Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I respectfully disagree with Twinkie's point of view.

Why?

I believe that the total cost of ownership can work out to be about the same for either option, so why not have the nicer Airstream.

Let' say you buy either a new AS or new SOB. Let's say the AS costs double what the SOB costs. Let's say you need to sell either one in 3 years. You will get probably close to what you paid if you resell the AS. You will get about half what you paid for the SOB.

The monthly use costs of either are identical. (this is not counting the trailer costs). Costs for storage, gas, camping, see and do when traveling will not differ for either unit.

Let's further say that you are weighing the 2 options and keep either unit for 10-12 years. In 10 years your AS will be worth about half of what you paid, and the SOB virtually 0.

Now if you are indifferent between the AS and the SOB this is of no consequence; either option is fine. But if you prefer the AS, there is no reason to think that the total cost of ownership is really all that much more over the duration of ownership.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Aluminitis-- if you have it, no explanation is necessary. If you don't, no explanation is possible.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
To the engineer - run do not walk to the nearest exit - you won't like it.
To the romantic - write a check now, the smiles will out pace the miles.
To the financial analyst - the payback in $s is a future value sum.
To the mechanic - you can work on it forever and make it better and better.
To the realist - no slides to leak, rivets and seams will, tows well, looks nice.
To the buyer - you are never unhappy with your final decision.

First - we bought one.
Second - we looked at others and we liked it better.
Third - there is a lot of info on AS, that helps you make fewer mistakes.
Fourth - they use the same appliances other RVs use, no better, no worse.
Fifth - AS is a two season coach, the ribs that support the skin transfer heat.
Sixth - the Airstream company has evolved over time. So quality, innovation, and reliability have changed over time. When RVs did not sell, cost got cut; when doing well, the safety and quality research got done and better coaches were built. There are a few big mistakes - older 22 frames were a problem. When you fix something, lots of interior comes out. Not all the components are as high end as the purchase price. The recent expansion of the AS factory has had growing pains. It is perceived quality on some coaches suffered. Fit and finish suffers on some and is perfect on others. Your dealer makes a huge difference as they catch or miss big issues. Find a good one, visit the factory, decide for yourself.
Seventh - there are other options, look at the plastic ones. However, AS owners do like their coach. WBCCI is cool. The vintage folks are fantastic and often just plain artists. Aluminum is shined by returning the oxidation to it's pure elemental condition, not by sanding the oxidation off.
Eighth - The RV world needs DIY folks. Do not believe someone else will do it all, unless you have tons of time and money and patience.
Ninth - ASs are a fundamental part of the RV world. You may be a Winnebago fan, but everyone is an AS fan ..... except the Silver Streak and Avon folks who know there can be a better mouse trap.
Tenth - We bought one and will never buy another. This one is a keeper.

Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, this thread was revived approx 13 years after it's last post!!! So I got a hoot out of seeing my post from 2003, right after I bought my trailer. It all still holds true today. I haven't gotten to use it as much as I wanted to, but we have had it on Route 66 since then, and my hubby still loves it. We've replaced some interior appliances, and the floor, but it's otherwise still the same inside. I still love the classic vibe. It's part of the family now.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
Airstreams and Harley Davidson...same idea, make something that looks old but that is new, and keep the customer involved.
Exactly[emoji3]
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
PKI, what a great post. Your bullet points really hit home.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #27
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Wow, this thread was revived approx 13 years after it's last post!!!
And there you have it! Even an Airstream Airforums thread lasts longer than most SOB trailers!

Still very happy with my 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel. It's the only thing keeping my marriage together, (we'd kill each other to keep it in the divorce).

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote