Old 05-18-2005, 03:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

No Quality Control/very unhappy

1. dead bolt. (will not lock)
2.lights leak, bulbs short out
3.letters (the airstream letters are working lose, bowed on ends)
4.Mirror/board (the cork board glue is not holding.
5.caulk in bathroom ( was not caulked
6.Wheels do not seem to be balanced (no weights)
7. rust (rear lights, above license plate, and intake on side water inlet
8. CABINET. (REAR CABINET IS HANGING ON LEFT SIDE NOTICE TWO SCREWS WERE OUT AND LAYING ON THE SHELF. tHE MIDDLE ALSO LOOKS LOSE AND STRIPED, ALSO SAGGING OVER THE WINDOW.
9.FLOOR squeaks in the area of the closet, sink bed area.
10. Refigerator, (lock does not work)
11. Gas regulator does not seem to show accurate gase amount always shows empty
12. switch for hot water heater sticking out from wall
13. one defective propane tank
14. table had two of the screws fall out stripped
15 pull out draw handle feel out
I expected a lot more for what I paid. Always thought that airstream was the
top of the line, best RV one could own.
On top of it all I had to go out of state to purchase a 2004 ccd 16 ft. Couldn't find any here in Ca.
Now the dealer that handles them here not far from modesto, dosen't seem to want to work on it since I DIDN'T PURCHASE IT FROM THEM!! I am hot!!
If I had it all to do over again I would have never purchased the airstream.
It reminds me of what happened to Harley Davidson when they sold out to
I think it was AMS. Is that whats happened to Airstream?? I am very unhappy, and fell like a fool paying what I did, and getting poor quality workmanship, and a hard time getting any warranty work done on it.
Any body looking for a 2004 CCD in need of TLC, $27500.00

Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Sorry to hear about this! There are two good threads going on this topic...one thread is for tracking the quality of the 2004 models and the other is for the 2005 models .

One other thing to note with regards to the tire balancing, I believe Airstream mounts the weights inside the wheel. At least that is how it was done on my 2002 Bambi.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Arrow Yikes!

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about all of your problems. When in 2004 did you purchase your AS? I thought I had heard that they had problems in 2003 through part of 2004. I sure hope these kind of persistent problems AS seemed to have for at least a couple years have cleared up because we're picking up our 2005 Safari in two weeks. My biggest questions for both the dealer and AS before we bought one were about all of the quality problems I had been hearing about. Your right, it stinks to pay so much for something that should be a Rolls Royce and you end up with, well, something that's not.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Yikes times 2

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Like the previous post, I'd heard there were some issues from 03' into some of the 04's.

When we were shopping for our Airstream last Spring we thought we'd wanted a 22 ft CCD. We went to a local dealer (only a few hours from home) to take a look through one. As I went through the trailer I kept all the issues I'd read about on the forums in mind.

As we looked at the trailer I counted more than 10 very obvious flaws. One of the worst was the little night stand area near the bed. It was literally peeling away from the wall! You could see insulating material coming out from behind the stand. Also, the cuts on all the cabinets were rough, not well finished, and generally not up to par. Finally, there was already a warping issue with the bathroom door.

We told the sales person all of the issues we saw just on a visual inspection. I didn't even want to think about the hidden issues! We continued looking around the lot, and my wife decided she like the 04 Safari 25 Six Sleeper more. Since they were in the same price range we felt pretty good. Like the 22 I went through a visual inspection and found no glaring issues like the CCD. Just a huge difference in the quality, and I thought the CCD was supposed to be the "high end".

After a month we decided on the 25 Safari. When we returned to purchase I walked through the 22 again. Nothing had been fixed, but there were orange stickers on each of the items I'd noted to the sales guy. Wonder if it got fixed up.

We've had a few minor issues with the Safari, but nothing on the order of your difficulties.

With the whole list of problems you've had you should really contact Airstream directly. It is a shame that the local dealer is not being helpful. That reflects badly back on Airstream as well. For the price you should surely expect much more.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
yikes

With all those screws all over the place it sounds like the running gear is severely out of balance. It also sounds like the delivery service that delivered you AS from OH to CA drove too fast and shook everything loose.

Just my humble opinion.

Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Also sorry to hear about the issue you're having....have you contacted the factory or your dealer? What issues have you seen difficult about warranty work? Have you communicated those concerns to the factory customer service folks?

I too had some issues and found that working with the folks at the factory helped greatly. Of course I know some folks go into it thinking that Airstream is going to give them a new coach, and typically that's not the case, but at the very least, I'd have contacted the factory if the dealer you bought from is giving you problems.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
It also sounds like the delivery service that delivered you AS from OH to CA drove too fast and shook everything loose.
I didn't see where she said it came from Ohio. If I missed it, show me where. I thought she just said out of state.

I won't defend crappy workmanship from Airstream, but I will defend my service manager at my dealership. I really don't believe we would have let a unit like that go in that condition. It's all warranty work so there's NO reason for my service manager to NOT fix it. If you did get it at my dealership (Paul Sherry) and it was in that condition, you need to call your salesman and tell him of these problems to prevent them from happening again.

The delivery services do reputedly cause many problems. They over-inflate the tires so they get less friction and better fuel economy...cargo be damned. In the mean time, it's shaking the $#@* out of the trailer and it's very difficult to hold them liable because it always comes back to the dealer or the manufacturer. I can assure you that if you would have bought a "white box" the damage would have been worse if it is indeed the delivery service who is at fault.

I'm sorry to hear that you are getting out before you have really gotten in. Mention the Better Business Bureau to your local dealer and see if that gets them moving on your warranty claim.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
imagine----We too bought and identical 04,16' ccd. I say identical because it had almost identical problems, with the exception of loose cabnets. We actually had a few more items we could add to the list. Our dealer was 450 miles away and the factory even further at 1600. Both expressed surprise when called and were more than willing to make any repairs. The only problem,of course, the distance back and forth. I am handy enough to make the repairs myself,so after 14 months of fixing things that just kept becoming apparent or falling apart we finally had one that was put together as it should have been in the first place. By this time our trailering needs changed and we wanted a larger one for more extended travel. We really liked Airstreams but after our expearence with the 04 bambi were apprehensive to say the least. We did take a chance and traded up to an 05 ,25' classic. I had determined that when it came from the factory, if it had any "Major" issues I would refuse it, ask for another or buy something else. As it turned out ours was as near perfect as you could expect. Having gone through what I did with the other I have looked in every crack and crevice in this one and am very pleased. I am still puzzeled about why the 04 was so much different that this 05. I don't know if they put more effort in the Classic's or if it there has been an honest to goodness effort to improve quality. At any rate I "feel your pain" and hope you can get things worked out so you can enjoy your trailer. I still feel the basic trailer quailty is good but that the "assembly" is what is poor. That said I think if you stay with it long enough to get these items worked out you'll enjoy it for lots of years.
Pieman
Old 05-18-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

My problems

thanks for your empathy, it helps ease the pain. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the airstream, inside and out. I am not a chronic complainer!!
I just guess I had hopes that the quality control matched the name, and looks of the airstream. This is only my second camper. I once had a 8 ft camper that I lived in while redoing the missile silos in the midwest. many were at remote locations so it was handy to just stay at the site. It was NO AIRSTREAM, just the basics. I have no problem with fixing, and have fixed several items myself.
Its just that several, including the shelf starting to come loose, could be a dangerous situation. What if it had fallen off while we were sleeping under it. ( on the 16ftccd it's overhead). I also fear that the floor soft spot is going to be a major problem to fix. I would guess that they will have to peel the vinyl flooring up to get to the problem.
I am just frustrated, I had this vacation all planned for this coming week.
Now I will have to wait to see if the dealership here is willing to take the time to fix a unit that, as he put it to me ( I didn't purchase there)!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Of course, the fact he's an Airstream dealer means one thing but..is the location an Authorize Service Center as well?
Quote:
( I didn't purchase there)!
I see a trip back to Ohio in your future..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
On top of it all I had to go out of state to purchase a 2004 ccd 16 ft. Couldn't find any here in Ca.
Now the dealer that handles them here not far from modesto, dosen't seem to want to work on it since I DIDN'T PURCHASE IT FROM THEM!!
This brings up an interesting point. First not all dealerships will have every model of Airstream on hand. Obviously you wanted a unit badly and decided not to order one from the dealership in Modesto. Of course the dealership should service your trailer, but did they downright refuse service or did they want to give you a future appointment date (maybe too far in the future for your liking?)?

I thought very carefully about that issue when I purchased my first Airstream about 4 years ago. I could have saved $300 by going out of state but I really figured that buying locally would give me a little more weight if service became an issue. That came to roost on Monday when I called about a small leak that has developed by a skylight. The first words I heard were we are booked up till after the Memorial Day holiday,....but what's your name? At that point I heard the tapping of the computer keys and the next words were, Mr. Canavera we will work you in right away, when can you bring your trailer out to us. I know that the fact that I bought that trailer there moved me into a right away repair status vs. an early June repair.

Say what you want but you can bet a dealer will always give first preference to his customer vs. someone who is local but bought from the outside.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
Now I will have to wait to see if the dealership here is willing to take the time to fix a unit that, as he put it to me ( I didn't purchase there)!
What dealer are you talking about? Toscano? I would find it hard to believe that Toscano gave you a hard time. I just got a service appointment for the 24th for warranty work before even giving my name. I have nothing but good experiences with Toscano service.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Imagine.

From what I understand, as long as the trailer is under warranty, ANY Airstream dealer should(has to) be able to work on your trailer, and they somehow get reimbursed by AS.

That's not to say you will get preferential treatment, but it sure beats traveling a long ways away to get the details ironed out.

That being said, there is an AS dealer/service place that is not real far from me that I wouldn't let within five feet of my unit.

Look for an AS dealer/service center closer to you, but check right here for forum members experiance with that company.

On another note, I did buy my AS from Paul Sherry, a six hour drive for me from Chicago, not only based on price, but a recommendation from someone else on this list who had a pretty good experiance, and I know that he is just as retentive as me!!! (You know who you are!!!!)

The service dept. at P.Sherry was top notch.

Jonathan
Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I know that he is just as retentive as me!!! (You know who you are!!!!)

The service dept. at P.Sherry was top notch.

Jonathan
I can't think for the life of me who that is referring to.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote