Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Would not take generator. It's something that can be stolen. Low likelihood of an emergency where you would need it. Use the coach as a tent if power fails. Might take a small ice chest, some bottled water, bread and peanut butter.
Lean and light, I like it.

Quote:
Interesting that we stay in a lot of KOAs and have never stayed in those. So, only a general comment. KOAs are often close to the highway. If noise stops you from sleeping, give it a thought. Also, staying in a park on the far side of a city lets you start the next day of driving in a counter commute condition. Kind of depends how you want to play commute traffic, both coming and going.
Yes, was thinking either I bring ear plugs or go to CGs a bit further out.

Quote:
Note, there is a Camping World on the West side of Albuquerque. Next door there is a CG and on the other side of I40 there are two more CGs. One is the American CG, which is similar to a KOA. We stayed there prior and will again. It is interestingly quiet for being so close to I40. Odd but either true, or we were really tired. Pat
Are these CGs Good Sam related? Would appreciate specific names of the CGs that you liked staying at. Thanks Pat. Lu

Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces is an excellent option. They groomed every space after each departure. We liked it so much in our one-night stay in January from Orange County to Big Bend NP that we stayed an extra night on our return trip.

You may want to unhook to have a delicious dinner a mile or so away at La Posta de Mesilla in old town Mesilla.

Nearby is a large RV dealership in case you need anything.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces is an excellent option. They groomed every space after each departure. We liked it so much in our one-night stay in January from Orange County to Big Bend NP that we stayed an extra night on our return trip.

You may want to unhook to have a delicious dinner a mile or so away at La Posta de Mesilla in old town Mesilla.

Nearby is a large RV dealership in case you need anything.
Super helpful, thanks WestieHouse! Do they have pull thru sites or only back in?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by luforia View Post
Super helpful, thanks WestieHouse! Do they have pull thru sites or only back in?
Most, if not all, all were pull through. Very spacious camp sites with good privacy and quiet. Lots of amenities, like pool, hot tub, game room, laundry, private bath/shower, etc. This is a good place to "recharge". Not a wilderness experience, though. But very convenient to services and local attractions.

We enjoyed our drive on I-8 to I-5.

Have a great maiden voyage!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Quote:
Just ordered Voyager WVOS541 on Amazon, $466.

I really hope I don't get myself into such a situation. I am thinking keeping the trip simple...drive, get gas, and park at KOA, rinse & repeat until I make it home.
That's a great camera system, you'll like it. Try to keep the antennas high and clear of obstructions or you may get momentary loss of signal.

Another sequence of events for your trip might be; drive, park at KOA, unhook, get gas (and food), hook up, rinse and repeat. Depending on your range of course, but if your stops are one tankful apart it's easier to fuel up without the trailer. Otherwise look for the big travel stops with RV lanes.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #76
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
http://www.americanrvpark.com

American RV Park is a Good Sam RV park. We don't know much about the other parks, so can't help you there.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_124957.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	283149
Made it home! Super fun trip and she does tow like a dream. Gas stations were interesting, although more were perpendicular to the store than not. Drove through quite strong headwind on I-10 from Las Cruces to Tucson, TV and AS performed superbly. Stopped by White Sand National Monument on the way home, loved it. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1491919011551.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	283152
She's home in San Diego loving the fair weather.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170406_081646.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	283153
Thaks for all your input and suggestions, they were definitely helpful.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Attachment 283149
Made it home! Super fun trip and she does tow like a dream. Gas stations were interesting, although more were perpendicular to the store than not. Drove through quite strong headwind on I-10 from Las Cruces to Tucson, TV and AS performed superbly. Stopped by White Sand National Monument on the way home, loved it. Attachment 283152
She's home in San Diego loving the fair weather.Attachment 283153

Oh, she's a beauty... Told you easy peeze!! Glad to hear from you. I've been thinking about your trip and hoped you missed all the bad weather blowing through... I was out and trying to get AS into storage before major storm hit. Got her in just in the nick of time, TV was pelted by hail. Luckily no damage but would not have faired so well if AS would have been out another 10 minutes.

Now you are ready to roll!!

Congratulation!!! Post pic's of the inside
Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Attachment 283149
Made it home! Super fun trip and she does tow like a dream. Gas stations were interesting, although more were perpendicular to the store than not. Drove through quite strong headwind on I-10 from Las Cruces to Tucson, TV and AS performed superbly. Stopped by White Sand National Monument on the way home, loved it. Attachment 283152
She's home in San Diego loving the fair weather.Attachment 283153

she's a beauty... Told you easy peeze!! Glad to hear from you. I've been thinking about your trip and hoped you missed all the bad weather blowing through... I was out and trying to get AS into storage before major storm hit. Got her in just in the nick of time, TV was pelted by hail. Luckily no damage but would not have faired so well if AS would have been out another 10 minutes.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
she's a beauty... Told you easy peeze!! Glad to hear from you. I've been thinking about your trip and hoped you missed all the bad weather blowing through... I was out and trying to get AS into storage before major storm hit. Got her in just in the nick of time, TV was pelted by hail. Luckily no damage but would not have faired so well if AS would have been out another 10 minutes.

So glad you are okay and got AS inside just in time. You Oklahomans are so brave to have AS in hail country. I was glad to head west just in before that storm came. The I-40 was hit with snow, the I-10 was hit with desert windstorm, and behind was the thunderstorm in OK. Talk about making tough choices, it's quite a miracle that I came home without a scratch.

Here are some pics of interior, I can't believe this thing is 10yrs old, does not look it at all. Taking her out for a short camping trip with the kids this weekend, it's quite fun loading in all the knick knacks to fill the empty drawers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LDL_5543.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	283243   Click image for larger version

Name:	LDL_5545.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	283244  

Name:	LDL_5549.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	283245   Click image for larger version

Name:	LDL_5558.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	283246  

Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #81
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
How in the world did you pass all that great camping country up to park in the street? Oh, kids! Got it! Time for smiles, miles and memories.

She is a beauty. Use it, maintain it, keep her dry and enjoy her for years to come. Keep taking those pictures.

Hope to see you down the road. Pat
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Welcome back to SD

I am glad your maiden voyage went well. Your rig looks great.
My wife and I are staying in the Del Mar Fairgrounds campground through Wednesday. Then we are off to Las Vegas for a couple of events. We'll be staying at Admiral Baker RV Park near Qualcomm Stadium beginning on April 24th.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL4411 View Post
I am glad your maiden voyage went well. Your rig looks great.
My wife and I are staying in the Del Mar Fairgrounds campground through Wednesday. Then we are off to Las Vegas for a couple of events. We'll be staying at Admiral Baker RV Park near Qualcomm Stadium beginning on April 24th.
I would love to go out there and shake hands with you before you set off to Vegas. I am just two exits south of you. Would be great to see how you have your rig set up and ask some questions about maintaining batteries while in storage.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
How in the world did you pass all that great camping country up to park in the street? Oh, kids! Got it! Time for smiles, miles and memories.

She is a beauty. Use it, maintain it, keep her dry and enjoy her for years to come. Keep taking those pictures.

Hope to see you down the road. Pat
It was really hard to keep driving instead of stopping at all the highlights.
Took your advice, didn't even use the spare gas cans. Interstate gas stations were manageable, even the perpendicular ones.
Maintenence learning curve is quite steep. Would love to recaulk all windows, paint the tongue and WD hitch, install solar to trickle charge batteries, and install rear camera.