Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Newbie question

I'm a bit confused by the 3 name tags on my recently acquired 1960 26' trailer and hope someone can enlighten me. They are:
Land Yacht
Overlander
International

Why 3 model names? Is this unusual?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 06:45 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Naming

Based on my research and posts read on this list and others I will try to answer your question. To those who may know more pease pipe up.

The Land Yacht plate is on most of the 60"s and 70's Airstreams. It was used as a marketing method. The Overlander is the actual model name. If you look on sites like
http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/
they will list each year and the models desiginated by name. The name also was an desiginator of length in most cases. I have not looked at your online profile but I would bet money your trailer is a 27 ft model. The international name is also used thru the 60's and 70's but I do not know why. My best guess is that again it was a marketing tool, to say that you can travel to other countries because your trailer was designed to be used Internationally???

Hope this helps, and welcome the forum.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rog0525. They are all Land Yachts. Back then "Overlander" meant it's a 26 foot trailer. Ambassador was 28 foot, etc. International means it had some upgrades that the plain models, usually 24 foot and down didn't have.
Back then it was sort of simple. Todays name plates are confusing to most of us. Then we have the Limiteds, the Excella's, and the Bambi's.
I like the old system.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote