Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Hillier Prince Edward , ON
Newbie needs advice on mice

Hello,
I just bought a 30' 2005 RB Classic. I'm going to my place in Mexico this winter so I'm going to leave the trailer at my place in Canada that has lots of mice. I am worried that the mice are going to get in there and chew everything up including the wires for my solar system that I plan to leave on to keep my batteries charged up. I thought the trailer was totally sealed at the bottom but the dealer said not to count on that. So, does anybody out there have any suggestions for mouse proofing the trailer? The dealer recommended spraying the bottom with the same kind of material people up here use for rustproofing their cars but the dealer wouldn't guarantee it because of the age of the trailer.
Thanks for your hep.

Robert
Robert1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
I’ve seen a full timing couple on YouTube who keeps solar powered lights on overnight underneath the AS as a deterrent. Maybe you could set up a timer for some lights?
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You should assume that lots of mice will get in, and set traps, etc. which a caretaker/friend can tend. Having an expectation that you can mouse-proof the AS is a recipe for disappointment IMO.

Kind of a first world problem IMO leaving a new RV at home while you go to Mexico for the winter?

PS — Lights under the AS will invite mice to invade your trailer IMO. They are drawn to heat sources when the temps go down.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I use peppermint oil on cotton balls and Bounce dryer sheets. Both in all inside and out. All cabinets wheel wells and any points of contact with the ground.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS --

The new search function above in the blue box works very well. Here are the results for "mice" which will cull out various threads and posts about mice:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mice...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1944 View Post
Hello,
I just bought a 30' 2005 RB Classic. I'm going to my place in Mexico this winter so I'm going to leave the trailer at my place in Canada that has lots of mice. I am worried that the mice are going to get in there and chew everything up including the wires for my solar system that I plan to leave on to keep my batteries charged up. I thought the trailer was totally sealed at the bottom but the dealer said not to count on that. So, does anybody out there have any suggestions for mouse proofing the trailer? The dealer recommended spraying the bottom with the same kind of material people up here use for rustproofing their cars but the dealer wouldn't guarantee it because of the age of the trailer.
Thanks for your hep.

Robert
If you have a power source, I suggest using Victor Rodent Repeller.
I have been using them for at least 20 years. I put two of the mini size in each trailer, one at each end. Since I began using them I have not seen evidence of a mouse inside of my trailers. My Safari is parked 10' from the woods in my backyard, about 7 miles from town. My Excella is parked in FL. There are plenty of mice, but they seem to avoid my trailers.

I would not use the undercoating, bad advice IMO. If you are going to Mexico during winter, you will not be driving on the salted roadways.