customer service at AS for an update, they were extremely helpful even supplying me with the build week of my trailer. Suggest you do that, they will email you the info you desire.
That dealer you purchased from needs a wake up call on how to treat a new customer, good luck & the agrevation will be worth it.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That just sounds like a typical sales honeymoon. Initially eager then you are suddenly the last sale and they're honeymooning the next person.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Ordered ours mid Aug., picked it up on Saturday. We were told it would take about 6-8 weeks, we were at about 10.

I called and called and called. The salesman even said when we were picking up something to the effect of " missing my daily phone calls". In truth, I had 3 questions throughout the course of our wait. He only called me back once, so I called everyday until I got an answer. I was never upset or short with anyone, I was persistent. I was slightly disappointed by this, but overall very happy with my experience.

It might just be the way dealerships handle it, but I would say not to let yourself be ignored. You have a right to know. I was told the week after I put my money down when it was scheduled to come off the line.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
N/A , Florida
Ours was a month delayed as they ran out of the dark brown ultra leather. Incredibly frustrating but two months later and we have completely forgotten about the delay. We're thrilled with our AS!
Adambomb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like they have really cut the build and delivery times down since the factory expansion. That is good news.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
* There is almost always two sides to every story. We usually only hear one side here.

Three sides to every story, as the truth is usually somewhere in between the two we hear....

My former father in law always said this, as well as many other folk wisdom sayings.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
who is the dealer, just wondering...
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
We had a very bad experience with the one in NJ and wouldn't buy a wingnut from them.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Stuart , Florida
Has anyone purchased their AS from Colonial in Lakewood, NJ. Wondering how your experience/service was with them. Thanks.
roadwarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
After the WV AS Rally, last June/July, we toured the AS factory, in Ohio. While there, I asked the tour guide how they schedule their AS manufacture. He was quite clear --- they do not make a full line of trailers at once. Rather, they gather all their orders for all types of their trailers, and upon some criterion that he didn't mention, they would then select one type & make a batch of them. When that run was done, they would select another type & make a batch of that type. One apparent consequence of this is that if you order trailer type x and it's the only one of that type then ordered on the factory's books, you are going to wait a long time until the factory accumulates more of those orders before your trailer is made. He also said that the 25 was the most popular trailer they make, so I would guess that on average, the wait for a 25 after it is ordered is likely the shortest. If the above is true, then it would seem as if an AS dealer has little ability to control the wait time for an ordered AS. I also asked the guide if they will make custom trailers --- customized as desired by a buyer, & he responded "No," that they had a very limited number of variations available within any particular type of AS, and those variations (eg, extra awnings, extra air conditioner, solar power, etc.) were the only variations they offered, period, no exceptions. Customization was available by after-market dealers, but not by the AS factory itself. At least, the foregoing was I got from this tour guide. Maybe other's experience is different.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Classic

Hi,

We ordered our 2017 Classic in late April and picked it up late June. It was delayed 3 weeks due to the new Alde hot water and heat system. Our dealer was very responsive with keeping us updated and pushing on AS to get it done. We were leaving on a 6 week trip July 1 and really wanted some time with our new classic before heading out. It was stressful that it was delayed but our dealer, Windish RV in Lakewood CO, was awesome about communicating with us.

We love our AS and it was worth the wait. Sorry your having issues and I would reach out to AS directly if you continue to be ignored by your dealer.
eawotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
We placed an order in July of 2015 for a new Classic. We were told that it would be about 6 months before delivery. We picked it up at the dealer on January 4th 2016.
While at the factory this past summer we took the tour and understood from the tour guide that it could still take 6 months for delivery. They were 1200 units behind. And we have had the same experience of phone calls not being returned, from two different dealers in our area.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I just ordered from Windish today. They told me December time frame. 2017 23D bunk.

I wanted to eliminate the sky port on the front and upgrade the wore gauge for solar prewire. I read in another forum that this could be done for $500-$700.

Before ordering I called 5 different dealers and they all called the factory and got the same answer. Too busy, we used to do that but not anymore, go to aftermarket for these mods. Also they will upgrade ties to 16 inch and put michelins on, but only on 25 and larger.

So it's seems that the tour guide was spot on, no customization unless it's an offers option.
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
Ordered ours from Tampa RVOne and it arrived two weeks earlier than expected, The downside was when we did the walk thru and noticed a scratch in the sink. Took forever for Tampa Rv to get the new sink from Airstreams supplier. They were very good about getting it in right away.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Colonial (just for example) has 2 27's and 4 28 ft Flying Clouds on their lot right now - unless you want something strange (that will be hard to sell), could be on the road by Saturday.

Check the bigger dealers - bet the top 10% sell more than the bottom 90% - and they have the most inventory.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #19
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarriors View Post
Has anyone purchased their AS from Colonial in Lakewood, NJ. Wondering how your experience/service was with them. Thanks.
We traveled from MT to buy from this dealer because of huge discount. Salesperson (Patrick) was great as was svc. dept. Sales manager, not so much, but we'd buy there again.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Stow , Massachusetts
So we totally understand the schedule change as this happens in so many industries.

It was just the lack of communication on other questions..... Then a miracle the two folks we have been working with contacted us to bring us up to speed. They were very helpful as when we started the process. Hmmm

Owning 3 businesses I understand that....communication is huge!