Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
It might not be as difficult as some are saying. If its registered to your wife in Canada, when you get it to Florida it will be again titled to your wife you shouldn't have any problems.

We asked DMV in Florida about registering 2 of our Canada registered vehicles in Florida and they said we have to get the vehicles inspected at a specific place and after, just bringing the inspection to DMV we register it with no problem .

Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
If you have a Canadian address and if you're spending time in Canada every year, then there's nothing to stop you from keeping the trailer registered in Canada for a while. Do check if there is a time limit on this, especially if you're planning on keeping the trailer in the US permanently.

I've done this with cars in the past, and once you understand the process, it is actually quite painless.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Woodburn , Kentucky
The suggestion to avoid Detroit is a good one, but not mandatory. The problem with Detroit is southbound I-75. If you choose to cross at Detroit, I suggest I-94 west to US-23 then south. You can reconnect with I-75 south of Toledo. Since your AS was made in the US there is no problem bringing back to the US. (All AS are and were made in the US.) CBP will be interested in the contents. Make sure there is nothing illegal inside. If someone other than the owner is towing it and the owner is not present, a notarized statement from the owner acknowledging this is being done with their consent is a really good idea. Also, a copy of the up to date registration and a valid license on the unit will be needed.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleepark View Post
The suggestion to avoid Detroit is a good one, but not mandatory. The problem with Detroit is southbound I-75. If you choose to cross at Detroit, I suggest I-94 west to US-23 then south. You can reconnect with I-75 south of Toledo. Since your AS was made in the US there is no problem bringing back to the US. (All AS are and were made in the US.) CBP will be interested in the contents. Make sure there is nothing illegal inside. If someone other than the owner is towing it and the owner is not present, a notarized statement from the owner acknowledging this is being done with their consent is a really good idea. Also, a copy of the up to date registration and a valid license on the unit will be needed.

Thanks will do that
Old 03-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistream View Post
Excuse my lack of information about it but We are trying to bring it to our home in Florida and yes live it in the US does it require to pay taxes on it ?
If you are going to register and plate it in FL you will pay for title and registration. If there was an ownership change you will also have to pay Florida Sales tax. If there is no ownership transfer just simply different plates on the TV and Trailer no one will bother you. Just have the proper paperwork at ready.
Just keep renewing on line in their respective localities.
I have been doing it for 15 years. By and register Truck in Illinois and the Air -stream in Florida.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Here is a link you will find useful. In summary, it's easy and no bond required but you do have to jump through a couple hoops. Please don't take advice from the lady at the DMV...

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor...rsonal-vehicle
Old 03-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Here is a link you will find useful. In summary, it's easy and no bond required but you do have to jump through a couple hoops. Please don't take advice from the lady at the DMV...

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor...rsonal-vehicle

Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
If you buy it in Ontario Canada and do not import it to the United States you will have to pay tax 13%. I understand if you register it in Ontario at your Canadian address you cannot get that tax back. Importing a former US vehicle to the US is not that difficult - I did it hundreds of times in my former career. A customs broker will handle it for you for a few hundred bucks or you can do it yourself if it is for personal use and you can avoid the 13% Canadian tax that way. If you are buying it from Canam in London I am sure they can guide you on this.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
If you buy it in Ontario Canada and do not import it to the United States you will have to pay tax 13%. I understand if you register it in Ontario at your Canadian address you cannot get that tax back. Importing a former US vehicle to the US is not that difficult - I did it hundreds of times in my former career. A customs broker will handle it for you for a few hundred bucks or you can do it yourself if it is for personal use and you can avoid the 13% Canadian tax that way. If you are buying it from Canam in London I am sure they can guide you on this.

Actually Canam service the Airstream and it's getting it ready for the long miles for us but we didn't buy it from Canam it's registered there in Canada .
Old 05-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
An update on this topic I thank everyone and at the same time my apologies because I haven't let you know the results of my wife driving our Airstream from Canada to the United States, it was really easy all they asked was about our belongings inside all the normal questions but that was it ,
The funny thing was, we had all the insurance, purchase papers truck papers anything they could need and they didn't even bother to ask for them thanks God everything was smooth and quick. Thank you all again for your response now we have it parked on our house ready for the next adventure