Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Oh the Horror and surprise!!!!

We got back last week from our yearly vacation to Missouri for a much needed week of canoeing and our campground was awfull. I have read these story's of disappointing campgrounds that we have located on the internet only to get there and it's a Horror. This is the first for us and I hope and pray it never happens again. First of all it stated shaded spots, modern restrooms and showers, resturant, putt-putt golf etc.
When I checked in I noticed the store/office looked a little rustic not to mention the flowers growing in real mens work boots but I really worried when the lady told me since you are going to be here so long we are going to give you the tree (thanks so much)
Our site was in the middle of a pasture not to mention all the old veichles with grass growing in them.
I just spent around 80 hours polishing the Airstream and we were parked next to a dirt road that was heavily traveled the whole week.
I think there should be a section added for these kind of campgrounds so nobody else will make a mistake like we did.
We would have left but they do not refund only credit is given and could be used in the next 2 years (sure don't want to go back there)
The good thing the canoe trip was great, the Ozarks are beautifull, and the pool was okay (Thanks Goodness)
The campground is Jason Place in Salem Mo. be sure not to check it out.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Holy Cow

Neighbors told us some nut was camped out in our pasture and playing golf while we were gone...
Don't be messin' with my junk cars!
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ernest P. Worrell was known to say "Eww-w-www" on occasion. Too bad about your experience. My Woodall's guide is with my Safari in storage this weekend -- does anybody know if this Jason Place even has a mention in the Woodall's or Trailer Life guides.

Sorry Becky. On to the better news, where were you canoing? What did you like most? Thanks!

Good one klattu.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Becky,
Sorry the trip was almost ruined by false advertising, etc. Glad the canoeing was good, however.
Please go to the campgrounds review section on the forum and document this for all of us. Thanks.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I'd visit this site for campground reviews.
campgroundreviews.com :: Home
Very current info, but no listing for Jason's O K corral
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We'll add this place to our "crumby campground" list. Thanx
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
So, Becky, the campground was awful, but please tell us about the river and the canoeing. I grew up on the Current, my dad always renting cabins for us at Big Springs SP where we played in the water all day while he went off on a John boat fishing. I remember Hot summer days all iced by the clear rushing river. Any highlights from this first of the "wild and scenic" rivers? One thing, many of us from Missouri wait for the spring and fall or even winter times to float these rivers to avoid the city throngs of inebriated floaters! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Wow Becky bummer about your experience there. Here's hoping your next outing is more positive!

Mods, I was sort of wondering to myself aloud, is it ok that we post negative campground reviews in the campground section too?

I have sort of hesitated to post the negative campgrounds we've hit through trial and error as I wasn't quite sure if that's welcome on the forum. Some places I have nothing nice to say about at all so I just don't mention them. OTOH one hopes that others can benefit from the info on places to avoid...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Ernest P. Worrell was known to say "Eww-w-www" on occasion. Too bad about your experience. My Woodall's guide is with my Safari in storage this weekend -- does anybody know if this Jason Place even has a mention in the Woodall's or Trailer Life guides.

Sorry Becky. On to the better news, where were you canoing? What did you like most? Thanks!

Good one klattu.
Another Airstreamer came thru one night and yes Jason Place was listed in the Woodall's book, they were just like us In Shock.
The Current River is great so clear you can see the trout pass by it's not a fast river but my 9 year old loved it. We will for sure go back to canoe and have already found a new place to camp. Oh the water temp is 58 this time of the year cooooool.
Air# 9552
Old 07-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
So, Becky, the campground was awful, but please tell us about the river and the canoeing. I grew up on the Current, my dad always renting cabins for us at Big Springs SP where we played in the water all day while he went off on a John boat fishing. I remember Hot summer days all iced by the clear rushing river. Any highlights from this first of the "wild and scenic" rivers? One thing, many of us from Missouri wait for the spring and fall or even winter times to float these rivers to avoid the city throngs of inebriated floaters! ~G

We floated Wednesday before the crowd and it was just great only a few others, Saturday we went back and it was like bumper canoe's but fun, I have to admit I was right in there with the crowd on Saturday (gotta let your hair down sometime) My family will have to agree with me besides the campground the vacation was one to write in the books.
The other thing hwy 19 is a little hair raising I would call it a cow path with 3 real narrow bridges, one time I looked back at the trailer and the rear was looking at me the roads are curvy.
Air# 9552
Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Wow Becky bummer about your experience there. Here's hoping your next outing is more positive!

Mods, I was sort of wondering to myself aloud, is it ok that we post negative campground reviews in the campground section too?

I have sort of hesitated to post the negative campgrounds we've hit through trial and error as I wasn't quite sure if that's welcome on the forum. Some places I have nothing nice to say about at all so I just don't mention them. OTOH one hopes that others can benefit from the info on places to avoid...
Steph, I hate to post negative stuff but you know it got me to thinking to, we need to know at least the pro's and con's of areas. Sure would help save a week of yuck. Mods let's think about it (please) I always go to the campground reviews and check out the good, maybe we do need to have the bad and ugly to.
Air# 9552
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It would help out our membership most if you did post in the campground reviews. It would be very good IMO if you stay on the objective reporter side -- tell what was there, what was misrepresented, what wasn't nice, and detail what was lousy.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
You do the best you can and then hope you get lucky. Sometimes its best not to pay forward as once they have your money they will not refund. Most of the time you can stay longer without a problem. We have been there too. You look it up on line and it looks beautiful, when you get there you wonder where they got the pic.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, there's a place to post reviews of places right here on AirForums! Just click on Reviews up there at the top of the screen ...

Lynn
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
BUT, please remember when posting negative comments, to do it reporter style...."Just the facts." What one may dislike about a a place, another may be looking for. One may like the hundreds of activities for children where another would prefer there be no children around. There are several opportunities to qualify your judgement, just remember that someone else may be looking for exactly what the CG has - although probably not "the tree", the dusty road, the pile of autos, etc... I currently own and use three different CG Guides - Frommers, Woodall's and Trailer Life. I find all three useful and helpful. I also check out the REVIEWS here on the forums. I can't think of anything worse than booking nights at a terrible CG and both my wife and I worry about that until we arrive at an unknown location. We learned that you CANNOT believe photos - one in Ohio shows hundreds of swimmers sitting on the grassy hillside by the lake and all kinds of entertaining activities for the children by the lake. The place has well over three hundred sites with a fire circle, picnic table and full hook ups. BUT, what they don't tell you is they also have over 300 full time campers!!! It is really a trailer park filled with unmoveable trailers that have been there for years. It was awful! Fortunately, we were just driving through when we found it - and we've marked it with a red marker in all our books as they do advertise a lot! All I'm suggesting is that when reviewing, keep in mind that what you dislike about a CG may be what someone else is looking for - quiet, solitude, overgrowth, etc. Thank you.
Prodigy Brake controls
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd check Woodall's...Jason Place is listed there and it has 2 diamonds for facilities and 3 diamonds for recreation...not the most flattering report...but neither does it leave a "don't go there" feeling...they list a lot of amenities, too...and there's no hint that it is not be the best place to camp.... Too bad there are no personal reviews. I can't find it in Trailer Life Directory...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Rebel, any photos to give us an idea of what you were dealing with? A picture is worth a thousand words, they say...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Current River is Great....BUT, its a Zoo in the summer

Canoe Missouri Current River Jacks Fork River: Float, Camp, Cabins, Fishing, Vacation in the Ozarks.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Naturally, the website photos look inviting. I wonder what RebelBeck was seeing
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you Google the place you'll see some reviews. I saw 5 bad and only one good in a few minutes of searching.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote