Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #1

Opinions, please!

Don't want to offend anyone here, but I was looking into the feasibility of producing replica Airstreams in the UK where I live.

You see, trailers, or 'caravans' as they are referred to in the UK, are considered deeply uncool by anyone under the age of 55. We know differently, of course, but they do seem to be associated with sandals & socks, west highland terriers, volvos etc.

So a lot of younger people are missing out on the experience, mainly because they couldn't be seen in a white fibreglass box on wheels. Something really cool could perhaps change their perceptions.

What are YOUR opinions on this? I know some of you will be mildly offended, same as I was when they built the new VW Beetle & sold thousands to middle-class wanabees who couldn't handle the involvement of a real classic.

However; in a small way, it could raise awareness of the real thing...

Anyways, please let me know what you think!

Andy
3narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #2

What an idiot I am...

I had no idea Airstreams were still in production.

OK- maybe I could produce something similar but more suitable for European roads...or modify the US models for use in Europe.

Any European owners here? What sort of problems do you have with your trailer?

Cheers, A
3narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
What are YOUR opinions on this?
I would worry about Airstreams opinion. You copy their design, refer to it as an Airstream replica, etc, and they will have a British plant. There have been several brands of aluminum trailers over the years and there is no reason there couldn't be another, but no reference to Airstream. Their parent company doubtless has lawyers wasting the day away just waiting for an opportunity to earn their pay.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
How about ...

importing the new 16' CCDs or Bambis. This is a trailer with panache! Light enough to be towed by many UK vehicles and only 8' wide. Probably no heavier than some of the larger caravans I have encountered there. I'll bet Airstream would build them to UK standards if there were a demand. They are built to Canadian standards now.

Another thought would be to import empty 16' Airstream shells and complete the trailers over there with the required surge brakes, and electrical equipment. There could be considerable weight savings in the interior furniture by using foam cores and lighter components.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote