Old 06-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Water heater on 22 sport only runs on propane.

I think you should expect to have a hitch with sway control added. If you also do not have a break controller that will need to be added as well.

AC will not run unless you are plugged into shore power. Fantastic fan will run on battery. If you would be too hot without the windows open and no AC you will not want to layover in the trailer. Good news is that the windows on the sport open really easily for a quick stop.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Water heater on 22 sport only runs on propane.

I think you should expect to have a hitch with sway control added. If you also do not have a break controller that will need to be added as well.

AC will not run unless you are plugged into shore power. Fantastic fan will run on battery. If you would be too hot without the windows open and no AC you will not want to layover in the trailer. Good news is that the windows on the sport open really easily for a quick stop.
Great advice and thanks. I have a hitch already and will check local U-hall to add the sway control. Hope it's something easy to do.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Great advice and thanks. I have a hitch already and will check local U-hall to add the sway control. Hope it's something easy to do.

Do you have a weight-distribution hitch? You need a special hitch. Being new myself purchasing 7 months ago, I wasn't aware I needed a special hitch.

Dealer would not let me off lot unless I had brake controller and weight distribution hitch.

I installed brake controller myself. And I purchased the weight distribution hitch from them. It cost $700.

You can't just add away bars to an existing normal hitch.

Good luck, you will be an expert soon!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Oh but your refrigerator WILL run 3-way, so gas, or battery, or propane. We ran electric when plugged into power, propane when boon docking.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Do you have a weight-distribution hitch? You need a special hitch. Being new myself purchasing 7 months ago, I wasn't aware I needed a special hitch.

Dealer would not let me off lot unless I had brake controller and weight distribution hitch.

I installed brake controller myself. And I purchased the weight distribution hitch from them. It cost $700.

You can't just add away bars to an existing normal hitch.

Good luck, you will be an expert soon!
Thank you for the info.

Weight Distribution Hitch? Not sure it will apply to my Transit Van.
My Ford Transit Cargo Van has a factory installed tow package with brake controller. Is it the same as "Weight Distribution Hitch" you referred?

Currently I have a hitch extender. I assume the Sway Control is to be added to the AS hitch frame, right? Will AS installed it as an option? Or, I need to get it installed after the pickup from the dealer?

Sorry that I asked these questions if they sounds not very smart of me.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the stock Dometic refrigerators in both the 2015 23D International Serenity and the 2014 Classic with units from Vitrifigo in Italy (marine units) that use a 12Vdc DanFoss freon based compressor. They also come with a converter so we wired them to use shore power when hooked up to shore power or battery only when running the inverter. There is instant cooling and no fire hazard like from the ammonia based Dometic units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Thank you for the info.

Weight Distribution Hitch? Not sure it will apply to my Transit Van.
My Ford Transit Cargo Van has a factory installed tow package with brake controller. Is it the same as "Weight Distribution Hitch" you referred?

Currently I have a hitch extender. I assume the Sway Control is to be added to the AS hitch frame, right? Will AS installed it as an option? Or, I need to get it installed after the pickup from the dealer?

Sorry that I asked these questions if they sounds not very smart of me.
I recommend you google "equalizer hitch" and take a look at their Youtube videos. That will explain it better than any of us.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Playc, agree with piggy bank, several names of weight distribution hitchs are equalizer, blue ox, pro-pride, Hensley, and likely others. Or go to camping world and search weight distribution hitches.

Don't feel bad, I had no idea. But you will need one of these after market weight distribution hitches. Has nothing to do with the tow package on your van. Thx
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Playc - here's some helpful info about the job of a weight distribution hitch (WDH). Careful - some treat this issue with a near religious zeal - practically any major brand set up properly will serve you well. Good luck!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Used Maybe?

Have had both new and used RVs, both AS and SOB, you might want to expand your possibilities. While new trailers are enchanting(and smell good), in many cases they come with "issues", usually minor, but irritating all the same. Dealers are hit/miss insofar as warranty work. It always seems like something goes wrong when your far away from the dealer anyway. If this is your first AS, why not buy used to see if it works for you. If you later decide to buy a longer or shorter unit with a different floorplan, you will save on depreciation loss. I have seen very few, if any AS units abused, their owners lovingly care for them. If you buy a 2 or 3 year old model, it is usually squared away insofar as factory missteps/recalls, etc. Finally, new is nice, but new only lasts till the end of the current season, maybe even the dealership parking lot, then it's another used AS. Good Luck and safe travels!!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #123
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On simple utility trailers, hitch height does not matter a whole lot. You just grab a simple hitch and go. On something like an AS, things are quite a bit different. Hitch height matters a lot. You go with a very different hitch system that allows the height to be adjusted on the spot. Indeed, if you happen to have a 500 lb torque wrench handy, you can adjust one of these yourself.

Most people puling an AS opt for a weight distributing hitch. Some tow vehicles do not require them (my F-250 does not). Most vehicles that are below the "250/2500" category do need them to get to full tow capacity. You can install one yourself. If you do, plan on spending at least a day fiddling with this and that. Also plan on doing it on a dead flat area.

Brake controllers are something you never see with lightweight trailers (they don't have brakes). On something as heavy as an AS, one is mandatory. No dealer in his right mind would let you off the lot unless you have one hooked up and working. They allow your trailer brakes and TV brakes to work properly together. Without the trailer brakes, your TV simply can't stop the combined weight in any sort of rational distance.

Best by far if this is your first AS - spend the money and let the dealer put a proper hitch on. Watch what he does. Use the hitch for this AS. Do the from scratch hitch install on your *next* setup.

Bob
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

On simple utility trailers, hitch height does not matter a whole lot. You just grab a simple hitch and go. On something like an AS, things are quite a bit different. Hitch height matters a lot. You go with a very different hitch system that allows the height to be adjusted on the spot. Indeed, if you happen to have a 500 lb torque wrench handy, you can adjust one of these yourself.

Most people puling an AS opt for a weight distributing hitch. Some tow vehicles do not require them (my F-250 does not). Most vehicles that are below the "250/2500" category do need them to get to full tow capacity. You can install one yourself. If you do, plan on spending at least a day fiddling with this and that. Also plan on doing it on a dead flat area.

Brake controllers are something you never see with lightweight trailers (they don't have brakes). On something as heavy as an AS, one is mandatory. No dealer in his right mind would let you off the lot unless you have one hooked up and working. They allow your trailer brakes and TV brakes to work properly together. Without the trailer brakes, your TV simply can't stop the combined weight in any sort of rational distance.

Best by far if this is your first AS - spend the money and let the dealer put a proper hitch on. Watch what he does. Use the hitch for this AS. Do the from scratch hitch install on your *next* setup.

Bob
Hi Bob - Thank you for the advice.

My Ford Transit 150 Van has built in tow package with Brake controller. The Van is rated to tow up tp 5,500lb. The 22FB GVWR is 4,500lb.

Per your advice, I plan to have the dealer to install the Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control Trailer Hitch (https://www.equalizerhitch.com/).

Safety is most important to me. Will the above Equalizer setup be adequate?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

Yes. The equalizer works well. As others said there are many. The equalizer happened to be what my dealer sold, it's what we had to buy.

It works well and should work well for your application. I tow a 23D with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It tows great and as you said PlayC, it's safe!

Good luck. It can seem like a lot at first, all the info you don't know, but it come quick and folks on this site really help.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #126
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

Same here. We bought an Equal-i-zer hitch because that is what our dealer sold at the time. Overall we have been quite satisfied with its performance. There are a few "tricks of the trade" to help that hitch perform quietly that you will want to investigate. Add a pair of "sway bracket jackets" and grease the pivot points in the hitch head where the bars insert. Periodically, disassemble the pivot points in the hitch head, clean them grease them, and re-assemble. This is easier done than said. Also, you should have a torque wrench anyway to ensure your trailer's lug nuts are properly tightened. Use that same torque wrench to properly tighten the pivot points in the head. Correct values are documented in the manual, I believe. Easy simple stuff, helps guarantee many miles of happy towing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote