Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Playc - here's some helpful info about the job of a weight distribution hitch (WDH). Careful - some treat this issue with a near religious zeal - practically any major brand set up properly will serve you well. Good luck!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Used Maybe?

Have had both new and used RVs, both AS and SOB, you might want to expand your possibilities. While new trailers are enchanting(and smell good), in many cases they come with "issues", usually minor, but irritating all the same. Dealers are hit/miss insofar as warranty work. It always seems like something goes wrong when your far away from the dealer anyway. If this is your first AS, why not buy used to see if it works for you. If you later decide to buy a longer or shorter unit with a different floorplan, you will save on depreciation loss. I have seen very few, if any AS units abused, their owners lovingly care for them. If you buy a 2 or 3 year old model, it is usually squared away insofar as factory missteps/recalls, etc. Finally, new is nice, but new only lasts till the end of the current season, maybe even the dealership parking lot, then it's another used AS. Good Luck and safe travels!!
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #123
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On simple utility trailers, hitch height does not matter a whole lot. You just grab a simple hitch and go. On something like an AS, things are quite a bit different. Hitch height matters a lot. You go with a very different hitch system that allows the height to be adjusted on the spot. Indeed, if you happen to have a 500 lb torque wrench handy, you can adjust one of these yourself.

Most people puling an AS opt for a weight distributing hitch. Some tow vehicles do not require them (my F-250 does not). Most vehicles that are below the "250/2500" category do need them to get to full tow capacity. You can install one yourself. If you do, plan on spending at least a day fiddling with this and that. Also plan on doing it on a dead flat area.

Brake controllers are something you never see with lightweight trailers (they don't have brakes). On something as heavy as an AS, one is mandatory. No dealer in his right mind would let you off the lot unless you have one hooked up and working. They allow your trailer brakes and TV brakes to work properly together. Without the trailer brakes, your TV simply can't stop the combined weight in any sort of rational distance.

Best by far if this is your first AS - spend the money and let the dealer put a proper hitch on. Watch what he does. Use the hitch for this AS. Do the from scratch hitch install on your *next* setup.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

On simple utility trailers, hitch height does not matter a whole lot. You just grab a simple hitch and go. On something like an AS, things are quite a bit different. Hitch height matters a lot. You go with a very different hitch system that allows the height to be adjusted on the spot. Indeed, if you happen to have a 500 lb torque wrench handy, you can adjust one of these yourself.

Most people puling an AS opt for a weight distributing hitch. Some tow vehicles do not require them (my F-250 does not). Most vehicles that are below the "250/2500" category do need them to get to full tow capacity. You can install one yourself. If you do, plan on spending at least a day fiddling with this and that. Also plan on doing it on a dead flat area.

Brake controllers are something you never see with lightweight trailers (they don't have brakes). On something as heavy as an AS, one is mandatory. No dealer in his right mind would let you off the lot unless you have one hooked up and working. They allow your trailer brakes and TV brakes to work properly together. Without the trailer brakes, your TV simply can't stop the combined weight in any sort of rational distance.

Best by far if this is your first AS - spend the money and let the dealer put a proper hitch on. Watch what he does. Use the hitch for this AS. Do the from scratch hitch install on your *next* setup.

Bob
Hi Bob - Thank you for the advice.

My Ford Transit 150 Van has built in tow package with Brake controller. The Van is rated to tow up tp 5,500lb. The 22FB GVWR is 4,500lb.

Per your advice, I plan to have the dealer to install the Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control Trailer Hitch (https://www.equalizerhitch.com/).

Safety is most important to me. Will the above Equalizer setup be adequate?
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

Yes. The equalizer works well. As others said there are many. The equalizer happened to be what my dealer sold, it's what we had to buy.

It works well and should work well for your application. I tow a 23D with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It tows great and as you said PlayC, it's safe!

Good luck. It can seem like a lot at first, all the info you don't know, but it come quick and folks on this site really help.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #126
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

Same here. We bought an Equal-i-zer hitch because that is what our dealer sold at the time. Overall we have been quite satisfied with its performance. There are a few "tricks of the trade" to help that hitch perform quietly that you will want to investigate. Add a pair of "sway bracket jackets" and grease the pivot points in the hitch head where the bars insert. Periodically, disassemble the pivot points in the hitch head, clean them grease them, and re-assemble. This is easier done than said. Also, you should have a torque wrench anyway to ensure your trailer's lug nuts are properly tightened. Use that same torque wrench to properly tighten the pivot points in the head. Correct values are documented in the manual, I believe. Easy simple stuff, helps guarantee many miles of happy towing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
A comment on storage

We stored our 25 at the house for several months, but we live close to the ocean and wanted to preserve the exterior as the previous owner had by storing inside, so we moved it to a indoor storage facility about 20 miles away. We leave packaged dry and canned foods on board, usually in plastic tubs or bags, or things like flour and sugar in canisters. The only critter problems we have had were ants, and they were picked up while camping. The facility has a couple of outside spaces with shore power, so on a few occasions we have packed stuff, taken it to the facility, and loaded the trailer one afternoon when we could hook up air conditioning. We then went home and came back early the next morning to depart. Returns in reverse, obviously.

But we prefer to go pick up the trailer and bring it to the house for loading and come to the house first for unloading and any necessary maintenance before going back to storage. We have 30A shore power available so we can fire up the fridge, run the AC, whatever we need while loading/unloading.

I'd say get the trailer you want without letting the garage restrict your choices unless budget is a major constraint. I'd also second the recommendation to find a used trailer similar to the one you want, inspect it very well before buying with inspector assistance from the list on here. That way someone else takes the depreciation hit for at least your trial trailer and not two if you decide you need to trade up or down.

We have purchased two used trailers (a 2001 and a 2002), one from a dealer, and one from a private individual. In both cases we had less problems than reported by some on here who purchased new. We have the older interior designs, but we are old so we like them. . Missy has decorated up with accessories and we have been truly happy with both trailers but the 25 was a little small for us, not having a dinette or sofa, just recliners installed by Jackson Center for the original owner.

I towed the 25 for two years with my F-150 and then the 30 Slide (9,100#) with my 2500 with an Equalizer and had no noticeable sway issues with either. The Equalizer should be a fine choice for you.

Good luck with your search!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Ready to buy now ... should I add any of these extras?

from the Dealer ...

A Premium High Grade Extended Warranty Plan Designed For Your Specific Purchase
Special Fabric, Leather & Carpet Protection Treatment
And a Road Hazard Tire Protection Plan

TIA
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Fluff that is basically all profit for the selling dealer. Warranty may only be recognized at that specific dealership. Many third party warranty companies disappear every two or three years so not too many claims get paid.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
sent you private email yesterday....did you see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
from the Dealer ...

A Premium High Grade Extended Warranty Plan Designed For Your Specific Purchase
Special Fabric, Leather & Carpet Protection Treatment
And a Road Hazard Tire Protection Plan

TIA
PlayC- there is a 2018 22 Sport in Buda now...I sent you email yesterday on this...you might go take a look at the new one again, and also see if you can convince the sales manager or Mark help you convince him, to give same price as FL dealer...worth a try, plus you can see new unit.

As for warranty and extras they want to sell you....I say no; the standard factory warranty will cover most your items anyway, and you will know pretty quick if there are any issues...most of the new units show obvious issues with equipment failures or flaws to the new owners pretty quickly when using. We have not had any issues in last 2 new units other than battery on 2014 model. I am not a fan of spending money on a warranty for an AS...but that's just me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
PlayC- there is a 2018 22 Sport in Buda now...I sent you email yesterday on this...you might go take a look at the new one again, and also see if you can convince the sales manager or Mark help you convince him, to give same price as FL dealer...worth a try, plus you can see new unit.

As for warranty and extras they want to sell you....I say no; the standard factory warranty will cover most your items anyway, and you will know pretty quick if there are any issues...most of the new units show obvious issues with equipment failures or flaws to the new owners pretty quickly when using. We have not had any issues in last 2 new units other than battery on 2014 model. I am not a fan of spending money on a warranty for an AS...but that's just me.
Hi gypsydad - thanks for the message. By the time I received, I already put 5% down on a 23FB that I believe it's a good deal. The local AS sales was very helpful and got me the VIN which build start 8/1. And reassured warranty can be service nation wide.

Will follow you and others advice not to get any additional warranty. Will ask dealer to install the Equalizer hitch and Sway control as they are also the dealer for EH.

If all goes per plan, my wife will drive late August for pickup and camp with the new AS at Pensacola beach the Laborday week.

Big thanks again and hope to meet you all on road or campgrounds.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
23 vs 22 Sport?

Quote:
Hi gypsydad - thanks for the message. By the time I received, I already put 5% down on a 23FB that I believe it's a good deal. The local AS sales was very helpful and got me the VIN which build start 8/1. And reassured warranty can be service nation wide.

Will follow you and others advice not to get any additional warranty. Will ask dealer to install the Equalizer hitch and Sway control as they are also the dealer for EH.

If all goes per plan, my wife will drive late August for pickup and camp with the new AS at Pensacola beach the Laborday week.

Hi PlayC- Congratulations! But, why the surprise change to the 23D vs the 22 Sport? I do like the 23D model better, of course, but I thought your goal was getting the unit into your garage? Curious about your storage plans now.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Hi PlayC- Congratulations! But, why the surprise change to the 23D vs the 22 Sport? I do like the 23D model better, of course, but I thought your goal was getting the unit into your garage? Curious about your storage plans now.
Hi gypsydad - Be able to store inside my garage is very important to me (at least such is the case for my new (2 years) RVing and into the future. For 2 primary reasons - 1) not to incur a monthly storage fee, and most importantly 2) be able to go any moment and always ready and enjoy it even in my own garage and driveay.

The height came to be the major factor -22FB max height is 9'3" yet 23D is 9'9". While my door is 10', the actual opening is 9'9" which is too close.

I did walk inside a 22FB and found it should be big enough for my wife and me. My Ford Transit mid roof long wheel base has plenty room for all camp gear, Kayak, and bicycle. So we plan only to load FB with food, drink, personal essentials. Your advice will be greatly appreciated on such matter.

Talked with the Dealer in Florida and they will install the Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control and Hitch height is adustable for $880. This has resolved my concern over the right hitch height. And hope with the add-on the Safety issue is addressed to its best - (now not to tow at speed over 62).

Again, very excited about the new AS. Won't be able to get this point without you and other forum folks great feedback and advices. A Texas style Big Thanks to you all.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #134
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Hi gypsydad - Be able to store inside my garage is very important to me (at least such is the case for my new (2 years) RVing and into the future. For 2 primary reasons - 1) not to incur a monthly storage fee, and most importantly 2) be able to go any moment and always ready and enjoy it even in my own garage and driveay.

The height came to be the major factor -22FB max height is 9'3" yet 23D is 9'9". While my door is 10', the actual opening is 9'9" which is too close.

I did walk inside a 22FB and found it should be big enough for my wife and me. My Ford Transit mid roof long wheel base has plenty room for all camp gear, Kayak, and bicycle. So we plan only to load FB with food, drink, personal essentials. Your advice will be greatly appreciated on such matter.

Talked with the Dealer in Florida and they will install the Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control and Hitch height is adustable for $880. This has resolved my concern over the right hitch height. And hope with the add-on the Safety issue is addressed to its best - (now not to tow at speed over 62).

Again, very excited about the new AS. Won't be able to get this point without you and other forum folks great feedback and advices.

A Texas style Big Thanks to you all.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
what??

Quote:

PlayC- you confuse; note you say above, "...I already put 5% down on a 23D..."; now you say you are getting a 22 Sport? Sounds like you did get something.. Good for you!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #136
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Take a close look at your garage door. There are a number of ways to install them and frame them in. The "low point" on one will not always be the low point on another. In some cases you can "tweak" the door to get an extra couple of inches. In my case the door wold open a bit further with an electric opener than without one.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #137
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
PlayC- you confuse; note you say above, "...I already put 5% down on a 23D..."; now you say you are getting a 22 Sport? Sounds like you did get something.. Good for you!
So sorry - typo and should be 22FB
Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
wow....??? still confused...what did you purchase?

Quote:
So sorry - typo and should be 22FB
Still confused...They don't make a 22FB; they make a 22 Sport, a 23D, and a 23FB...maybe you mean 22 Sport which was your original choice??
Old 06-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #139
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Montpelier , Vermont
Actually, they do make a 22FB - according to the Airstream website.
danic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	287992