Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #1

Question Newbie - Airstream owner's loyalty - Why?

My husband and I are looking to buy our first travel trailer. After much research we have noticed Airstream owners are very loyal to the brand. Can you tell us why? We are willing to be convinced.
junaclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We're new owners, picked up our Airstream in July. We heard the same that you have.

Already have 10,700 miles on our 2004 30' Classic. Been wonderful - everything we expected.

That's how I believe loyality begins.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Easy to tow. Very comfey inside. Style and Class. Airstreamers are one of kind not like "SOB's" we love our units and take pride in them.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
In 20 years you will still have a usable trailer that's not falling appart. Ever seen a 40 year old box trailer? You will find many of the forum members here are still using 50's and 60's models regularly.

40 Years all bets are off LOL We are mid way through replacing the floor in our 59. It had some leaks that went unchecked for a very long time. Body is still in fair condition so it will be worth it the effort. Doing a complete restore. Then in 40 years one of our daughters will inherit it like My wife inheritted ours. We are taking extra steps that will hopefully get it thrugh the next 40 years without some of the problems it had the first 40.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've always thought the brand loyalty was because of the WBCCI. Ol Wally was smart - starting a club and showing pictures of trailers going across swamps and stuff sells a lot of trailers.

There are other brands just as good if not better like Silver Streak and Avion - but they have gone by the wayside - did not have the WBCCI.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Loyalty for me is that it is an icon - symbolizing alot of the true American Heritage. But as my friend told me when he stepped out of it - "I can see why you bought it. Unlike most other trailer - this is solid, and you notice from the very beginning - to end"
Old 10-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Objectively, the only things I can point to are the ease of towing and the basic construction. When properly hitched up and riding on good axles, they track right down the road, regardless of the wind direction. And the monocoque aluminum construction, whaterver other limitiations it has, is phenominally long lived.

BUT!!!!! There is something about them that is not easily communicated. Somehow they are just so right. My wife and I are so at ease and so comfortable that it is hard to imagine traveling with any other brand. We still go to the RV shows, but even with all the slide outs, the seven foot ceilings, the ducted air conditioning, and whatever else is being sold this year, they never seem "right" in the way our Airstream is.

Much of it is little things, I think, that come from building travel trailers for over 50 years. On mine, and most (but not all), there is room next to the bathroom sink for toiletries and whatever. There is a cabinet placed just exactly where it should be for watching TV. And there are closets, drawers, and bins beyond the dreams of the worst packrat. On an implulse, I bought a Lafuma folding recliner. They are quite large. Where to put it? No problem, it goes right in the back of the front closet.

Yet, there is more. Is it the soft, organic shape mandated by the curves in the roof and ends? Is it the fact that we are only two, and the layout is optimized for two people? Is it the fact that we don't owe any money on it? I don't know, but the central fact remains that we will load up for a couple of days this weekend, and wish is was for a week at least.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Less than a year ago I started seriously looking for a travel trailer, and started reading some forums that deal with all brands. I started getting nervous about all the complaints I read from people with new trailers, about poor workmanship, damage from road stresses, and what seemed to me like excessive wear and tear after being used. Then I saw someone mention an Airstream. Hey, you mean those cool old silver bullet trailers?

Since I am an old car nut (nuts for old cars that is), I started looking at old trailers. I was surprised to find Airstreams were still being produced. I found this forum and got educated. My husband was more than a little skeptical in May when I located and brought home a '68 17ft Caravel.

Now, he's completely a changed man. He can't wait to get out in the trailer and go travel. He doesn't want me to change a thing inside, he loves it just like it is. He keeps saying this design has been good for 35 years, don't change a thing. Who am I to argue? It is a fine, solid little trailer. The original fridge, water heater, and furnace provide everything we need on a trip. It tows behind the van like it isn't even there. Everytime I look at it, I feel like I'm on route 66. And I've never been on route 66. Everything about it just says 'lets hit the road and have an adventure'!

Now, it's natural for me to love it, I love most everything that rolls on wheels. But that it captured him as well, that's a surprise. I never saw that coming. There just must be something special about Airstreams...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I prefer to camp as far from other people as possible, but my friends like to have camp sites with running water and bathrooms.

When I stay in a campground, more than once the park rangers have walked past new trailers, $200,000 monster motorhomes, and knock on the door of my '65 trailer and ask for a peek inside.

For me, there's also a feeling of being entrusted with a piece of American history. There are many intangebles about owning one that you will only know if you have one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

When I was a child I saw my first Airstream and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I'm now 51 and have spent the last few years searching for an affordable a950's Airstream. This month I found and purchased a wonderfully restored 1968 Overlander Airstream. There's nothing like it.

I love vintage trailers and for the past 8 years owned a 1955 33' Streamlite park model trailer. I sold this trailer and purchased the 1968 Airstream. I must admit that I have had fewer problem with either trailers than my friends have with their new trailers. Since I live in Minnesota, I have very little time to get to know my Airstream before winterizing it. But, I look forward to my little silver bullet next spring.

LaVonne
carls017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, as a first-time hard-side trailer owner, and the relatively recent purchaser of an Airstream, here's a couple reasons people are so nuts about 'em.

1. There's a HUGE body of knowledge about Airstreams, and a pretty decent parts availability, even for older units.

2. There's a devoted slash fanatical following, thus providing a ready market if you ever want to sell. I've had mine 3 months and could probably sell it in a week for $2000 more than I paid for it.

3. Everybody knows what an Airstream is, and there's kind of a mystery slash cachet about them.

4. They hold up really, really well, and the old ones are "cooler" than new ones.

You roll up with a 15 year old Brand X trailer, and people look at you like you're some poor hillbilly who can't afford a nice trailer. Roll up with a 30 year old Airstream and everybody wants to look inside and talk about how their Uncle Hubert used to have a friend that had one.

5. They're made for towing, not just to look cool. They're well balanced and made for function. I've done some scary-fast lane changes with mine, no problemo.
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM   #12

THANKS! That begs one more question...

Thank you for the replies to my original question. I am learning. When I read your responses to my husband (an engineer) he wondered out loud, "Maybe you should have asked instead, 'Is there anything wrong with Airstreams?'"

I have read the forums, read of issues such as 'frame droop' and the importance of the correct towing equipment--but are there pther things to watch out for in general--or anything Airstream owners would change?

Pam

P.S. We are looking diligently for a used, small-ish (~25') trailer in the midwest. I have a feeling we'll eventually refer to it fondly as our 'first Airstream.'
junaclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:42 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: THANKS! That begs one more question...

Quote:
Originally posted by junaclare
'Is there anything wrong with Airstreams?'"

I have read the forums, read of issues such as 'frame droop' and the importance of the correct towing equipment--but are there pther things to watch out for in general--or anything Airstream owners would change?

Hi! Now having had five Airstream trailers, a '57 Overlander, a '61 Bambi, a '78 Argosy Minuet, a '70 Safari and a '94 Classic as well as an '85 325 motorhome, I can tell you that there are lots of things wrong with Airstreams. The beds may have rounded corners that are tough to fit sheets to; and they may have singles when they should have a double; or it has a double that isn't wide enough; or queens that take up too much space. They may not have enough hanging closet space, and too much drawer space or not enough drawer space and too much hanging closet space. The trailer is too short to be comfortable or too long to manuever easily.

The overhead lockers have doors that ought to be tambours; or if it has tambours, the doors ought to be solid wood. The tambours ought to last 50 years instead of 30. The plumbing shouldn't break when it freezes and you forgot to winterize it. They ought to use some kind of caulk besides Vulkem that should last a hundred years instead of merely forty or so. Airstream has stopped stocking windows for trailers they built 40 years ago. It's tough to buy an original equipment lockset for a 1957 trailer.

The Henschen axles ought to last more than 35 or 40 years. Why can't they make upholstery and drapes that won't rot or go horribly out of fashion in just twenty-five or so years?

Quite honestly, there are enough Airstreams out there in enough configurations to satisfy just about everyone who's looking. You may have to look a while to find 'your coach', but you'll find it.

All products have issues; quality control, problems with subcontracted components, etc. Airstreams are no different; however, once you get past the initial problems with the coach, appliances and so forth, you ought to have a trailer that you can pass on to your grandchildren.

Best of luck in your search.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:07 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Re: THANKS! That begs one more question...

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

All products have issues; quality control, problems with subcontracted components, etc. Airstreams are no different; however, once you get past the initial problems with the coach, appliances and so forth, you ought to have a trailer that you can pass on to your grandchildren.

Best of luck in your search.

Roger
Well put! Not much more can be said......

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Re: THANKS! That begs one more question...

Quote:
Originally posted by junaclare
When I read your responses to my husband (an engineer) he wondered out loud, "Maybe you should have asked instead, 'Is there anything wrong with Airstreams?'"
Good question! Are you sure your husband isn't a lawyer?

I think it's fair to say that there were a few vintage years where Airstream incorporated some features which have become problematic fixes today.

The mid/late 60's ('66 and later) had curved glass windows which are no longer available (altho, efforts are still being made to produce a suitable replacement.) Airstream used aluminum wiring during this same time period, which also presents unnecessary problems.

In the late 60s-early 70s, Airstream used "Tambour doors" in the cabinetry, and while repairs are certainly possible, they're a pain in the neck.

As you mentioned, rear-end separation is a problem for some late 60s- early 70s Airstreams, especially the larger ones with rear baths.

The quality control on some of the newer trailers has been questioned on this Forum--- mostly "fit and finish" issues in the interiors. Airstream seems to be very responsive to these occaisional complaints.

Overall, though, I think it's fair to say that Airstreams have been the best trailer on the market for decades-- in quality of construction, longevity, and in owner satisfaction. Like the Adirondack chair and blues music, an Airstream is truly an icon of America.
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe it is a combination of things.
1) Iconic representation- the look/style- the appearance of quality in trailer form.

2) Market niche- better than many trailers built cheaply, less costly than a motorhome

3) Sense of belonging- while usually unknown to newbies, owners come to realize the sense of community of streamers that spans time, almost a club or groupie thing. While streamers may look at other brands from time to time, they realize that the help, the camaraderie is not a part of most other brands other than maybe Montana 5th wheel group, etc. So, they tend to stay or come back.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If only they still made Avions.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Airstreams and Harley Davidson...same idea, make something that looks old but that is new, and keep the customer involved.
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
I (57) recently retired and my wife (53) and I want to spend some time traveling through the country. We have never slept in or pulled a trailer. In speaking to an Airstream representative I am told this is true regarding 60% of their buyers. We live in the northeast and have decided to store the Airstream in the south during the winter and tour from there for a few weeks at a time. In any event we did our research and the only RV that fit our needs and style was an Airstream. In particular we like the Int'l Signature 25 FB.

We are renting one for a week in April (similar model as the one we wish to buy) just to try it out before making a purchase.

Please keep in mind that although Airstreams are beautiful they are not perfect. More perfect in our opinion than the other brands which I suspect also have similar or greater bugs to work out. Everyone we speak to tells us that you must be prepared for issues to arise and deal with them as you can. The trailers are made by hand and things break.

Good Luck to you.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am not aware of any travel trailer that is NOT made by hand.
Since you have never owned a travel trailer I would recommend buying something less expensive at first.
You can buy a decent SOB ( some other brand) for $20K-$30K which would be what you would lose in depreciation on an A$ should you decide you don't like trailer life.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote