Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
Wow! Nice choice for the stream. May you have many years of fun and meet many new friends. We are very happy for you..

Marie
Many thanks!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
One place I think is nice to have carpet, is in the bedroom area. There's nothing qite so "refreshing" as sliding out from under warm sheets, and placing your tootsies on (very) cold vinyl. The good news is you will be awake for you trip to the little Airstreamer's room. The bad news is you will be awake for a while after getting back into bed--unless you warm your feet on the other person in the bed. If you use this option, make sure you have all hand-operated weapons out of easy range...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
--unless you warm your feet on the other person in the bed. If you use this option, make sure you have all hand-operated weapons out of easy range...
LOL - actually, we have 2 cats that love to sleep under the covers at the foot of the bed - instant foot warmers!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...placing your tootsies on (very) cold vinyl...
never put your toots on a cold or dirty floor again!

get with the products that multi-task...

cold feet, smooth floors, swiffer cleaning?

now ALL three are covered with ONE handy dandy product or perhaps that should be feetie sweetie...

da' slipper genie...

saw these in a shop last week and laughed for 30 minutes...

they didn't have extra large in pink or lime green...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Congrats on the new stream...........We bought ours early Nov last year. It was a quick ride down from VT where we purchased, then one night in a Walmart parking lot..winterize then to storage. Then wait all this winter. I think we'd been better of mentally not to have "tasted" victory, only to have it snapped away for 6 months.......your idea of a spring purchase I think was a better route.....even though its painfull for you now....it will get better soon.
Take a couple trips to camping world, hang out here....go to a book store for a fix on travel mags and books ect....youl'll be ok!

Jim
Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
now ALL three are covered with ONE handy dandy product or perhaps that should be feetie sweetie...

da' slipper genie...

cheers
2air'
I can hear Leo Sayer singing it now... You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
ISo... I signed the purchase order and gave the dealer a deposit and as of this afternoon our new 28 ft Safari SE is FINALLY & OFFICIALLY ON ORDER!!!!

Now the wait is REALLY gonna be killin' me!!! The next 4 to 6 weeks are going to be painful! Will I get any sleep tonight?? Probably not!
Congratulations! Now, I know NM is a long way from Jackson Center, but you really ought to find out when your trailer is scheduled for build and come for the factory tour. You will be treated like royalty. They will find your trailer on the line and you can gather around your trailer with the workers for group pictures. The people that build Airstreams are like a family. They're proud of their product, and they love their customers.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
Congratulations! Now, I know NM is a long way from Jackson Center, but you really ought to find out when your trailer is scheduled for build and come for the factory tour. You will be treated like royalty. They will find your trailer on the line and you can gather around your trailer with the workers for group pictures. The people that build Airstreams are like a family. They're proud of their product, and they love their customers.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Thanks - I would LOVE to be able to do that. I'll have to see how the budget is when the time comes. We have to make two other family trips back east in June and July
Old 04-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
So... I just got word that that the factory tentatively expects the trailer to ship out on May 7th. We should take delivery sometime during the following week.

2air - everything is all set - no carpet and no roll out in the trunk. I even bought a swiffer at the grocery store yesterday.

J
Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2
Congrats on the new stream...........We bought ours early Nov last year. It was a quick ride down from VT where we purchased, then one night in a Walmart parking lot..winterize then to storage. Then wait all this winter. I think we'd been better of mentally not to have "tasted" victory, only to have it snapped away for 6 months.......your idea of a spring purchase I think was a better route.....even though its painfull for you now....it will get better soon.
Take a couple trips to camping world, hang out here....go to a book store for a fix on travel mags and books ect....youl'll be ok!

Jim
Thanks for the good words Jim. Gee, one night then into storage. That's too bad. You must be planning some good trips now though.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
It will be about 4 weeks now until we take delivery. We're getting everything ready for moving in - kitchen stuff, toys & games, tools etc.

Buyers remorse has set in - I'm beginnig to say to myself... "Gee, is this thing going to be too big? We really could get by with a 23 ft Safari."

We also have reservations for our first trips -
June - a week at City of Rocks State Park & Caballo Lake SP in New Mexico
July - a week at Dead Horse Point SP in Utah
August - a few days at Jemez Falls NM (US Forest Svc)
September, October, November, December etc TBD

Like Lynn (EubanK) has said in a couple of posts - when you live in the Southwest you never have to leave the area for fantastic camping.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #40
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
August - a few days at Jemez Falls NM (US Forest Svc)
I will be there also at at some point. It would be great to meet you and see your new rig. I think you should be OK with the 28, at least as far as finding NFGC spots where you will fit.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I will be there also at at some point. It would be great to meet you and see your new rig. I think you should be OK with the 28, at least as far as finding NFGC spots where you will fit.
Let me know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure I'll love to be showing off the rig.

I think the 28 ft will be great particularly on longer ventures. The 23 ft has that corner bed which means that someone will either have to crawl over or be crawled over in the middle of the night.

My only real concern on the length is just the number of CGs that say max length is 25 feet. It seems like several of the places that I want to visit can only handle shorter trailers. Maybe that might be my excuse to buy a 19 ft vintage unit.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You're gonna LOVE that 28' trailer!!!!!

Quote:
Let me know when you'll be in the area. I'm sure I'll love to be showing off the rig.

I think the 28 ft will be great particularly on longer ventures. The 23 ft has that corner bed which means that someone will either have to crawl over or be crawled over in the middle of the night.

My only real concern on the length is just the number of CGs that say max length is 25 feet. It seems like several of the places that I want to visit can only handle shorter trailers. Maybe that might be my excuse to buy a 19 ft vintage unit.
Don't get buyer's remorse - if you'd bought the 23' it wouldn't be six months before you'd start talking about a 28'... and less than 2 years before you pulled the trigger and bought one. The 27/28's are the perfect size, AND IMHO you did exactly right by eliminating the carpet and the slide thing in the storage compartment. Simple hint: Your AWNING tool can help you grab anything that ends up in the "waybackthar" part of your storage bin. In really cold weather you may notice some chill from under the bed - then simply stuff an area rug or bathmat behind the door for a little extra insulation, but don't forget to take it out when it warms up.

Those funny dusting slippers actually aren't that bad of an idea - cleaning around the throne, and in the corners by the bed.... those areas are too narrow for a conventional broom. I actually don't use a swiffer because there is no good place to store any long handled tools in my 25 FB. I simply throw a damp microfiber cloth on the floor and use my foot as the handle. For minor maintenance, ordinary dishwater with Dawn detergent. For a major cleanup.... uh... same thing, just spend more time doing the whole floor instead of a spot here and there. I use one dampened with plain water to rinse and keep detergent from building up on the floor.

Happy Trails, Paula