Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
"nothing bad has happened yet"

It's amazing what you observe, once you're "in the know". I certainly don't claim to be the master of the tow...but I can certainly recognize these situations may be just a bit over the line of good judgement. I'm amazed this year at the combinations we've seen on the road, scary to watch them travel.

Photos taken on my way home today.

pic 1. A minivan towing what looked to me like a 25 foot dual axle SOB, with no sway or load distribution.

pic 2/3. Just down the street from me. Again, 25foot plus trailer, towed by an older GMC Jimmy.

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00018.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	40049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00056.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	40050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00057.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	40051  

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yikes! Let me know next time they are on the road, I'll duck and cover. That Jimmy is a disaster waiting to happen. The Astro at least looks like it is handling the tongue weight reasonably well, even though we know it ain't kosher.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I know just what you mean!

We're riding down the highway in the slow lane doing 55 with our trailer.

We get passed by a F-150 with a load of wood in the bed and a toyhauler! No WD hitch. The trailer ball was at most 3 inches off the ground and he's doing 70.

I said the same prayer I say when the insane bike riders go by.

"Lord protect them from themselves and don't let it go wrong around me. I don't want to see it."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We saw a lot of similar situations on the highways this past week. Walking around the campground and looking at the various vehicles and what they were towing we were surprised at how many actually got there in one piece. I was totally blown away at how many did not have a weight distributing hitch or sway control of any kind - and mostly on later model vans and trucks that appeared to be hugely outclassed by their trailers. I'm estimating that 20% of the rigs we saw in our campground were in one way or another a hazard on the highway and I think I'm low on that percentage but being kind to some. We were taking particular note as one of our own group had an experience a while back where what he thought was a good hitch set up turned out to be incorrect and quite risky. Fortunately he realized it and corrected it, but once he mentioned it we took a walk around the campground and were amazed and disappointed at what we found.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You'd think those setups would be self-correcting. That can't be a fun or relaxing drive! After a few trips white-knuckling it, they'd change their setup, unless they think travelling down the road with the front tires barely touching the ground is normal procedure...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
You'd think those setups would be self-correcting. That can't be a fun or relaxing drive! After a few trips white-knuckling it, they'd change their setup, unless they think travelling down the road with the front tires barely touching the ground is normal procedure...
I am inclined to believe that given some of the rigs I see...the worst IMHO so far was a Geo Tracker towing a 25' lightweight with no WD it was wandering down I-95 southbound at around 45 mph. The rig had NH plates on it...and we were in SC so it had come a long ways. Some people just have no clue and if they get stopped and cited for improper equipment they will get mad or get a lawyer and get off. It gets my ire up because they are not only endangering themselves but all the people on the roadway around them. I have taken to not using the interstates if there is a viable alternate route.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
It has been reported that over 90% of the combinations on the roads today are not connected optimally and 80% are marginal at best. These are disturbing numbers.
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The older I get, the more I believe that Darwin and his theory of natural selection really may have validity.

I have watched this for several years now, and it's appalling how many rigs on the road are improperly leveled, overloaded, or otherwise unsafe. Frankly, that's one of the reasons I avoid the interstate system whenever possible.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The worst (stupidest?) rig I have seen was an S-10 fitted with a goosneck receiver, towing a gooseneck equipment trailer, which was carrying a payloader. The whole suspension was bottomed out, the tires were bulging, and the frame of the truck was maybe an inch off the road. The engine was screaming, and the smell of burning frictyion material from either the clutch or brakes hung in the air several minutes after it went by.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
just a quck update. The Jimmy has no sway control either.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
just a quck update. The Jimmy has no sway control either.
Please tell me you saw a brake controller in it...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Terry had to get after my brother in law after he bought thier SOB coach, because Frank thought safety gear was "stupid and not necessary". When Terry got done with him all safety gear was purchased and is still being used. Frank will still baulk, but he has learned to listen to Terry.

Marie
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
I haven't seen too many poorly towed campers (well...the end results anyway), but I have seen several pieces of heavy equipment such as bull dozers, front end loaders, tractors, etc... meet an early demise. How hard can it be? You go, you turn, and most important, you stop. If you can't do all three safely then don't drive.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Although I do not agree with the Jimmy and Van not using appropriate safety towing gear for this size of trailer, perhaps I will be labled a hypocrite.

My trailer does not weigh enough for a Reese or EQlizer towing system. Weighing between 1800-2000 lbs, there isn't enough tongue weight for sway arms to work for me (So I have been told). I will say that I tow with a V6 Trailblazer, Prodigy brake controller, new coupler with brakeaway and chains, but no weight distribution system. I have driven in 50 MPY front and cross winds as well and passed and been passed by semis. I have had no swaying to this point, and my trailer and tow vehicle look to be pretty straight when hooked up.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

We saw one that was a combo of two of these picutres. S-10 Blazer, no weight or sway, just on the ball with the chains on (which snapped, as you'll read a bit later on). The behind of the trailer must have been making this S-10 sag.

When I got there, it was only about 1 minute from when it happend. I was on my way back from the Midwest Rally in Mackinaw. S-10 sitting, after rolling, on it's driver's side. RV in the grassy median, dog that was in the trailer, running down the Interstate.

Man, who looked like he was the driver, standing out the rear passenger, wife or girlfriend, standing out the passenger side front window, both looked like deer in headlights. Blood, cuts, scratches...dunno if any more serious injuries.

The tralier broke up and their stuff poured out as the trailer rolled to a rest in the grassy median of the highway.

I bought a Suburban to tow the 25' Safari when I got home and stopped towing the Safari with my Chevy sedan, even though I had all the right gear that this guy didn't, it was that moment when I realized it just wasn't worth it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote