Old 06-30-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

OK, Do they make?

We have now come to a mutual agreement after the meeting of the minds. We finally know what we want for a floorplan for our "ideal" A/S.

We plan on towing with a conversion van, and have pretty much figured we'd like a unit from the 70's. If need be, I guess we could always change the tow vehicle, so weight isn't really that important for the moment.

Do they make:

24-26' 70's A/S with rear BR(2 twins or island queen), center bath (don't mind if lav and throne on one side with shower on the other), and a sofa bed across the front with a pull out table.

Am I looking for something they make, will I have to rip out the interior and heavily modify, or should I forget it and change my search criteria? I would imagine I could go bigger and have what I want, but hope to keep it kinda smallish. Not sure if I want to tow something really big. I'm hoping to fulltime for 3 months in the winters.

Does any one know if I've got a shot finding what we want?

sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Stan and Lou

Airstream did not make a rear bed room in the size trailer you are wanting in the 70's. They did make that configuration in the larger trailers.

The early 80's do have the configuration you are looking for. And the early 80's trailers weigh about the same as the 70's trailers

Ken J.

Old 06-30-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The overlanders are close. Rear bath, twins then Galley with front Goucho.
www.vintageairstream.com has pictures up to about 78.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

A look at the trailer weights on www.airstream.com suggests that '85 was in fact the first year for a 25' side bath. I have one myself, and had always understood this to be the case.

There are some 27' Internationals listed with center bath for 1975 and 1976. And several years show a 29' center bath.

One thing I would want to know about the 70's units is the size of the grey and black tanks. They were pretty small for some of those years to use with family.

Mark
Old 06-30-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

well....OK!

j54mark, How do you like your unit? Any major changes that you would make? When we go fulltiming, there will be the two of us, plus a Japanese Chin(small dog), and maybe a couple of cats. We have 4 Himalayans now, but can let the kids watch them for a couple months. I'm thinking I want a van to tow to give us a bit of extra room. Now, since we were figuring on a bit of dry camping, I guess the grey and black tank size may be an issue. Realistically, I think the black tank becomes an issue. There are ways of dealing with the grey tank easy enough. You bring up a very good point, though. One I will have to give a lot of consideration to if we will do some dry camping.

59toaster,
I'm trying to stay away from the rear bath. I'm not the neatest of people, not wanting to make the bed each and every day. That is my reason for wanting a rear bedroom. Guests can use the facilities, but not see my mess? What can I say, I'm a slob.

Ken Johansen,
Maybe the 80's is what I'll have to look for. I was hoping for older, but....... What model would have the rear bedroom?

I'm just trying to figure out what model and year will have what I'm looking for. I guess its a good thing I don't need the A/S for this winter, huh? Time is still on my side..........
Old 06-30-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Look at the 85,86,87 25 foot Soverign or 88,89,90 and on Excella 25 ft. Most of them will be center bath, with either rear twins or a corner double. Most of them have a dry weight of 5100 lbs, and max weight of 6800 lbs. Besides you will get the wrap around front windows for more light in the front lounge than you will on a 70's vintage without vista views.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Brett,

I do like the wrap arounds. We keep getting newer and newer with each post. Hmmmmm.....It's getting to the point where we may be narrowing in on a model now. Time for another consultation with the boss (read -wifeypoo).

I'm assuming that the holding tanks will keep us for an extended weekend?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:03 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Anything in the 80's would have a set of sizeable tanks to hold you through a weekend. Navy showers would still be the norm, but you should not require a blue belly. I do not have the details at hand to give for tank sizes. Anyone with a center bath model of that vintage should have the same size tanks.

The black tank is the real issue. My wife and I could go a whole week without needing to dump it when we fulltimed and that was in a 77 center bath. No special trips to stretch out the capacity either Gray was an entirely different issue. 3 or 4 days MAX.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

You are so right about the black tank. I'm not worried about the grey, a bucket and a trip to the bathroom will take care of that. I've done that with my old SOB.

We will also be carrying a porta potty, so I'm not all that worried. If we dry camp, It'll be a week at most. I'll probably be more worried about animal waste disposal that us.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Something to think about is that it is more difficult to find an 80's 25 footer than it is to find a 70's 25 footer. From what I can tell (take not of number of 70's pictures vs 80's pictures on this site) they did not sell near as many trailers in the 80's as they did in the 70's.

They are out there, just wanted to warn you that it might take more time to find what you want. You just need to find one.

Ken J.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Ken,

Right now, time is on my side. I can't fulltime untill my wife retires. I have my 64 vintage popup that I enjoy very much for my weekend trips. I'm beginning my search now so that if I need to do major renovations, I'll be ready in 5 or 6 years.

Don't get me wrong though. If I were to find the perfect unit, I'd buy in a heartbeat. I envy you all who have what you want. Someday....Someday....
Old 06-30-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Wow,

What, a 64 model pop-up? Now that has got to be one rare item. Most pop-ups are ready for the trash in 10 or 15 years!

As far as I can tell my 1974 tattered owners manual shows the center bath and rear bedroom available only on the 29' and 31' models. Black water capacity on the International rear baths and center baths are 20 gallons and 17 gallons, respectively. Grey water on the International rear baths and center baths are 10 gallons and 17 gallons, respectively. The regular Landyachts are even smaller. Now that I am typing this it is no wonder why my tanks fills up so fast! Ridiculously small!!

I still love it nonetheless, IMHO the 70's era A/S's are cleaner looking, a good compromise between the somewhat spartan earlier vintage models and the sometimes over-the-top later models.

Chas
Old 06-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

"j54mark, How do you like your unit? Any major changes that you would make?"

We love it - now. We have made many, many changes. Some of the more visible can be seen by clicking on the "photos" button below this post. All but the bathroom tambor is gone, sinks are changed, stove is gone, (two burner cooktop and microwave in its place), new cabinets all around, new Pergo-type floor, etc., etc.

We are just back from our first week long trip, and never once felt confined, cramped, or wished we were back home. Very, very comfortable.

"Something to think about is that it is more difficult to find an 80's 25 footer than it is to find a 70's 25 footer."

Boy, is that the truth! I drove 1500 miles to buy mine. The ones I see for sale these days carry such a high price tag that I have had to up my insurance coverage by rather a lot. I have no idea if people are getting these prices, of course.

"You are so right about the black tank. I'm not worried about the grey"

We would require at least a week to fill our black tank, and we use a lot of extra water in flushing - otherwise the tank is just too low to get a good scour when dumping. The grey tank seems to absorb water, however. It is good for about three days and four showers - maybe five. We conserve water, but are not fanatical about it. And as I like to cook we wash up at least twice every day. I believe the black tank to be 30 gal. and the grey to be 35.

We have the (apparently) rare corner "double" (see my photos for floorplan). It lacks several inches being the width of a standard full bed, so would be far narrower than a queen. It does give a second, even larger closet, and a dresser/credenza which we find most useful. In fact, for the two of us the closet/drawer space is extravegant. The bed is fine for us, but your sleeping habits may vary. I thought about taking it all out to make a full size island bed, but could not make myself give up the closet and credenza. Also, we would have lost one of the outside storage compartments.

Mark
Old 07-01-2003, 06:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Really nice

I had been in your picture area before. I remember seeing your "headache relief" prior to now. Some of the changes you have made are on my list, such as the Pergo flooring. Having had a few SOB's, I'd prefer to have carpet only in the BR. My wife liked the designer look of using the fabric from the couch as accents. I will probably eliminate the range and do with a cook top as I enjoy using a DO outside on the coals.

I've got plenty of time yet as I won't be able to travel much for another 5 or 6 years until we are both retired. That's a good thing because I don't have to rush into the A/S I see. Another thing, I'm not exclusively limiting myself to an A/S. I just may find an Argosy or Avion that will strike my fancy. At the moment, we are still pretty much open minded about what we will get. Nice part is, we can keep changing our minds until we put our money down.

Thanks for you input.