Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
Before you drive 1200 miles make sure you have the exact trailer and price documented. Some places, like the one in Austin, list a price but then have a mandatory prep fee they add on that is not in the price. Before we drove up to Dublin, Tx we had everything in writing. And it was less than 200 miles from Houston. And make sure you understand the whole sales/use tax and out of state registration issues, that could be done hidden costs you need to factor in.

We were in your same situation; pretty much decided on the sport 22. But then we saw all the additional stuff (storage cabinets, inverter, larger fridge, bed that was easier to make since it was a "walk around") that the FC 23FB offered. So we spent a little more up front and expect to keep it much longer before a possible upgrade than we would have with the sport. And the second axle gives me a little extra margin of safety in case of a tie failure.

Wanted a 25 foot model and we probably would have been done, but the tongue weights were too high for my Touareg. So once dieselgate settles out we might look for a truck, if for no other reason than the ability to haul stuff on the bed. Don't want a generator in the Touareg. But it tows great and I average around 16 mpg when towing.

Good luck on your quest, it will be the first of hopefully many adventures in your Airstream.
Great advice on having price documented and we will ask for a proposal with their AS order info and data for the exact one. (as the build and ETA Florida is in August.) I will check the Dublin TX RV if they have 2018 22FB and if the price is as competitive as Florida. Do you have a contact there you would recommend?

The model choice is due to the limitation of my 10' Garage opening (actually it is 9'9"to be exact. The 22FB per measurements on height at 9'3" is the largest that can fit per our limited research
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #82
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Maybe also get them to give you the VIN for the trailer they intend to sell you. With that you might he able to check with the mothership to see what model it is and how it was equipped from the factory.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Maybe also get them to give you the VIN for the trailer they intend to sell you. With that you might he able to check with the mothership to see what model it is and how it was equipped from the factory.
Great advice on VIN. Not sure if it is avail yet as the delivery date is mid August. They want $2,000 deposit now. I will tell them to get me a proposal with VIN then will provide CC for the deposit. Is this the right way to do?

Thanks again
Old 06-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
When I purchased mine 6 months ago, had a contract with price and accessories.

Factory knew my rig, and gave me updates as it was built. Dealer told me approximate time, then I sent email to factory and a nice man sent me an email update with week of build.

I didn't harass him but then contacted him the week of the build and he told me it was on the line. Sent me an email when it was done, and a week later dealer called to arrange pickup. They know a lot more than we think. Just ask.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #85

Newbie plan to buy 2018 International

VIN was just an idea on our part, but if it helps you out, we're pleased.

We wish you the very best, but we would not be likely to drive 1200 miles to buy a new trailer. Too many things were wrong with the first new one we bought. We want our dealer close by so we can look them in the eye. [emoji6]

Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #86
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
You can call Steve at Bayer RV in Dublin, 254-445-4807. Or email from the link on their web page. And go see the old bottling plant in town, it's cool.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
You can call Steve at Bayer RV in Dublin, 254-445-4807. Or email from the link on their web page. And go see the old bottling plant in town, it's cool.
It seems also difficult to find our specific model - 2018 22FB with factory installed rear view camera in Texas. We are ready to purchase if the price is right.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #88
potential full-timer

Currently Looking...
Carolinas , Carolinas
The only thing I can say is, do whatever you have to do to see as many models as possible in person. We did plenty of online stalking, but there is nothing like seeing these live. Shop it--hard--in person. The best advice we got from everyone here was to really spend some time in them, and it was true! YouTube doesn't cut it. Go, touch, sit, see. Good luck!
RadioWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #89
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When we bought the trailer I'm sitting here picking up, the entire price was written up with all the details long before any money changed hands. The full delivered price was clearly spelled out as were all the specs on the AS. Now that the process is done (as of 3 hours ago), indeed there were *zero* surprises. Everything was done exactly as promised up front.

It's pretty warm in New Jersey today ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Hello, I didn't read every response here but did see several recommends for dealers and that you're willing to drive to get what you want...so I'll plug our dealer...Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. They're the oldest continually operated dealership in the world. Established in early '60s. They have a reasonable inventory, extremely competent 'lifers' in their service dept. Gave us a clean 20% off and we had a marvelous experience with them. They also have IMO the best 'shakedown' in the business. They addressed every detail before delivery and we've been out rolling along for several months now without a single issue...sorry if I missed the boat on this and we're new to Airstream too so if our dealer has been crossed off by others, were not aware of it.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
Hello, I didn't read every response here but did see several recommends for dealers and that you're willing to drive to get what you want...so I'll plug our dealer...Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. They're the oldest continually operated dealership in the world. Established in early '60s. They have a reasonable inventory, extremely competent 'lifers' in their service dept. Gave us a clean 20% off and we had a marvelous experience with them. They also have IMO the best 'shakedown' in the business. They addressed every detail before delivery and we've been out rolling along for several months now without a single issue...sorry if I missed the boat on this and we're new to Airstream too so if our dealer has been crossed off by others, were not aware of it.
Thank you for the dealer info. I will call in the morning. Did you drive from AZ to NC for your new AS?

Do you have a contact and can I quote you as referral?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
No, we live in NC. We drove hours to get our first camper, an Aliner, cause not many places carry those either. We didn't want to do it again when we upgraded so decided to go AS seeing as these guys were so close. We dealt with Mike Otay. Refer away.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
for best deal on "New", you may have to leave TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Thank you for the dealer info. I will call in the morning. Did you drive from AZ to NC for your new AS?

Do you have a contact and can I quote you as referral?
Hi PlayC- we spoke a few weeks ago when I was in Austin. I would advise if your set on "new", you will likely have to leave TX. The Sport models are the "entry point" for AS, and they do not have all the features of the general lineup; ie- no rock guards, no bumpers, air conditioner is not on thermostat with heater, as an example. They are great units, but the price is also very low compared to the regular line up for that size. I would guide you to calling the FL dealer I mentioned in my earlier post and ask for his best price. Take it to the Buda guy (Mark) and see if they will match. If not, Tampa or Orlando facility in FL is only 1200-1300 mile drive, plus you can camp on the way home!

As for warranty, most all AS dealers will honor the warranty, but you may have to wait in line to get it serviced. I have not purchased an extended warranty, for reasons others have mentioned. Really, aside from leaks, most system components can be fixed or replaced by several sources, and the help on this Forum provides a good support network for most common issues. I bought in CA last time, and serviced it in Buda, as an example. The service depts. are typically their own cost center, so independent from sales. When buying new, your sales folks can work with the service folks usually get things done quicker, but most things happen after you purchase and are on the road, so the closest dealer is where you likely will go when traveling. "If" you make sure you tell your sales contact you want a "thorough" systems check, prior to arriving because you have to drive back to TX; ask him to make sure they run through all the systems, prior to arriving, likely most everything will be working and you will likely be fine on your drive home. We just went through this with the Portland dealer we purchased our new 28' with last week. I can't speak for the FL dealer, but I watched the "prep" work they preformed on other new units being ready for delivery, and I was impressed with how they ran systems, even took them through a washing system to check for leaks. Our walkthrough went very well. I know most of the dealers like FL, are doing their best to have good reputation so they don't get dinged on the Forum!

Just remember, your not alone in your concerns...many of us have done this a few times....jump in and join the fun!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Just passing along info...a fellow AS owner stopped by this morning and related their experience in VA. They were looking and stopped into our dealers place while traveling in NC but then returned home to VA & bought closer to home in Fredricksburg. They said it was a big mistake, had a bad experience & wished they'd bought in NC. And, if you're driving to FL, you'll find the NC dealer right next to I-40...you can see the inventory from the highway...worth a stop for comparisons if that's your route...good luck!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
No, we live in NC.
I think what was confusing is you have High Point, Arizona on your displayed profile. I assume you meant High Point, North Carolina.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Sorry...no idea how AZ got there but NC is where we are...thanks for pointing that out!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hi PlayC- we spoke a few weeks ago when I was in Austin. I would advise if your set on "new", you will likely have to leave TX. The Sport models are the "entry point" for AS, and they do not have all the features of the general lineup; ie- no rock guards, no bumpers, air conditioner is not on thermostat with heater, as an example. They are great units, but the price is also very low compared to the regular line up for that size. I would guide you to calling the FL dealer I mentioned in my earlier post and ask for his best price. Take it to the Buda guy (Mark) and see if they will match. If not, Tampa or Orlando facility in FL is only 1200-1300 mile drive, plus you can camp on the way home!

As for warranty, most all AS dealers will honor the warranty, but you may have to wait in line to get it serviced. I have not purchased an extended warranty, for reasons others have mentioned. Really, aside from leaks, most system components can be fixed or replaced by several sources, and the help on this Forum provides a good support network for most common issues. I bought in CA last time, and serviced it in Buda, as an example. The service depts. are typically their own cost center, so independent from sales. When buying new, your sales folks can work with the service folks usually get things done quicker, but most things happen after you purchase and are on the road, so the closest dealer is where you likely will go when traveling. "If" you make sure you tell your sales contact you want a "thorough" systems check, prior to arriving because you have to drive back to TX; ask him to make sure they run through all the systems, prior to arriving, likely most everything will be working and you will likely be fine on your drive home. We just went through this with the Portland dealer we purchased our new 28' with last week. I can't speak for the FL dealer, but I watched the "prep" work they preformed on other new units being ready for delivery, and I was impressed with how they ran systems, even took them through a washing system to check for leaks. Our walkthrough went very well. I know most of the dealers like FL, are doing their best to have good reputation so they don't get dinged on the Forum!

Just remember, your not alone in your concerns...many of us have done this a few times....jump in and join the fun!
Hi, very glad to hear from you, and hope all is well and you have accomplished everything per your travel plan.

While I would like to get the International version, the spec and the measurement of height to my garage come very close. So Sport 22FB is the best bet.

Still plan to go to FL for the significant pricing deal, decision to be made in 2 weeks.

It's folks like you that make the difference, esp., to folk like me new to camping at retirement age. Already benefit from reading the forum and there's still so much to learn. Hope to see you and all AS campers on road to chat, have coffee, wine or beer, and have best fun.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
another thought: think outside the "box" (your garage) :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Hi, very glad to hear from you, and hope all is well and you have accomplished everything per your travel plan.

While I would like to get the International version, the spec and the measurement of height to my garage come very close. So Sport 22FB is the best bet.

Still plan to go to FL for the significant pricing deal, decision to be made in 2 weeks.

It's folks like you that make the difference, esp., to folk like me new to camping at retirement age. Already benefit from reading the forum and there's still so much to learn. Hope to see you and all AS campers on road to chat, have coffee, wine or beer, and have best fun.
PlayC- thanks for the kind words! Another option you may consider if you really think you would like an International model, perhaps a 23' International, for example, would be to check into RV storage lots in your area. Not as convenient as home, but many folks do this. Prices vary for covered vs non-covered, but if you spend some time looking and talking to neighbors who have RV's, this may work for you. I stored my 25' for 3 years at a site 5 miles away from my home, while we were living in San Diego. Once you have all your cloths, toiletries, bedding, and dry food in your AS, you typically do not have to load/unload that stuff again, except when changing sheets and dirty cloths. When you start your trip, you load up your fresh groceries for your trip and head to your unit; when you return, you take your dirty laundry home along with perishables, and your set for next trip. This is pretty quick and easy. Just a thought!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Once you have all your cloths, toiletries, bedding, and dry food in your AS, you typically do not have to load/unload that stuff again, except when changing sheets and dirty clothes.
Overall, great advice. However, we do not leave dry food in the trailer while it is in storage (except maybe canned food). Our theory is that it could draw rodents into the trailer, and we don't want that!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #100
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Overall, great advice. However, we do not leave dry food in the trailer while it is in storage (except maybe canned food). Our theory is that it could draw rodents into the trailer, and we don't want that!
Hi

.... or keep the dry stuff in metal tins.

A variation on this is a "storage box" ( possibly fiberglass) to store it all in. You transfer inside the trailer rather than lug things out from the house. The empty bin goes back and forth. It's always seemed like a pain to me ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote