Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Reminds me of American Picker

They find AS and want to buy it guy comes back at $75k now this needed total refurbish. I am sure someone will try to buy mine, had several people checking it out. For right price I might, what ever it would cost to replace and ship another.

American Pickers ended up getting a AS, need to see some more shows. If someone is serious about buying something they will fire money offers at you even if it's not for sale.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We will sell when it is time to go to Mexico.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As they say, "Everything's for sale if the price is right!"...

Our AS's value might be 'reasonable' to some, but they couldn't afford the added charge for all my 'labor' since we bought it!

To paraphrase Clint..."Make me an offer, Punk - do you feel lucky today?"
Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I left a note in someone's front door asking if their Airstream was for sale. It now sits in my backyard as my project.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Sell or not to Sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
I called him. Told him it wasn't actively for sale, but everything had a price, and if he wanted to make an offer, go ahead.
In 15 minutes, he tried 5 times to get me to put a price on it. And all I would say is: if you want to buy it, make an offer, and I will consider it....otherwise I plan to keep it.
He kept steering the conversation towards "if you want to get rid of it, tell me what you would take".
His conversation indicated to me he was Airstream knowledgable, and his tone indicated to me he was looking to pick up a trailer on the cheap.
He never made an offer, and I never set a price.
Kinda reminded me of American Pickers on the History Channel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would gave a rediculas high price just to see what he said.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I figured the first one to lip off had the most vulnerability, so I decided to not price it as it is not actively for sale.

IF I was trying to sell it, it would be listed here and other places, AND PRICED.
Peeps who list their stuff for sale and want the buyer to price it are as irritating as the buyer who wants to buy something not listed for sale, but wants the person not selling it to price it.

If you want to sell something you should know what price you want for it. And, if you want to buy something not listed for sale you need to know what you would offer for it.

Pretty simple.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Two years ago I had a guy who actually went to the courthouse and looked me up at the register of deeds. I got a letter from him with his phone # etc asking me if I would sell.
He seemed a bit crestfallen when I called him and said no, it wasn't for sale.
By the way, if anyone needed a safe place to boondock for a night or two my AS would probably appreciate a little company.
Near Aitkin in central MN. I am rarely there.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
Funny story: Once we had someone ask if we would sell. He said I never see it move; I know you don't use it. I told him we just came back from a cross-country trip two weeks ago. Again, he said he never sees it move. So again, I told him we use it quite frequently. He again asserted we don't use it. Now a bit frustrated with the conversation I said we LOVE OUR TRAILER and would give him a number to call to buy new. But I did say everything is for sale make me an offer. He again asserted we don't use it, offering $4000. He was mad when I said no, we love and use our trailer. The conversation continued in the same fashion till he finally left.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Well, it's got a flat tire...you obviously don't care about it.

I have had many notes left offering to buy our Bambi II, several people knock on the door, and once we came home from church to find people looking very closely at it in our driveway. They were sort of surprised to see us pull in, but waited to have a conversation with us.

Another person told us we should definitely sell it to him as it had a flat tire and we obviously didn't care about it. True- the tire was flat, but that was the least of our worries. We still love that little silver trailer. It is very much under slow reconstruction; and currently sits with no wheels or tires up on jack stands. My wife loves that!

I am thinking of putting a "NO" sign in the back window (facing the road). A former student's father did the same with his Corvette- all dusty in his barn-and the lookers relented.

Truth be told, though, I don't get so frustrated with lookers as I used to. I would do the same thing if I were in their shoes. I recently sent a letter to the owner of a rough, rough 1963 Bambi asking if it is for sale. It is stored out behind a college rental house that he owns and one of the tenants gave me his contact info, so I sent the letter. Why not...the worst he can say is no.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Well said Bambi II.
I get that on my tractors fairly often.
Like you, if someone sees an item I have and it isn't adertised for sale they really do need to be first to name a price.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Site Team

, Minnesota
Jerry,

Wow, no posts for six months and then 3 in less than a week! I may get up to Aitken this summer and would love to stop and visit.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love threads like this. I can't hold any ill will towards those hopeful folks who knock on doors, I have done the same. Right now I know of a 20ft Argosy Motorhome that hasn't moved in at least 6 years (believe me, there's no question about the lack of movement this poor motorhome has seen recently), and a 65 Mustang fastback that's rotting away under a weatherbeaten tarp, and if I had any money to spare I'd go knock on their doors just for the heck of it. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We've had people ask. And had a person stop by to ask if we knew answer to one of his questions about his own Airstream.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Oh! Just remembered we saw an older Airstream sitting in a front yard on Highway 65 in Arkansas (near Harrison or Marshal?) and it had a huge sign on it, NOT for Sale! Apparently since its on a busy highway toward Branson, he'd had enough of folks knocking on his door.

Everybody wants a 'Stream - one of the cool things about owning one.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote