Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , Oregon
Question newbie questions

I was looking for truck campers yesterday and just for kicks looked inside an AS. That was a mistake, because now I can't stop thinking about them. Forget the campers. The best ones (Northern-Lite and Bigfoot) are priced at 35 to 40k anyway. Looks like the AS's are a better value per square foot.

I brought home some AS brochures, but am a little confused by all the models. It would be helpful to have some sort of brief overview of the target audience or purpose of the models, ie, luxury, budget, etc.

Also, the dealer I visited only had three trailers. Is there a list of the largest dealers in the west with lots of inventory so I could browse and see what I like?

Thanks in advance!

Hope to join your ranks someday.
LeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
If you are talking about brand-new trailers, you have International, Classic, Safari, and Sport as option packages and trim levels. The Sport is available in 17' and 22' models, and are the lowest priced trailers Airstream currently offers. The other models are available in assorted lengths and widths.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Howdy and welcome to the forums! The AS models can be very confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. To expand on Terry's comment regarding current models...Safari is no longer as of 2009 (to make matters even more confusing)...what was the Safari SE (the old Safari package with the all aluminum interior) is now going to be called "Flying Cloud" resurrecting an old AS name. "Sports" will now be just "Sports" (in the first years they were "Safari Sports"). Within the International line you will find International CCDs (modern decor) and Seabreeze (beach motif). And don't forget the Bambis which are the 2 smallest trailers made...16' and 19'...and you'll find those in CCD, DRW (a specialty model, Design Within Reach) and Safari SE (now presumably called Flying Clouds). Classics are the high-end and have real wood cabinets and are overall heavier Airstreams. Now you're even more confused, yes?? Sorry...I'm confusing myself just talking about it!

Perhaps the best way to get a handle on the models in research mode is to go the www.airstream.com where you can look at floor plans and models, though I can guarantee you that you'll still have questions. You can probably also find dealers through that site that will have more models to look at.

Again, welcome and we all hope to see you down the road soon in your very own Airstream!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Which Airstream?

Two year ago we had the same situation. You will learn the models and note the differences. In a short time you will learn. And visiting this Forums you will learn a lot more.

Then if you decide to go Vintage....there are different questions and decisions.

You need to decide on how you are planning to use your Airstream.

How large? How many people? What comforts do you want? There is an Airstream for each and everyone.

Tell us more about your plans, how many traveling?

We first thought we would want a new and decided we should buy a Vintage and discover what we really wanted.

We were fortunate to find a Vintage,close to home and in good condition needing cosmetic and upgrading my husband wanted.

Sleeping arrangements are important. Consider if you want twin? Gaucho? Person in back of bed needs to crawl over other person.

There are many decisions you need to make. Tell us more and Forums members will give you more answers. A decision to own an Airstream is super. You will make many fine friends and memories. Welcome to Airstream. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
Is there a list of the largest dealers in the west with lots of inventory so I could browse and see what I like?
Don't know about a list.
I haven't visited many dealers as we bought our Airstream from a private party.

We did, however, have occasion to visit Southwest Coaches at Traveland in Orange County, CA.
6441 Burt Road (Lots 42 & 43)
Irvine, CA, 92618

That's a long way from Rogue River, OR, but if you get that way, it's worth a look. They stock a large selection of Airstreams. I'm sure there are other dealers like that, just don't know where.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
You need to decide on how you are planning to use your Airstream.

How large? How many people? What comforts do you want? There is an Airstream for each and everyone.

Tell us more about your plans, how many traveling?

We first thought we would want a new and decided we should buy a Vintage and discover what we really wanted.
Well, I don't have a well defined plan - just a general desire to get away from the 40 acres and work (computer) occasionally and see where the road goes. Guess I picture going to the coast or cross country for a few days or couple weeks at a time.

There's just my wife and me, maybe another rottweiler in the future, or a sister-in-law on fishing trips. I like Corian countertops and big showers/bathrooms (a little claustrophonic).

Am leaning new because they say the AS hold their value well. So I figure if I'm not getting much of a discount on older, might as well buy new. Theoretically less problems, though I've been reading some scary threads about new models too.

Thanks for any advice (and sorry if that was TMI - too much info).
Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Welcome. Short and sweet......

From what you're describing above... 27 ft Front Bed. this will give you the privacy you want from visitors who can sleep on the table conversion and roomy enough to hold 4 comfortably.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Langley , British Columbia
Hello, LT;
Welcome! TBRich has given you a decent outline on the various trim levels, and the best way to find a dealer is to go to Airstream, Inc :: Home and in the upper right corner of that page is a button "Find A Dealer". You can search by state, and find whichever dealers are closest to you. Fortunately, you have in Oregon one of the best, George Sutton. Click on his link in the Oregon dealer page (IIRC he is the only one in OR anyway, and he has a great list under 'travel trailers'. Click on a pic for larger ones and you can check out photos to get an idea of layouts and decors.
Have fun!
Neal
ps this is the first opportunity I've had to help someone else; I'm a newbie myself...
55neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
ME4US

2007 27' Classic FB
Bath , Maine
We are currently narrowing the search ourselves. The three that seem to meet the most needs are the 25, 27 & 28'. We like the Safari SE, now Flying Cloud. Clean lines, less older style detail, lighter (remember you need to tow this AS), nice layout options and should meet most people's needs from a few day to a few months. Keep in mind the value should you decide to sell. The mid sized units are more in demand than the ends of the market. Great time to by with the discounts on the 2008 and check our the barely used 2005-2007 units in your general area.

Good luck, best wishes and see you on the road
me4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
I was looking for truck campers yesterday and just for kicks looked inside an AS. That was a mistake, because now I can't stop thinking about them. Forget the campers. The best ones (Northern-Lite and Bigfoot) are priced at 35 to 40k anyway. Looks like the AS's are a better value per square foot.

I brought home some AS brochures, but am a little confused by all the models. It would be helpful to have some sort of brief overview of the target audience or purpose of the models, ie, luxury, budget, etc.

Also, the dealer I visited only had three trailers. Is there a list of the largest dealers in the west with lots of inventory so I could browse and see what I like?

Thanks in advance!

Hope to join your ranks someday.
I was in Spokane about a month ago on a business trip and noticed that the dealer there had several AS on their lot. Since they are right off of the freeway, I was unable to tell which models were in stock but it looked like they had a decent supply. It might be worth a call to see what they have. I was a bit surprised to see inventory in Spokane.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
ME4US

2007 27' Classic FB
Bath , Maine
We have finally selected our AS. A 2007 27' Classic loaded will be our traveling home for over 100 nights per year. We can't wait to get started. My wife is planning a dozen trips ranging from 3 days to 120+. We live in Maine and are interested in anyone's suggestions. So much to see and so little time.

See you all on the road.
me4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Hi and welcome!

I'm a newbie too - and the same thing happened to me. I went to look at some Class C's - I plan on full-timing alone with my dog, and there were several Airstreams at the dealers. Fell in love and have been able to think about almost nothing else since!

To help you figure out what will work for you, it might be useful to keep in mind how you are going to use it which helped me to determine what I need. How many people? Just weekends and vacations or more? Also your tow vehicle is a major factor - and there is a lot of info and discussion about that on the forum.

Checking out the dealer ads on line is an excellent way to see the different sizes and layouts. The best post all the info about what's on board and things like gross vehicle weight.

Have fun learning about A/S's and enjoy it - your trip has begun!

Louisa and Jasper Joy
Pudentane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by me4us View Post
We are currently narrowing the search ourselves. The three that seem to meet the most needs are the 25, 27 & 28'. We like the Safari SE, now Flying Cloud. Clean lines, less older style detail, lighter (remember you need to tow this AS), nice layout options and should meet most people's needs from a few day to a few months. Keep in mind the value should you decide to sell. The mid sized units are more in demand than the ends of the market. Great time to by with the discounts on the 2008 and check our the barely used 2005-2007 units in your general area.
After perusing the brochures, I've come to the same conclusion - the Safari in 25, 27 or 28' seems about the right size for us. The shorter ones have a narrower width, the longer ones need a bigger tow vehicle, and would have more problems fitting in to certain parks.

We're in the middle of remodeling the homestead here (contractors coming every day), so it will be awhile before I can 1) figure out how much money I have left and 2) get away to visit dealers.

Meanwhile I will keep an eye out for local used ads.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
You should attend an Airstream rally in your area if there is one and look at other Airstream Dealer websites such as Colonial to get an idea of sizes and layouts.

There is something about an Airstream (we all know) that attracts people. We were at a Christian music festival (Lifest) last week in Oshkosh WI. We had an idea camping spot near a lot of foot traffic and I can't believe how many people looked or commented about how much they liked our AS. Many asked to see the inside if they could.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
The good thing about an Airstream they do hold their value. We had a 59 Vintage trailer . We traded it in on a 2007 SE 25ft. FB . We love it . Some day we plan on getting a 27 ft FB and we can get out of the 25 what we have in it and move up with out loosing money . Not too many things you can say that about. They increase not decrease.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote