Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Newbie bringing AS from London Ontario to US for the first time

Has anyone got any tips or information on bringing our Airstream over the border from Canada to the US. My wife is Canadian & the Airstream is registered in her name.
Canadian friends have offered to tow it down & meet us in Ohio.
Thanks for your help.
cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
If you happen to have NEXUS use the NEXUS lane (so long as everyone with you has it), it may be easier. I always use the nexus lane after I found out I could take the trailer through with it. Check the CBP website and make sure you don't have any foods that are prohibited. Basically I just avoid any fruites/vegies/etc and any unfrozen meat or meat that does not have Canadian origin. I've gone across both ways multiple times (incuding when I imported it) and never had any inspection.

https://help.cbp.gov
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I suggest going through Sarnia to Port Huron, rather than Windsor to Detroit.
More miles but well worth it to avoid congestion.
I-69 is a nice road with not much traffic.
I would take I-69 to Flint, then US-23 South to Ohio.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistream View Post
Has anyone got any tips or information on bringing our Airstream over the border from Canada to the US. My wife is Canadian & the Airstream is registered in her name.
Canadian friends have offered to tow it down & meet us in Ohio.
Thanks for your help.

Any tips getting over the border towing the Airstream or if a friend or family is bringing it for you?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It could be a big problem if what you're trying to do is get an Airstream into the US permanently without paying taxes.

The CBP are professional lie detectors and the plates on the trailer and TV belonging to different people would be enough to trigger a lot of difficult questions for the people bringing it down.

I would get in contact with the CBP to run it past them first. The very first question will be why you can't go across the border to get it yourself?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
It could be a big problem if what you're trying to do is get an Airstream into the US permanently without paying taxes.

The CBP are professional lie detectors and the plates on the trailer and TV belonging to different people would be enough to trigger a lot of difficult questions for the people bringing it down.

Cheers
Tony

Excuse my lack of information about it but We are trying to bring it to our home in Florida and yes live it in the US does it require to pay taxes on it ?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Excuse my lack of information about it but We are trying to bring it to our home in Florida and yes live it in the US does it require to pay taxes on it ?

And we own a house in Canada and one in Florida too
Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:

You'll be importing the camper into the US and it's quite a process. The CBP website is your friend:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-into-the-u.s.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My wife is Canadian. We brought her car here. Did not have any trouble registering here.
Why would it be any different than an A$.
Have tour friends tow it across as if they are on vacation.
When you get to Florida, take the title and registration to DMV.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Pump the brakes everybody. Cyclistream, you need to be aware that if you bring a tangible good (an Airstream) into the US with the intent to sell, register it and / or keep it here permanently, you HAVE TO pay an import duty on it or prove it does not need to be paid. Since this was originally manufactured in the US, you can get around having to pay this duty but may have to get a hold of Airstream or your dealer to issue a statement to that affect.

Based on what you're said, your AS is titled, licensed and registered in Canada and you want to cross the border to visit the US with it. Nothing special to do there except have an answer to the question of how long you plan to stay here. There may be some timeframe you'd have to have it out by in order to avoid being accused of attempting to import it but I don't think there is. IF YOU'RE TRYING TO BRING IT HERE PERMANENTLY, and plan to register it in FL you may have problems transferring the title which I believe you must do in order to get a license plate. FL law gives you 90 days I believe in-state before you must register your motor vehicle (not sure if the same for trailer) which everyone exceeds by at least 6 months.

I would suggest you figure out your timeframe first. Then call CBP (they're actually quite helpful, just impatient and very bored sounding) and in a concise manner, tell them your intentions and ask what you need to do.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Thanks everyone for your help
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I-75 south is closed in Detroit for construction you are in for a big congested detour southbound avoid it if you can.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
[emoji1303]
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
It might not be as difficult as some are saying. If its registered to your wife in Canada, when you get it to Florida it will be again titled to your wife you shouldn't have any problems.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
It might not be as difficult as some are saying. If its registered to your wife in Canada, when you get it to Florida it will be again titled to your wife you shouldn't have any problems.

We asked DMV in Florida about registering 2 of our Canada registered vehicles in Florida and they said we have to get the vehicles inspected at a specific place and after, just bringing the inspection to DMV we register it with no problem .
Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you have a Canadian address and if you're spending time in Canada every year, then there's nothing to stop you from keeping the trailer registered in Canada for a while. Do check if there is a time limit on this, especially if you're planning on keeping the trailer in the US permanently.

I've done this with cars in the past, and once you understand the process, it is actually quite painless.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
The suggestion to avoid Detroit is a good one, but not mandatory. The problem with Detroit is southbound I-75. If you choose to cross at Detroit, I suggest I-94 west to US-23 then south. You can reconnect with I-75 south of Toledo. Since your AS was made in the US there is no problem bringing back to the US. (All AS are and were made in the US.) CBP will be interested in the contents. Make sure there is nothing illegal inside. If someone other than the owner is towing it and the owner is not present, a notarized statement from the owner acknowledging this is being done with their consent is a really good idea. Also, a copy of the up to date registration and a valid license on the unit will be needed.
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleepark View Post
The suggestion to avoid Detroit is a good one, but not mandatory. The problem with Detroit is southbound I-75. If you choose to cross at Detroit, I suggest I-94 west to US-23 then south. You can reconnect with I-75 south of Toledo. Since your AS was made in the US there is no problem bringing back to the US. (All AS are and were made in the US.) CBP will be interested in the contents. Make sure there is nothing illegal inside. If someone other than the owner is towing it and the owner is not present, a notarized statement from the owner acknowledging this is being done with their consent is a really good idea. Also, a copy of the up to date registration and a valid license on the unit will be needed.

Thanks will do that
Old 03-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
If you are going to register and plate it in FL you will pay for title and registration. If there was an ownership change you will also have to pay Florida Sales tax. If there is no ownership transfer just simply different plates on the TV and Trailer no one will bother you. Just have the proper paperwork at ready.
Just keep renewing on line in their respective localities.
I have been doing it for 15 years. By and register Truck in Illinois and the Air -stream in Florida.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Here is a link you will find useful. In summary, it's easy and no bond required but you do have to jump through a couple hoops. Please don't take advice from the lady at the DMV...

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor...rsonal-vehicle
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote