Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
No more motels!!!!!

Never ever will we get a motel room again. We went to a wedding this weekend and stayed in a motel (Hampton Inn) not again the Airstream will go with us even if we have to stay in a parking lot. Upon checkin we found out our tv in the room was not working and the room had a odor we were able to get the first night free and the next morning they fixed the tv. My husband made the statement if we had the Airstream we would have tv. When we pulled in the driveway and Peppy was looking at us I felt so bad we didnt let him go it will be the last time. The wedding was great the pre party's and reception great beer and wine and a wonderfull band.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Oh yeah I hear you on that one!

Becky,
Sorry you had that experience, we've had similar and I know just what you mean!! We stayed at an airport hotel (Alcoa) near Knoxville, ugh, everything smelled like cigarette smoke in a non smoking room, even the pillows, glad we brought the little guys own stuff so he didn't have to deal with that. Yuck! It was a "Hilton" too--go figure...if only we'd had the vacation time we would have taken the airstream....
Take care and happy camping!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
That is one thing we enjoy about our AS. We know who has been sleeping in our bed. Speaking of Hampton, we had reservations at the Hampton Inn in N Kansas City last year and after seeing the room, refused to stay at the motel. There were several long black hairs on one pillow case of the neatly made bed and spots of dried white substance (dna?) on the floor near the edge of the bed. My wife freaked out and demanded our money back.

At least if there is a hair on the pillow case in our AS, we know its ours!

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I travel for work a lot (about 110 nights last year) and have 'seen it all' in motel rooms, at one time or another. Best not to think about it...

Staying in my Airstream is a luxury, especially when it's parked in a campsite at my favorite lake!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
One must stay in a Motel every once in a while and you realize how nice the Airstream really is,

We took a 10 day road trip without the Airstream last year to southern Florida , it will not happen again without the Airstream !!!!!

200 dollars a night and I prefer my Roadhouse .
Old 04-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ditto, ditto, ditto and Amen! We've seen those "Black Light" news stories where the go into five star resorts and show the walls, beds, toilet areas and the like under the black light. YUCK!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
After just spending 10 weeks and 4K+ miles in mine, I must say there's no place like home on the road. I do wish the shower was bigger though......
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hey, it least you know!!!

Tamis -

Hey, at least that shower is YOURS!!! You know everything that went on there... and everywhere else.

Priceless....

Nuf said!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
We stayed in a motel the night we picked up our AS from th PO. The motel wasn't bad....inside. However It was definitely not trailer friendly. No pull-thru and this was at a national chain! Only one way in or out. I pulled in before I realized that so then had to experience backing my 26 footer for the first time (around a corner no less!) I just took it slow and managed to do it without smashing anyone/thing. Had to park it in the Denny's lot next door.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
My 'Homeward bound' journey...

My homeward bound journey also found me in such a national chain lot. 1st trailer to us so we weren't ready yet to overnight, hence the national chain.... Today is another story.... I am READY baby!!!!!!!

Anywhooo, I also had the '46 point' turnaround that avoided all of the numerous objects (semi's, PT cruisers, trash recepticals, etc) cleverly placed to cause MAX discomfort.... Hit nothing other than a curb at a mind altering .012mph This was on the curb side which was already down from 3 to 2 tires, at 9:30pm on a Saturday with a snow storm hard on our heels....

Did get the tire, did out run the storm. Did get home safely and have enjoyed SilverToy ever since!!!!

Spent 2 hours outside commun'ing with her today - we spent quality time together. DON"T tell the wife!!! She'll just want some that....!;>)

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
in defense of motels...

while generally agreeing with what ya'll are saying, i'll play devil's advocate, and argue that somet things about m(h)otels can be good, some of the time....

- in small communities especially, locally-owned m(h)otels inject much needed $$$ into the local economy, and support the people hosting my visit to their part of the world. while i still spend money in the community when i take the AS, i'm sending the larger part of my bucks to oil suppliers around the world.

- m(h)otels, especially locally-owned non-chain, can provide some of the best memories of a trip. wife and i spent a couple of weeks travelling the byways of northern Mexico a couple of years ago. some of our most charming, funniest, and intense memories of that trip are specifically due to the little dumps, comfy strip motels, and crumbling remains of Colonial grandeur we stayed in. i could tell you some stories!

- new surroundings! every night! the thrill of breaking the strip over the toilet seat and unwrapping the little tumblers! little shampoo and soap souveneirs! kooky, quirky owners and employees!

however, having said all that, i'll take the AS over 100% of the boring plastic boxes that we typically get forced into during the "gotta-get-there" phase of our trips.

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Coming back from our honeymoon at Cape Cod, we stopped at a motel in Newington, Conn. The room was cold, heat did not work, even after several calls to the front desk. My wife turned on the shower to 100% hot, and left it on all night!

Sunday we took the Airstream to Blue Springs, for the day. Nice to have your own bathroom, dressing room, and fridge for a day trip!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
oh yeah, and one more thing....

soon we're taking our first big trip with the AS - a 5000-mile roundtrip to New Mexico this May.

if we're lucking enough to pay only $3.00/gal, that trip will cost us about $400 more dragging Toasty instead of our past habit of driving our economy car, staying in motels about 60% of the time and tent-camping the rest.

this cost differential is of course greater for us than it would be for others, 'cause our old car gets great gas mileage, there are only two of us, we camp a lot anyway, and we're cheap dates as far as eating out goes.

j
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote