Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

no luck in portland

Man i have been looking for a airstream in portland oregon for about the last year and i havent found anything close to what i want. we want a trailer under 19 feet. we really would like to find an 18 foot safari. im a student so I.E. very poor. we would really like to find something that we can tear apart and make our own over time. does anyone know anyone in the northwest. or just have advice on how to go about looking for one. thank you all for all the advice so far.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Look far and wide..

Loki-

Unfortunately, you're not alone in your search for perfect sub-20' Airstream... See post below for link to RVTraderonline, and you might also try www.airstream.net to see what classifieds look like on Vintage Airstream site. Many come and go within a week, so it pays to have funding plans in order, and decision-making hat firmly planted on head... There was an 18 or 20' Argosy on RVTrader site, with very minor body ding, but I can't recall location..

There is also a section of this forum to list trailers for sale, though there are not many items listed, probably due to challenges of getting threads started...

You may wish to rely on other Forum members to do some local inspection/checkouts if you find one away from Portland, though usual warnings should apply. A number of posters have bought as far as 2,000 miles from home and dragged back home to begin loving restoration...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
no luck in portland

Greetings Loki!

I agree with John McG. The Vintage single axle coaches remain popular, and a reasonably priced unit will not stay on the market long. I was prepared to travel 1,200 miles to inspect a Minuet and was just 48-hours from my departure time when I discovered a newly placed advertisement on the VAC classifieds for a Minuet that was less than 275 miles from my home - - less than 48-hours later, I was towing that coach home. Persistence will eventually pay off.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
Soul Rebels

From the rear veiw mirror an airstream has one length. Focus on your budget and of
course your "studies". Family & friend found mine for me. get your people involved.
desire can fog the road, just drive-you'll find your home.
Bob&Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Depending on You budget...

You should contact Dallas at
http://www.vintagetrailersplus.com/
he always has bargain trailers in your
area.
H
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
He has a little traveller right now that looks like a great project. I already have my hands full, else I'd be trying to snap it up for my next project.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Today my Wife just bought a 1983 Burro 13 feet. I told her we can pull it behind our Airstream Trailer after I install a hitch. It will be a great camper for our two dogs Sara and Shelby. Maybe I can paint it pink like Ms. Piggy's trailer.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote