Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Cosmic Sniper
Newbie looking at Vintage AS

I've enjoyed reading the archives here, but now I need some help.

I came close to purchasing a new 25' Safari 6 sleeper today, but I decided at the last minute to explore older options first. Being a newbie, I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. What I do know is that I love Airstreams and will always have one. I know all the towing "rules" and stuff, but I don't have a great feel for the value of some of the vintage Airstream models.

I saw a classified today for a 1973 Airstream 29' Ambassador. The owner sent me pictures and it looks almost like new, inside and out. He says everything works in it. But the ad has been posted for three weeks and nobody has snapped it up for his $5,000 asking price. I'm wondering what could be keeping this from being sold? This Airstream is probably around 3 hours from me, so it wouldn't hurt me to check it out before dishing out the cash, but I'm curious to know if this model has some reputation that might keep the price low?

My towing vehicle is a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.7L Vortec and 3.73 rear axle. I realize that a 29er is a stretch (which is why I was looking at new 25ers), but I'm not married to upgrading my TV.

Thank you...any advice is greatly appreciated.

jay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up First off...Welcome to the Forums!

You may want to check out the website below for some pricing guidelines and suggestions on what to ask & look for with vintage trailers...

Price vs Condition

With the longer '70s trailers the 'biggie' to keep an eye out for is rear end separation or droop. If you do a search of the forum you'll find lots of discussions on the problem & solutions.

Good luck with your quest for the 'perfect for you' Airstream!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think there's a lot more of the big trailers available, and so their prices tend to be a little lower. I've seen many of them in the $3500 range around here. I've never gone to look at one though, because that's too big for me. My only compaint with the 70s models is asthetic - plasticy fake wood veneers, tambour doors, obnoxious countertops, and shag carpeting to go with the 70s uphostery. But I'm sure they're not all as bad as the few I've looked at, and much of that could be improved.

I think looking at any airstream within driving distance will help you ultimately decide what to choose. You learn something everytime you look at one, whether you want to buy it or not. Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Jay, welcome!. The link listed above is a good one. I used it when buying my vintage and it helped. There's alot of different sizes, years and conditions with potential hidden costs for the vintage ones. At the same time they can be fun, certainly have the "cool factor". I see you're in Texas. I'm in the Ft. Worth area and will be selling my 1967 24' Airstream in August (after returning from the Vintage rally). You can email me for details and then if you're interested you can take a look as well.
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
Cosmic Sniper

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I've read the price vs. condition link...good stuff. I realize that shorter trailers will be more expensive and that some of the longer 70s trailers can "droop" in the rear. That link also mentioned that 1970s trailers tend to be in a state of elegant decline, where they are still quite original but don't really need to be restored. I can see how that would affect the price.

I'll try to contact the owner of the '73 Ambassador to set up a tour.

Tin Hut: I live about 25 miles from you. Yeah, I'd love to see your '67 Tradewind. If you don't mind, feel free to email me with details at

Thanks again,

jay52 is offline   Reply With Quote