Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I will be there also at at some point. It would be great to meet you and see your new rig. I think you should be OK with the 28, at least as far as finding NFGC spots where you will fit.
Let me know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure I'll love to be showing off the rig.

I think the 28 ft will be great particularly on longer ventures. The 23 ft has that corner bed which means that someone will either have to crawl over or be crawled over in the middle of the night.

My only real concern on the length is just the number of CGs that say max length is 25 feet. It seems like several of the places that I want to visit can only handle shorter trailers. Maybe that might be my excuse to buy a 19 ft vintage unit.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You're gonna LOVE that 28' trailer!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Let me know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure I'll love to be showing off the rig.

I think the 28 ft will be great particularly on longer ventures. The 23 ft has that corner bed which means that someone will either have to crawl over or be crawled over in the middle of the night.

My only real concern on the length is just the number of CGs that say max length is 25 feet. It seems like several of the places that I want to visit can only handle shorter trailers. Maybe that might be my excuse to buy a 19 ft vintage unit.
Don't get buyer's remorse - if you'd bought the 23' it wouldn't be six months before you'd start talking about a 28'... and less than 2 years before you pulled the trigger and bought one. The 27/28's are the perfect size, AND IMHO you did exactly right by eliminating the carpet and the slide thing in the storage compartment. Simple hint: Your AWNING tool can help you grab anything that ends up in the "waybackthar" part of your storage bin. In really cold weather you may notice some chill from under the bed - then simply stuff an area rug or bathmat behind the door for a little extra insulation, but don't forget to take it out when it warms up.

Those funny dusting slippers actually aren't that bad of an idea - cleaning around the throne, and in the corners by the bed.... those areas are too narrow for a conventional broom. I actually don't use a swiffer because there is no good place to store any long handled tools in my 25 FB. I simply throw a damp microfiber cloth on the floor and use my foot as the handle. For minor maintenance, ordinary dishwater with Dawn detergent. For a major cleanup.... uh... same thing, just spend more time doing the whole floor instead of a spot here and there. I use one dampened with plain water to rinse and keep detergent from building up on the floor.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Don't get buyer's remorse - if you'd bought the 23' it wouldn't be six months before you'd start talking about a 28'... and less than 2 years before you pulled the trigger and bought one. The 27/28's are the perfect size, AND IMHO you did exactly right by eliminating the carpet and the slide thing in the storage compartment. Happy Trails, Paula
Thanks Paula - deep down in I know it's the right size. I really love the layout of the 28 footer and the luxury of a real bed in a real bedroom. Maybe it's towing anexity more than buyers remorse.

Yup - I really do like the idea of no carpet anywhere in the trailer too. We don't have any in the house and I love it. Sure, it might be nice to step on in the morning but the thought of the mites, molds, bacteria and other little critters that live in it are a real turn off. (Sorry if I gross anyone out but that's life!)

Good idea about the "foot swiffer" too.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
My only real concern on the length is just the number of CGs that say max length is 25 feet.
Yeah, but Airstream measures from tongue to bumper which adds about three feet to the "trailer"...most other manufacturers don't count the tongue and bumper. Just tell 'em it's a 25-footer. I've never seen anybody come out & measure...if they do, they would most likely only measure the body.

Quote:
Maybe that might be my excuse to buy a 19 ft vintage unit.
Great alternative...you may get bitten by the vintage bug ~ careful, it's contagious!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #45
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Way to go

We got lucky IMHO and picked up a 2005 in early 2007. We love the thing and you will too. That trunk is important. I dont know about the others but I tend to put funky things in there, things that have to with Black Water, Nuts, Bolts, Funky things. Hence it has become the funky trunk.

One thing I have learned about streaming is to waste nothing, especially space. Ours does not have a slide out and just as well.

Congrats and welcome to the world of AS. Good thing about new is: Any problems you may encounter, the dealer should fix. When you buy used, you have to absorb some wear and tear.

When you buy Vintage, you own it all Baby...

Congrats...it sounds great.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
When you buy Vintage, you own it all Baby...
You could say we know them intimately! Every nook & cranny...

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Yeah, but Airstream measures from tongue to bumper which adds about three feet to the "trailer"...most other manufacturers don't count the tongue and bumper. Just tell 'em it's a 25-footer. I've never seen anybody come out & measure...if they do, they would most likely only measure the body.

Great alternative...you may get bitten by the vintage bug ~ careful, it's contagious!

Shari
OK Shari - I'll admit it - I don't even have my 1st 'stream yet and I'm already checking out the ads for vintage units.

What is it about old Airstreams that attracts designers? (I'm also an architect.) There is a part of me that would love to restore one.

I've been on both of your web sites. Your trailers are fabulous!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
OK Shari - I'll admit it - I don't even have my 1st 'stream yet and I'm already checking out the ads for vintage units.
TeeHeeHee...it won't be long before you have two! One for immediate travel gratification & one for tinkering!

Quote:
What is it about old Airstreams that attracts designers? (I'm also an architect.) There is a part of me that would love to restore one.
Good design is appreciated by architects & designers and we like to "create"and personalize, thus the vintage attraction. I wouldn't want to buy a new one then rip it all apart to customize it - and Lord knows I couldn't "leave it be" as it came off the line! If I were to buy a new one, it would be the Safari FB SE 27 w/Midnight Sun...love it!

Quote:
I've been on both of your web sites. Your trailers are fabulous!
Aw shucks...thanks!

Heck, we're practically neighbors...someday maybe we'll have the opportunity to hang out around a campfire ~

Shari

Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #49
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
never put your toots on a cold or dirty floor again!

get with the products that multi-task...

cold feet, smooth floors, swiffer cleaning?

now ALL three are covered with ONE handy dandy product or perhaps that should be feetie sweetie...

da' slipper genie...

saw these in a shop last week and laughed for 30 minutes...

they didn't have extra large in pink or lime green...

cheers
2air'
My in-laws gave us two pair of these for Christmas, with a note that the couple that cleans together, stays together. I don't know how I'm gonna top that this year...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #50
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Yup - I really do like the idea of no carpet anywhere in the trailer too. We don't have any in the house and I love it. Sure, it might be nice to step on in the morning but the thought of the mites, molds, bacteria and other little critters that live in it are a real turn off. (Sorry if I gross anyone out but that's life!)
Why not get a carpet-type bath mat or small throw rug. Put it where you step out of bed, and when you think it's getting grungy, toss it and get another, clean one.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Good design is appreciated by architects & designers and we like to "create"and personalize, thus the vintage attraction. I wouldn't want to buy a new one then rip it all apart to customize it - and Lord knows I couldn't "leave it be" as it came off the line! If I were to buy a new one, it would be the Safari FB SE 27 w/Midnight Sun...love it!
That's what I'm trying to figure out for our trailer. I want to personalize it without changing the intregrity of the original design. We're also doing Midnight Sun but on the 28 ft SE.

Quote:

Aw shucks...thanks!

Heck, we're practically neighbors...someday maybe we'll have the opportunity to hang out around a campfire ~

Shari
I'm sure that we will. We plan to be active in the WBCCI and besides, I want to meet Maxwell & Birdie! (and you and Rob too!)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Why not get a carpet-type bath mat or small throw rug. Put it where you step out of bed, and when you think it's getting grungy, toss it and get another, clean one.
That's the best way to do it. Threr are a lot of nice small throw rugs out there.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Now comes one of the hardest decisions... what kind if hitch?? I'm at a toss up between the Hensley Arrow and the Reese Dual Cam. What to do, what to do????

I plan on spending a good bit of time over the next few days in the hitch threads - particularly 2airs haha users guide - and anything I can dig up on the Reese. I may also wait until after I do my taxes to make my descion!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
While checking out hitches you might also want to look at the Equal-I-Zer and the new Pro-Pride hitch.

I have an Equal-I-Zer and am very happy with it. I think it might be a bit simpler to use vs the Reese.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
While checking out hitches you might also want to look at the Equal-I-Zer and the new Pro-Pride hitch.

I have an Equal-I-Zer and am very happy with it. I think it might be a bit simpler to use vs the Reese.
Thanks Dennis- I appreciate the info - I'll have to check out the Pro-Pride and see what it's all about.

Other than that, all others except for the Henslay and Reese Dual Cam have been eliminated. It's down to those two.

I'll probably get into some of the discussions at the hitch forum too.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
well look at it this way... if you sleep now you will be rested up to play later... Your timming will be perfect for the coming of spring!
Happy trails!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream
well look at it this way... if you sleep now you will be rested up to play later... Your timming will be perfect for the coming of spring!
Happy trails!
Thanks! - Yup, the timing is perfect. We're planning some nice trips this summer.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Congrats on the new 28' Safari SE Airstream~!
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #59
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
We're planning some nice trips this summer.
To where?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
To where?
Our first trip will be to City of Rocks and Caballo Lake State Parks in southern New Mexico.

Then we're heading up to Utah for a few days at Dead Horse State Park.

In between we'll head up to the Jemez Mts and Jemez Falls GC (US Forest Svc) for a day or two.

It's gonna be fun! There's so many cool places to camp in the Southwest!