Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
No grey tank, no sewer hookup

So far since using our '71 with out a grey tank last year and this year we have only stayed at full hookup resorts.

Which are nice but sometimes you are too close to your neigboors and the sites are not very remote.

I was thinking of getting one of those blue tank toters, like the 22 gallon one. But with 4 of us showering and washing dishes I just don't know how pratical it really is.

I assume I would be dumping it daily.

I am not talking about boondocking here, just state campgrounds which don't typically offer sewer connections.

I would like to try camping closer to a river or on a beach.

How do others w/o a grey tank handle this?

Also our black tank is only like 12 gallons and the four of us fill that up real quick. At least every two days. Do you use the tote tanks for black water as well?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Tim, my 31 does not have a grey tank and the black tank is around 17 gallons. I use my 22 gallon blue tank for grey water and to dump the black tank without moving the coach. Depending on how you shower, you may get one or two showers in the grey tank.

This past weekend we had minimal grey water, as we used the CG's showers, which were excellent. I used the blue tank to dump the black tank once. I have the hitch for the 22 gallon unit that slips over the ball of the trailer hitch. Makes it a lot easier.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

We too love the state park campgrounds so I have already thought about this situation.

Although we haven't been on our maiden voyage yet (next weekend...yippee!!) we are planning on using the bath house toilets as much as possible and using the AS toilet only for those middle of the night circumstances.

We will likely use the bath house for showers as well (provided they are clean...so far haven't had any problems).
cykakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
We have no gray tank.
We have the 22 gal blue tank also riged to tow to the dump station. I have been thinking of changing out the wheels for the inflatable rubber tires you have to go very slow when pulling the blue tank and the wheels are starting to look rough.
With just the two of us it is not bad. I use the CG facilities most of the time and my wife uses the AS. I dump once a day or sometimes every other day. Black every two three days.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
So, I guess its doable.

Wifey likes to shower in the trailer and we have a 17 month old that momma baths in there as well. Just easier.

Me and the boy can use the campground showers.

Is it a messy job using the blue tank to dump the black water?

Seems like most like the 22 gal. So I guess that would be the way to go not too small and not too big....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

A full 22 gal tank will weigh something like 180 lbs. - about all any of us would want to push and pull around, even if you tow it for the most part.

The mess should be minimal, but sanitation is a bit harder. Harbor Freight puts disposible latex gloves on sale every now and again for less than $4.00 per 100, which solves the issues very cheaply.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Blue tank

Quote:
Seems like most like the 22 gal. So I guess that would be the way to go not too small and not too big....
Just remember that the tank when full will weigh close to 200 pounds. Make sure that you orient it so that you can make use of leverage to get it to the hitch.

I find my 10 gal tank is a hassle when full. It has wheels, but not the means to hitch it up. I used to make use of it to dump the recirculating toilet in my SOB TrailManor.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Gloves

Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
The mess should be minimal, but sanitation is a bit harder. Harbor Freight puts disposible latex gloves on sale every now and again for less than $4.00 per 100, which solves the issues very cheaply.

Mark
A very good point. A box of disposable gloves rides under my back seat and they go on as soon as I pull up to the dump station. or when I get ready to dump at a full hookup.

Take care also in removing the gloves. Turn them inside out, being very careful not to touch the outside.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Another source for latex and nitrile gloves is Gemplers
They have lots of other goodies too, like their "Rust Converter" which is similar to POR-15.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote