Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Luforia,
If the brakes and lights work, you are comfortable using the brakes, and the tires and bearings are in decent shape, you will make it home. The rest of the items will wait until you get home.
As far as safety goes:
- space is your friend. Do not tailgate.
- check your mirrors often to see where the trailer is within the lane. It is really easy to have the tow vehicle in the lane and the AS's wheels riding on the fog line/rumble strip or in the shoulder.
- get used to initiating left and especially right turns much later. If your truck's rear wheels just clear a corner, the AS will go over the corner.
I would take I-10. I consistently hit snow in Flagstaff this time of year. But living in San Diego may bias this decision.
Breathe and keep it at 62 mph or less and enjoy the trip.
AL4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
You are going to have to back up your trailer sooner or later. The time to learn is not when you are stuck somewhere in the dark by yourself. If you are traveling solo, get a backup camera, and practice a bit in the daylight. If you have a spotter, work clear commands for which way to swing the tail of the trailer.

Also, highly second the Allstays app for your phone or tablet. You can see the parks, then user reviews of the parks. Very helpful.

Also, stop in at a Home Depot or the like for some disposable latex gloves for dealing with your black and grey water tanks.

Always have a good flashlight/trouble light you can use to illuminate whatever you have to work on while your hands are holding wrenches and screws, or whatever.

General purpose spray lube, plus some silicon spray, always good to have.

A volt meter tester is handy. Spare fuses too. A tire gauge.

Hopefully that will get you to San Diego.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndews View Post
You'll love your Sierra with Max Towing. After extending your mirrors and setting Trailer Mode, turn Traction Control off by depressing the second piano key, then hold it down 5 second to turn off StabilTrac. Good luck.
Thanks Johndews! Didn't even think about that...can you explain why those need to be off?
luforia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Let me make a suggestion to you. We made exactly this same trip a year ago. Since you are driving to Oklahoma from Cal. and pulling the Airstream back to Cal. Knowing both I-40 and I-10 let me suggest you drive to Oklahoma on I-40 without the trailer. It is a beautiful drive and you might want to go further north into some beautiful country. Hook onto the trailer and take I-10 back to Cal. Reason being, the road is not mountainous, good running, plenty of places to stay. You are going to have difficulty planning ahead on places to stay. You are in less inhabited areas than what you are accustomed to, probably.

So far as your lack of experience in towing - that would be another reason to run on I-10. Actually, when you drop south from Okla, you may be on I-20 for a period of time. They are both excellent highways. The truck traffic is very heavy on I-40. Not that this should bother you. I pulled a 25' with a 1/2 ton Z71 - with a tow package - and never felt a pull from a truck or bus. You are never on a 2 lane area on I-20 or I-10. You will be fine. Good luck and make the most out of your trip to our area. We are 40 miles N. of Dallas.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Another reason to take I-10 - pulling the trailer - would be lack of concern re: snow and bad weather. Does not sound as though you have a specific time line. Watch your weather forecast as to expected weather. We drove from the Yosemite area back to Denton, TX in a little less than 3 days, taking our time. Again, best wishes.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Having just bought my first AS in November...

1. Get an inspector to help you look the trailer over. That was an $6000 mistake I made--seemed like too much trouble. Don't make the same mistake. There's a fair chance that the trailer has some subfloor rot somewhere. It may not, but the inspector will help figure out what you're looking at.

2. And this is the hard one... be prepared to walk away without the trailer. You can avoid a coin toss if the inspector can look at the trailer before you make the trip to Oklahoma. You'll have info of what you're getting. You drive to Oklahoma without knowing the condition of the trailer and there's a real good chance that you're buying the trailer, regardless of condition.

It's an amazing step--getting an Airstream--just do it eyes wide open.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Let me make a suggestion to you. We made exactly this same trip a year ago. Since you are driving to Oklahoma from Cal. and pulling the Airstream back to Cal. Knowing both I-40 and I-10 let me suggest you drive to Oklahoma on I-40 without the trailer. It is a beautiful drive and you might want to go further north into some beautiful country. Hook onto the trailer and take I-10 back to Cal. Reason being, the road is not mountainous, good running, plenty of places to stay. You are going to have difficulty planning ahead on places to stay. You are in less inhabited areas than what you are accustomed to, probably.

So far as your lack of experience in towing - that would be another reason to run on I-10. Actually, when you drop south from Okla, you may be on I-20 for a period of time. They are both excellent highways. The truck traffic is very heavy on I-40. Not that this should bother you. I pulled a 25' with a 1/2 ton Z71 - with a tow package - and never felt a pull from a truck or bus. You are never on a 2 lane area on I-20 or I-10. You will be fine. Good luck and make the most out of your trip to our area. We are 40 miles N. of Dallas.
Thanks Betty! This is what google maps suggest, https://goo.gl/maps/F3zzsi45YgP2, not sure if it's trailer driving friendly if I don't use the I-20.

Very reassuring to hear you have similar vehicle and did well with 25'. I have driven I-70 and I-40 before but not so much of I-10, this will be a treat to see so many different parts of the country.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
First of all...it's not a race. Take your time and camp. Enjoy the adventure. Do not travel at night. Highway 40 is really nice with parts of Route 66. Enjoy the adventure!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I belong to KOA and Good Sam Club.
They both have reasonably good facilities. Get the ALLSTAYS app for your phone or tablet to help locate RV facilities. I was snowed on in New Mexico and Colorado in April one year. I wait out the storm. If I have to cross a mountain pass, I cross in the afternoon. The road tends to be slushy or clear not icy by then.
The ALLSTAYS app seem to be heavily criticized for being buggy. I am trying RV Parky and Park Advisor. Are these similar enough in provided info or should I just get ALLSTAYS and take a chance on app's bugginess?

I think I'll take I-40 from CA to OK, then I-10 back. San Diegans have no business coming anywhere near slushy roads or cold mountain driving with trailer.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Thanks DaveMc.

1. Get an inspector to help you look the trailer over. That was an $6000 mistake I made--seemed like too much trouble. Don't make the same mistake. There's a fair chance that the trailer has some subfloor rot somewhere. It may not, but the inspector will help figure out what you're looking at.

That must have hurt. I will look for AS volunteer inspector to meet me there. Hopefully there's someone nearby. Seller keeps it under roof cover, plugged into shore power. He was thinking I'll get more damage parking it in San Diego sun.

2. And this is the hard one... be prepared to walk away without the trailer. You can avoid a coin toss if the inspector can look at the trailer before you make the trip to Oklahoma. You'll have info of what you're getting. You drive to Oklahoma without knowing the condition of the trailer and there's a real good chance that you're buying the trailer, regardless of condition.

Agree, hard to walk away after so many hours hunting and calling and missing deals, very emotionally exhausting endeavor to find one that fits the bill. Understand that I might just have a nice road trip with my TV there and back without trailer in tow.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
If you have a extra day before heading out to pick it up go to U Haul and rent a 20-25ft box trailer...take it to a big church or school parking lot and practice turns and backing. Take some cones to use as turn markers and for backing. This will build your confidence and help with the basics.

If you can I would really recommend finding a friend or relative who has towing experience that can make the trip with you.

Don't travel at night and plan on 300-400 mile days.

Be sure and clean out all those "Oklahoma Sooners" cups from the cabinets...they will be in places you never thought possible!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by luforia View Post
Thanks! I was offered Progressive thru my auto insurance company. They also offer towing of trailer and TV.

I'll look into AAA to compare.
I've terrific experience with Progressive. Two significant claims in 18 months (one a bird strike to upper curved front panel costing about $4,000 repair). No premium increase. Great service - fast and easy to work with.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
I've terrific experience with Progressive. Two significant claims in 18 months (one a bird strike to upper curved front panel costing about $4,000 repair). No premium increase. Great service - fast and easy to work with.
Glad to hear, very reassuring. That's one expensive dead bird.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
If you have a extra day before heading out to pick it up go to U Haul and rent a 20-25ft box trailer...take it to a big church or school parking lot and practice turns and backing. Take some cones to use as turn markers and for backing. This will build your confidence and help with the basics.

Sounds like I need to make time to do this before I go.

If you can I would really recommend finding a friend or relative who has towing experience that can make the trip with you.

lol...I am the one with the most experience out of all my friends/relative considering none of them have a TV.

Don't travel at night and plan on 300-400 mile days.
Trip is about 1350miles...looks like it'll take me 3.5days at least.

Be sure and clean out all those "Oklahoma Sooners" cups from the cabinets...they will be in places you never thought possible!
I'll take a picture and post if I do find one
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I have had no issues with Allstays app "bugs" on my iPad. Sometimes it's slow to load, usually at overloaded RV parks wifi...

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
Hi Luforia--I'm 2 yrs into our 2012 FC . Here's a few quick tips added to the many others you received.
1) try camping at KOA or similar within an hour away..(just in case) to get more of the "bugs" out of the way...as you pull, unhook, hook-up, etc --possibly similar things you may do at sellers place if you overnight, but you are actually towing your new AS.
2) try Amazon for all your needs to fit out (if seller doesn't already have them).
3) try to determine Airstream /RV dealers on way back to San Diego..(again, just in case)
4) obtain a copy of Rich Lohrs (?) book on Airstreaming--Its a terrific guide.
5) stay at 55 to 60 mph , & you'll feel mush more comfortable in your initial maiden travels.
6) As you travel interstates , you'll feel a pool as tractor trailers pass you (always aware, & 2 hands always on steering wheel.)
ok--Good luck , welcome to forum & happy travels.
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
We are in Arizona now. I40 is the much more scenic route but the potholes are bad and it is a much rougher road than the sections of I10 we have driven on.
Good luck.
TheGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Just remember the length of the tow vehicle and the trailer and practice some turns prior to getting on the interstate, it's when you get off and have to navigate the narrower streets and parking spaces that you can get bitten by not remembering that it is so much longer.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
5. Towing - one thought is to rent $15 a day lowboy or utility trailer and drag it around for a weekend. You'll get some practice with someone's trailer and not your easy to bend AS. Pull in and fill up your TV. Find a nice empty parking lot and practice going between the lines in forward and reverse.

John
2001 70th Ann. 30'
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Thank you all for your super helpful tips...makes me wonder how everyone is able to enjoy towing when there's so much to keep in mind.

Now I have even more questions related to the sale itself:

1. Bill of Sale: which state's bill of sale do I use, buyer's or seller's?

2. Title transfer: how does it work if I am financing the unit? I presume I still get title from Seller, and then bring it back to CA DMV to present for registration along with Bill of Sale?

3. License Plate: does Seller keep his OK license plate or it stays on unit?

4. Insurance: what happens if the appraised value of vehicle is higher/lower from purchase price?

5. Money transaction: Seller prefers cashier's check, the RV loan company will disperse a check with Seller's name but it's not exactly cashier's check. Do I have any other options to get him a cashier's check?