Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Night light

One of the first things I discovered about my new Classic was that during nightime bathroom visits, I had a choice betwen total darkness in the windowless area or of turning on two extremely bright flourescent lights. The flourescents totally destroy dark adaptation and insure that the user ends up wide awake. In my case, it also insures two wide awake cats.

I solved this by stopping by HD and buying an electroluminescent night light that plugs into the AC outlet in the bathroom. There is a slide switch on the light that controls brightness so that it can be left at a light level that makes it easy to get around and yet is dim enough to not disturn other occupants.

At maximum brightness, the light also eliminates the need to turn on the flourescents during the day. It has a photocell that turns it on whenever the door is closed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

What is your opinion of the windowless bathroom? We have the same bathroom layout, only with a window ('85). I am definitely of two minds about it, and have often wondered if it would not have been better left out entirely.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Window fer shure

If for no other reason, a window makes a convenient portal to pass a hose through to assist in cleaning the black tank.

I learned the hard way to leave an inch or two of fresh water in the black tank after dumping - my window is adjacent to the dump valve, so it's easy to pass the wash hose into the WC after cleaning the slinky.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
What is your opinion of the windowless bathroom? We have the same bathroom layout, only with a window ('85). I am definitely of two minds about it, and have often wondered if it would not have been better left out entirely.

Mark
I'll accept the lack of windows as a compromise. There is no place for much of a window without losing precious cabinet space.

I think that perhaps one of the little oval CCD windows might just fit between the Corian and the cabinet above. If fitted with frosted glass, that might make a lighter bathroom.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Doesn't your bathroom vent have a clear, or at least translucent cover? I don't understand why you'd need artificial light during the day.

We use the electroluminescent night lights all over our house. They're great.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I put a super bright LED in one of the bathroom light fixtures. A on-off-on rocker switch which is the same size as the original so I can use the flourescent lamp or the LED. The LED draws 20ma and lights the bathroom with a full moon type of light. It's just enought light needed when I expose my full moon.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote