Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Good For You

Jim

Great news. I am so happy for you. I love your accessory package. What's a "slideout storage compartment?" Is there a picture somewhere of that?

BTW--my Featherweight arrived Friday. I adore it.

Caryl

Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl
Jim

Great news. I am so happy for you. I love your accessory package. What's a "slideout storage compartment?" Is there a picture somewhere of that?

BTW--my Featherweight arrived Friday. I adore it.

Caryl
Caryl
The slide out is a sliding tray that's in the "trunk" It pulls out for easier access to things in storage - however - I think we're going to change the order and not get it. I guess it eats up a lot of storage space.

Glad you like your F/W. They really are a cute little machine and perfect for an Airstream.
Jim

Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
_

. , .
the attached photo from a dealer site....

is the under bed 'garage' in a classic, which is basically the same in a safari rear queen.

now IMAGINE a set of 3 inch high roller bearing runners mounted and a tray on top of them...

it's not that it takes up lots of space, but storage space is tight in these things anyway.

the issue is it make the space MORE shallow and the corner nooks harder to use, i'd estimate 20-25% is lost to the slide/tray.

i use some rubbermaid tubs back there that JUST clear the door.

once inside they drop 2-3 inches so a folding table slides in on top of them...

with the tray i could not use these tubs (it blocks the door a little) and would loose the drop down space too.

also note the CARPET extends into and UNDER the storage so any dirty WET stuff is placed on carpet, which can wick into the room...

i hope you specified NO CARPET anywhere, or you'll deal with this issue too..

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear garage spaqe.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	57176  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Hooray

Congrats, now it's official

NOTHIN LIKE STREAM-DREAMS

sorry guy's I like my slide, teho

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the attached photo from a dealer site....

is the under bed 'garage' in a classic, which is basically the same in a safari rear queen.

the issue is it make the space MORE shallow and the corner nooks harder to use, i'd estimate 20-25% is lost to the slide/tray.

also note the CARPET extends into and UNDER the storage so any dirty WET stuff is placed on carpet, which can wick into the room...

i hope you specified NO CARPET anywhere, or you'll deal with this issue too..

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air - this really helps. Is the sliding drawer separate from the trunk? It looks like it is in the picture. If it is then it's not too bad. It can be a nice spot for hoses and keep them seperate from other stuff. I think I'm more concerned now about carpet and wicking.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Thanks 2air - this really helps. Is the sliding drawer separate from the trunk? It looks like it is in the picture...
no, that lower sliding 'wet drawer' is on the classics only.

ignore the lower drawer.

the safari queen has the rectangular upper door area, and the rollers/slide tray are INSIDE that upper section.

that's why the slide reduces/shortens that space by several inches.

Quote:
...I think I'm more concerned now about carpet and wicking.
yep, carpet in the storage areas is dumb.

IF you are getting a unit with carpet in the bedroom area that's a negative imo.

the way a/s are assembled is such that whatever flooring you order is put in first, then the entire interior goes on top of it.

the under bed garage/exterior storage flooring in my is vinyl, only because i paid EXTRA to NOT have any bedroom carpet...

throw/area rugs are easier to use/clean and replace.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
no, that lower sliding 'wet drawer' is on the classics only. ignore the lower drawer.
Darn!

Quote:
yep, carpet in the storage areas is dumb.

IF you are getting a unit with carpet in the bedroom area that's a negative imo.

the under bed garage/exterior storage flooring in my is vinyl, only because i paid EXTRA to NOT have any bedroom carpet...

cheers
2air'
We left the carpet in because I thought it was stupid to have to pay them to leave it out! I have a different opinion of that now.

The extra that I would be paying for the drawer is now going to be applied towards having vinyl flooring throughout! I'm going to let the dealer know tomorrow morning that I don't want the slide out nor the carpeting.

Thanks again - I sure do appreciate your information!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Done deal!

I just got off the phone with my AS dealer. We've cancelled the pull out option and the credit that we get from that is going to go towards pulling out the carpet and having vinyl flooring throughout. Throw rugs are cheap.

Thanks 2air and Airhog1 - I really appreciate your input and advice!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
I found a solution to the carpet wicking spills and water under the bed. I bought a two yard length of heavy clear, but flexible plastic at a local chain fabric store. It comes on rollers , so there are no folds, and is often sold for table covering and comes in many thicknesses. When placed in the storage area, it is wide enough that it folds up the side walls and snugs right into the corners. It was inexpensive at 2.50 a yard, so I doubled it for insurance. I had a plan for tacking it in place, but found I didn't need to, and the slick surface makes it easeir to slide things into the back corners. When it warms up, I am planning on getting more to put in the underbed storage area, as I can see that will be where I store water, etc. We bought our unit at the end of the year last year, off a lot, so the carpet was already in place. I am looking forward to putting my feet onto some plush carpet when I get up in the morning!
Kat
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my AS dealer....
good job!

carpeting is a personal preference issue, warm feet are nice.

but imo carpet is a LOT of trouble in a travel/camping trailer.

it absorbs odors, and dirt like it's magnetic.

the the carpet a/s uses is, well UGLY and cheap.

IF you have carpet using a vacuum becomes mandatory, while solid surface flooring can be mopped, swept or 'swiffered'...

IF you have carpet, putting the plastic liners INSIDE all carpeted outdoor storage areas is a great idea,

BUT be careful, because moisture can STILL collect under the water proof layer and cause issues.

all rvs eventually have WATER inside, from rain or plumbing leaks or sink/toilet overflows or water pump failures, tank/vent tube leaks...

i've had ALL of these and so will almost every other camper eventually.

with carpet, drying out after these issues is a MUCH bigger problem as is dealing with the remaining ODORS...

it is DUMB that sheet vinyl costs EXTRA, carpet should be the OPTIONAL flooring choice 4 those that really want it in a 'stream.

i think they STILL USE CARPET because it goes in QUICKLY and HIDES SLOPPY fit/finish issues.

area rugs can be rolled up, removed, cleaned better, taken out for storage and colors/textures easily changed on a whim.

i was using latex/rubber backed area rugs, the 'non slip' versions, and still use a couple...

but have returned to using WOOL area rugs and jute/sissal? they don't hold odors, are more durable and generally better overall.

cheers
2air'

Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
good job!

carpeting is a personal preference issue, warm feet are nice.

cheers
2air'
...but feet can be warmed nicely by area rugs.

You were preching to the choir in your last post. In a nutshell, I hate carpet. The only reason I left it in the order is because I was too cheap to pay AS $500+ to omit it and put in vinyl. Well, I now think it was worth the extra few bucks to pull it out!

Carpet is all that you said - hit holds dirt & odors - not to mention bacteria and molds. Nasty stuff!

Swiffing rules!

We built a new house 2 years ago and all of or floors are either hardwood, ceramic or stained concrete. Minimal use of area rugs!

thanks again 2air - your 2 cents is worth a helluva lot more!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
New builds

I heard a rumor that the factory is running 60 days behind

Garry
Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Wow! Nice choice for the stream. May you have many years of fun and meet many new friends. We are very happy for you..

Marie
Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I heard a rumor that the factory is running 60 days behind

Garry
You're evil !!!!