Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Oh poop!

You know, sometimes you just want to feel special. Like maybe I won't be like everyone else. That maybe my "honeymoon" period with my stream will last longer than other people. But then, like today, walbernizing my girl, you see IT. Corrosion, filloform, spiders, whatever you call it. I've read the threads, washed, waxed, babied. Yet there it is. The door handle, the occasional rivit, the frame around the battery housing. Aaahh. I'll keep waxing, treating, preventing. It's just that it gets your spirit down.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants
You know, sometimes you just want to feel special. Like maybe I won't be like everyone else. That maybe my "honeymoon" period with my stream will last longer than other people. But then, like today, walbernizing my girl, you see IT. Corrosion, filloform, spiders, whatever you call it. I've read the threads, washed, waxed, babied. Yet there it is. The door handle, the occasional rivit, the frame around the battery housing. Aaahh. I'll keep waxing, treating, preventing. It's just that it gets your spirit down.
It happens but once you get over the initial shock you will still love your stream!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Buy an old one next time... funny how inconsequential a little filiform could seem compared to needing new axles and a new toilet. I need paint too, but I pretend I'm not worried about that.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up The poop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post

MP,

Don't fret the constipation will subside.

Battery door frame corrosion. Can also be applied to the entry door handle.

Entry door hinges.

Using stainless paint to keep filiform from spreading.

The only way I've found to keep the Filiform from spreading is to remove it down to the base.
A dental scaling tool is my recently adopted tool for this, cleaning well with mineral spirits and covering with clear.
Inspecting for clear degradation, washing, sealing/waxing on a regular schedule is the best way to stay ahead of the problem.

Stay the course...

Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Buy an old one next time... funny how inconsequential a little filiform could seem compared to needing new axles and a new toilet. I need paint too, but I pretend I'm not worried about that.
Sooooo true

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Corrosion

I probably shouldn't have titled this "oh poop". People probably thought it was sewer related. I do think that I have my perspective in check. If I paid considerably less for an older model, I would expect to deal with larger issues. I also think that I have my head correctly wrapped around how I'm going to handle this. I will continue to maintain, use, love and inspect my 'stream, all with the knowledge that , like a boat or pool, the owner has to address alot of backround issues. So out comes the dremel, corrosion x and clear nail polish. Wish me luck.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi monkeypants, to offer a sense of perspective, at least you didn't buy a new one (in the $90,000 range), only to find corrosion breaking out within the first 6 months....
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post

~
I will continue to maintain, use, love and inspect my 'stream, all with the knowledge that , like a boat or pool, the owner has to address alot of backround issues. So out comes the dremel, corrosion x and clear nail polish. Wish me luck.
By George I think he's got it!

This is our lot in life... to love and maintain a big fun toy that seems to see part of its job as frustrating us!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote