Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Note in the House Door

Yesterday, I arrived home and noticed a piece of paper sticking out of my front storm door of the house. So, I retrieved it.

The note said: If you are interested in selling your trailer, call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx - John Smith

I park my trailer inside my brick fenced backyard and have full hookups available for getting my trailer ready or winterizing, so apparently, this individual spotted my trailer in the backyard, peeked over the fence, etc...and then left me the note.

I mentioned to my wife that I should call the number, and I got a stern warning I was NOT to sell "her" trailer. nevermind the title is in my name, I do all the maintenance and she never wants to drive when we are towing.

Anyone else have someone leave a note offering to buy?

It is a wonder one of my neighbors didn't greet him with Messers Smith & Wesson or call the cops.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have had a few people driving down my street, spot my trailer, and ask if it is for sale. I always say no. Maybe things are different in Texas, but just because someone looked at your trailer and left a note asking if it is for sale, I don't think that is cause for bringing out the guns.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Not exactly sure how you made the leap that I was bringing out any guns.

Apparently your tongue in cheek meter is malfunctioning...

AIR # 410
Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I say give him a call, he may make you an offer that you can not refuse. You have nothing to lose. I had two people this past weekend while camping ask if my Bambi II was for sale.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Parked the trailer in front of the house the first night we got it home. Loud banging on the door at 7Am the next morning....

I understand that a few blocks away we are known as the "Airstream couple who are never home..."

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

People do notice an Airstream, they also notice when it's not there, which often is cause for concern while on the road. Luckily we have a pretty close knit community here so it eases the worry somewhat.

When the 63 Safari was parked on the pad we got quite a few sale inquires every year. We kept track of some, which worked out very well when we did decide to sell, as one of the leads led to the eventual sale to a couple in RI.

Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
When we have our Minuet parked in the drive way we also get those knocks at the door. "Hi - I'd be willing to take that old painted Airstream off your hands..."

Yeah - right.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have gotten notes on our front door, too. Or, verbal offers from people driving by when we are in our front yard.

Also, cars stopped next to us at traffic lights have rolled down their windows to comment on how good a condition our Bambi is in, or that we did a really good job of restoring it. Many are amazed to find out that Airstream is still in business when they find out ours is a 2005 model.

So far, all have been innocent comments, mostly out of curiosity and accompanied by "I've always wanted one of those..."
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
At least 2 or 3 times a year someone will knock on the door to ask if the trailer is for sale. This also happened with our previous SOB.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
we have the opposite; people want to buy the house if we have been gone for awhile.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I called him. Told him it wasn't actively for sale, but everything had a price, and if he wanted to make an offer, go ahead.

In 15 minutes, he tried 5 times to get me to put a price on it. And all I would say is: if you want to buy it, make an offer, and I will consider it....otherwise I plan to keep it.

He kept steering the conversation towards "if you want to get rid of it, tell me what you would take".

His conversation indicated to me he was Airstream knowledgable, and his tone indicated to me he was looking to pick up a trailer on the cheap.

He never made an offer, and I never set a price.

Kinda reminded me of American Pickers on the History Channel.

AIR # 410
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
we have the opposite; people want to buy the house if we have been gone for awhile.
I had a neighbor ask me if my house was going to be for sale soon. I ask Why? He said he noticed that I had bought an Airstream and figured that I would be putting the house up for sale and hitting the road soon. He had the right idea but just a bit premature. I will be retiring one year from today for the second time, house will go up for sale and I will be hitting the road then.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The easy answer to such silliness is a number big enough to send them away. 75% of the list price for a new 30-footer of your preferred style should be enough to make him mad enough to hang up!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Did I miss understand, or did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
Yesterday, I arrived home and noticed a piece of paper sticking out of my front storm door of the house. So, I retrieved it.

The note said: If you are interested in selling your trailer, call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx - John Smith

I park my trailer inside my brick fenced backyard and have full hookups available for getting my trailer ready or winterizing, so apparently, this individual spotted my trailer in the backyard, peeked over the fence, etc...and then left me the note.

I mentioned to my wife that I should call the number, and I got a stern warning I was NOT to sell "her" trailer. nevermind the title is in my name, I do all the maintenance and she never wants to drive when we are towing.

Anyone else have someone leave a note offering to buy?

It is a wonder one of my neighbors didn't greet him with Messers Smith & Wesson or call the cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have had a few people driving down my street, spot my trailer, and ask if it is for sale. I always say no. Maybe things are different in Texas, but just because someone looked at your trailer and left a note asking if it is for sale, I don't think that is cause for bringing out the guns.
Quote:
Not exactly sure how you made the leap that I was bringing out any guns.

Apparently your tongue in cheek meter is malfunctioning...
Hi, no malfunctioning here; I didn't say that you, personally were bringing out the guns, but you insinuated that maybe one of your neighbors might have.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Reminds me of American Picker

They find AS and want to buy it guy comes back at $75k now this needed total refurbish. I am sure someone will try to buy mine, had several people checking it out. For right price I might, what ever it would cost to replace and ship another.

American Pickers ended up getting a AS, need to see some more shows. If someone is serious about buying something they will fire money offers at you even if it's not for sale.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We will sell when it is time to go to Mexico.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As they say, "Everything's for sale if the price is right!"...

Our AS's value might be 'reasonable' to some, but they couldn't afford the added charge for all my 'labor' since we bought it!

To paraphrase Clint..."Make me an offer, Punk - do you feel lucky today?"
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I left a note in someone's front door asking if their Airstream was for sale. It now sits in my backyard as my project.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Sell or not to Sell

Quote:
I called him. Told him it wasn't actively for sale, but everything had a price, and if he wanted to make an offer, go ahead.
In 15 minutes, he tried 5 times to get me to put a price on it. And all I would say is: if you want to buy it, make an offer, and I will consider it....otherwise I plan to keep it.
He kept steering the conversation towards "if you want to get rid of it, tell me what you would take".
His conversation indicated to me he was Airstream knowledgable, and his tone indicated to me he was looking to pick up a trailer on the cheap.
He never made an offer, and I never set a price.
Kinda reminded me of American Pickers on the History Channel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would gave a rediculas high price just to see what he said.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I figured the first one to lip off had the most vulnerability, so I decided to not price it as it is not actively for sale.

IF I was trying to sell it, it would be listed here and other places, AND PRICED.
Peeps who list their stuff for sale and want the buyer to price it are as irritating as the buyer who wants to buy something not listed for sale, but wants the person not selling it to price it.

If you want to sell something you should know what price you want for it. And, if you want to buy something not listed for sale you need to know what you would offer for it.

Pretty simple.

AIR # 410