Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
If you ever make it up here and can back into my space I WILL really make you a cedar planked King Salmon, wild of course.
Hey, wait a second, you mean YOU DIDN'T MEAN IT?!?!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I think it's hilarious that successfully backing the trailer makes me feel this pleased. I am so uncool.
Frankly backing scares the s#%t out of me! So I guess I am 'uncool' too!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
Frankly backing scares the s#%t out of me! So I guess I am 'uncool' too!
Yeah, these trailers don't quite get treated like rental cars, do they? Changes one's approach to driving ever afterwards I've heard others say.

I have to move this 32' Silver Streak "over" one space this morning. Shadiest spot in this park (and fully so from noon onwards!!). With any luck the obstacles won't keep me from walking the truck from both sides. It's a tight cut for 36' coupler-to-bumper, so you can bet I'll be in & out of the truck more than once. Lever that arm into R and go with the Wills beat . . it's all in the bass line. Oil booms don't last forever, but while they do . . . .

Which reminds me that I've also heard others say they imagine they are out-of-body and watching themselves from overhead, "seeing" the rig as it moves back, the "arc" already described. How tight some of these same guys can put semi- trailers in line on a frac job, fast, is impressive.

And carry-over from one boom to another:

Waylon Jennings - Bob Wills Is Still The King (live) - YouTube
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I find it really interesting, so I suppose I've now completed the first metamorphosis into a towing geek...
Just talking to Kirk and Andy T qualifies you as a towing geek, Zlee.

Lots of people offered me lots of advice for backing up but in the end, just watching the trailer move in response to steering wheel inputs was enough. It all became crystal clear when I realised that my key point of reference when backing up at home, the edge of the driveway, wasn't at a right angle to the garage - a lot of backing up confusion was solved in an instant!

My backing up Tour de Force was pushing Towed Haul backwards for about 50 yards at a campground near New Orleans, to get quick access to the dump station. I could have done a convoluted tour of the campground, pulling the trailer to access the dump station, but being a clever sausage, I just hitched up and went backwards. Sadly there was no audience to appreciate my audacity; they only appear when you make a Horlicks of it.....

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The European versions of the Airstreams would be really good for that since their jacks have wheels at the bottom and can be turned by one person. A wheel that would fit in the jack shaft would be great for this problem (if on grade, block wheels each time you move a few inches). Wheels are easy to find, but the male part for the jack shaft might have to be fabricated. It wouldn't be easy to move a 3 1/2 ton tandem axle trailer around, but the alternative is worse.
Back in the 60's Airstream used to supply a "nose wheel" for the jack stand, at least on the smaller trailers. We had one with our 1960 Pacer 16 ft.

The catch, as you point out, is that you can't manage a ton or two of trailer by hand on any kind of a slope. Also, as I learned shoving our Pacer around on our level driveway, there are two problems moving a trailer by hand. (1) getting it moving, and (2) stopping it. The latter is more exciting. (I always managed to get it stopped before hitting anything.)

A good thing to have in a situation such as you describe would be a trailer walker, something they used to make. I have attached pictures of one that I saw at the 2005 Homecoming Rally at JC. To move the trailer you put a length of pipe in the hole and lift the one pad, pivoting around the other pad. My late brother in law used one to turn around their Kenskill trailer on a narrow mountain road back in the 60's. Not fun at all, but it worked, and made one of those great "adventure" stories down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_walker_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	155125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_walker_2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	155126  

Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Which reminds me that I've also heard others say they imagine they are out-of-body and watching themselves from overhead, "seeing" the rig as it moves back, the "arc" already described. How tight some of these same guys can put semi- trailers in line on a frac job, fast, is impressive.
That is the ultimate skill to have. I can see roads when I am driving that way—like looking down at a map—but can't do it backing. I'll have to work on that.

Nuvi, the trailer walker sounds like a great idea. When do we go into production? Bear urine being the other business. I was thinking adapting the wheels used on rural gates to the jack, but I doubt they would take the weight. The European models weight a lot less. And yes, they should have a brake. I wonder what Airstream uses on the European jacks—they are manual, so I guess the wheel is permanently attached.

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Salmon and unusual backing skills.

Zlee, Yes the Salmon is yours. The mattress advice was worth much more than that. Like you said the topper was expensive but the 5lb material is incredible.
And I also have to come clean about my backing up skills. When I was in elementary school I was diagnosed with a very mild case of dyslexia. With some intervention it has caused me no problems. However I think that little backwards rewire in my brain gives me a unique perspective. When I was about 10 or 11 years old with very little direction I could slide those boats into the slips without hitting the dock. Things were pretty loose back then on the boat. After 8 or 9 days out these older guys would all be half in the bag and they let me have the wheel for fun. I'm still very careful with the AS though.Well anyway there now you guys know my somewhat useful secret.
Dyslexics of the world Untie.

Dan
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So there is an advantage in being Lysdectic? I wonder if being left handed helps?

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You heard about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac?

He kept waking up in the night wondering if there was a dog.

:rimshot:
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Thumbs down I must be crazy

I knew where this was gonna go. and Gene yes only when your right hand gets tired.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I knew where this was gonna go. and Gene yes only when your right hand gets tired.
Never occurred to me what you are apparently "thinking", but, yes, it helps to be ambidextrous as well.

How did we back into this?

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I keep telling you, every thread seems to degenerate into That Thread these days...hmm...wait...it's always when YOU're on the thread, Gene...Coincidence...? I THINK NOT!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Just talking to Kirk and Andy T qualifies you as a towing geek, Zlee.
If only it made me better at backing. I remember going out with Kirk and making a complete hash of the backing thing, and then going back to CanAm's yard and watching forlornly from the Bambi while Kirk quickly moved trailers around the lot with inches to spare on all sides to make up for the time we'd been out...

Quote:
Like you said the topper was expensive but the 5lb material is incredible.
Yay! Glad it's working for you!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well, it took ten minutes to make it into position moving this 32' from one space to the adjacent. Nothing like the day I came in originally when I could move all over empty spaces. (That was kinda ugly, but it worked well enough).

And we avoided the telephone poles across the road, the neighbors truck that stuck out into the road, and we did nose right up to the other across-the-street neighbors fifth wheel hitch . . and luckily the old retired guy next door (Rocky Flats engineer) came over to hep me get past the 3" clearance on the water spigot on one side, and the 9" on the shed on the other. All at an angle. And no backing due to those (blessed) hackberries in back to straighten it out, and impossible to do going forwards for any straightening. Crabbed it like a mutha. Back & fill. [Chorus] ". . bottle baby boogie, Ain't gonna do it no more . . . . "

I am much the longest trailer here on Millionaires Row.

But if I'da whacked this TT on something it wouldn't have hurt anything but pride. There's old. And there's ugly and old (which this trayla is. Not, though, the ugliest. But almost. For what this will sell for -- the next owner will have a great deal if he does some work I refuse to. Bring your trailers down here to sell 'em ya'll. . they don't last long what with the boom on).

What mattered is that I have s-h-a-d-e.

Off to Homers' Depot for another 1x10 to jack up the port side. I cut up the pressure-treat from the recent A/C install in six foot lengths to fit under the tires but am heeling over too far.

And, . . tomorrow move the old guys trayla to get some wood under his tires since yanking the H/A hitch head off left me tired. Couldn't afford that extra foot-and-a-half today.

But . . . I'm in the shade.

A/C was off two hours. And now it's down to 68F and 48H . . "Bob Wills is still the King . . . ."

From one of the legendary Tiffany Transcriptions (ca. 1948) to match to the turbocharger whine running up through the gears on the way outta here . . (earned this fuel penalty acceleration run today, ha!). Start winding it at :46 and you're into the transmission high side at 1:23. (V1 and V2 for you, Bob Cross. Heavy, hot and high altitude).

Bob Wills Deep In The Heart Of Texas - YouTube

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote