Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

noobie question, A/S wieght

I am a jeep( read noobie) when It come to the airstream. I am wondering what the wieght of the airstream is? I am wondering what size I should look for to pull?
It more than likely be a rebuilder/resto/ mod type as it would be in my price range and accually seen a couple that I may check on?

Tim
Airstreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are many different models and weights. If I read you right, you have a Jeep? Checked your profile and no help there either.

Can you post specifically what your car/truck is and I am sure a bunch of folks can jump in on info and suggestions.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
noobie question, A/S wieght

Greetings Tim!

Welcome to the Forums!

Depending upon year, model, and equipment; you may have a very modest or a relatively wide array of potential Airstreams to choose from. Probably the most capable Jeep tow vehicle was the pre-1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the 360, 390, or 401 cubic inch V8. I towed my '64 Overlander for about two years with a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with the 360 V8 and heavy duty trailer tow package - - the only down-side was its maximum cruising range while towing of 180 miles. The later model Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee vehicles with the V8 and heavy duty trailer towing package are generally considered to be best for the 24' and under trailers weighing less than 6,000 pounds.

You will need to check your Jeep to determine its trailer tow limit. The trailer tow limit can be determined by a Jeep dealer if it isn't readily apparent by reading the owner's manual. Another less precise method is to determine the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of your Jeep then find the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) - - trailer towing capacity is then the GCVWR less the GVWR - - this forumula, however, does not take into account frontal area restrictions that are used by some of the manufacturers.

When you know the towing limitations of your Jeep, you can check the weights and measures pdf at the Airstream web site to determine whether a particular trailer is within the capabilities of your tow vehicle.
Airstream Weights and Measures

The thing to remember when looking at these weights is that for the older models the only weight given is the Dry Weight - - the dry weight is the weight of the coach without options, empty tanks (water, LP, black water tank, and gray water tank if so equipped), and no personal possessions on board. For the later trailers, GVWR is the gross vehicle weight rating or the maximum that the loaded trailer can weigh without violating its engineering specifications. The ideal, and with Airstreams it is relatively easy to achieve, is to have between 12% and 15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch - - another possible consideration as some vehcile manufacturers will also limit maximum tongue weight as well as maximum trailer weight and frontal area in their trailer towing specifications.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I think the Jeep was a little missleading . I guess being in the milatary for 9 years had an effect on me. in the USAF geep means inexperianced,green, new, fresh.

For a tow vehicle right now I have a 95 Explorer XLT, 4.0 v6 4x4. but by the time I get an Airstream I may have upgraded to something bigger. Time will tell.

Tim
Airstreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would say International 16' CCD or 19' Bambi max given the vehicle.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Here is a link to all the Airstream weights going back to 1954:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf

Note that these are empty weights without any options.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote