Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637

Well...I just plugged her in for the first time here at the house.Everything works great.I need to ask one question though.I was going to start washing the Airstream today and when i went down and looked under the front end i noticed that there was a kink in the propane line.It looked like something was put under it and smashed the copper line.Is this something normal?I really dont think so and also think this could be very very dangerous.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Devo, can you post pics of how bad the kink is? I would turn the gas on and see if it leaks by brushing on a soapy solution. If it leaks, you will see bubbles immediately.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Did it

Just post a pic.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You won't be getting much gas past that. Call the dealer. A local plumber could fix that for you.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Yup, I agree with Over 59. Is this the line running to the fridge or the stove?

Bummer man. It sucks to see something already wrong with you new trailer, but it should be an easy (and cheap) fix.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Gas

The gas still works.When we did the walk around they turned it on for me then turned it off. I think i will get the local RV place here to do it or should i take it to someone else?.The dealer i went through is about 6 to 7 hours away.But they have been very helpful w/great service.So far there have only been to faults since purchase of this vehicle.I think that is pretty good.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Main

It is the main line running just under the front end suppling everything i think.No worries though.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Dealer

I have sent the dealer an e-mail earlier today.My salesman knows that i have sent it.So i should be getting a reply here soon either tomorrow or wed.They told me that being so far away from them that they could get one of the dealer ships to do it for me and they will cover the cost under the warrenty.I though that was pretty cool of them.I just have to wait so they can give the answer.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

That's exactly how it should be handled!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
That's a significant crimp in your main supply line, but looks like a simple fix. I hope the dealership doesn't require you to pull the Bambi all the way back to do it. As a reference point, is that the curb side leveler behind the crimp?

When I bought mine I spent the better part of a day being schooled in all the systems, and then spent the night at the dealers camp site where I discovered a small water leak near the dump valves. I ended up taking it back twice before they fixed it. Fortunately they are only 65 miles away. At first they thought it was a leak in the black water tank and, even though I told them I thought it was a fresh water leak because it only leaked when the system was under pressure, and the pump cycled briefly every 5-10 minutes. They tightened the connections where the toilet hooks to the tank. That didn't stop the leak, even though they insisted it should. At the second visit, it turned out to be leaking at two different connections in the cold water supply line to the shower. After consulting Airstream, they apparently had to remove the shower and toilet to replace the connections.

It was a frustrating first two months, but they seemed very committed to resolving the problem and told me that from that point on I didn't need an appointment but could bring it in anytime, at my convenience. They ultimately did a very professional job. It hasn't dampened my enthusiasm at all, and I can tell this little blip hasn't affected yours either.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 AM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Problems

I really like the Airstream and i expect problems to come with it.So it is no big deal at all. as long as it gets fixed i am fine whether they do it or i have to do it.I mean being that they are about 6 to 7 hours away does kinda put me in a slight harder situation but no worries.Things will get done in time as long as they are not really anything major.It has been raining alot here lately so no leaks as of yet.I am in good hands with this dealer.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If your handy I would unhook the gas lines from your tank, purge the lines with an aircompressor and solder in a small section of pipe. Or just replace the length of copper pipe. All items are available at the hardware store.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
You know, if its new, it's got a 2 year warranty. Why try and fix something when it's covered? That's what you paid top dollar for. Also, If you fix it yourself, how is AS going to find out? by getting a Service center to do it under the warrenty AS pays them for it and hopefully reprimands the crew and the dealer who sold it.

anyway, that's my 2 cents worth

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Airstream

Yea i am in the process of getting it fix with the warrenty.Airstream themselves said it would be ok to get another dealer to fix this since i live about 7 hours from my dealership.
That is what i call good service.
I have not been able to get anything done lately since we have had all these storms.
Mabey this Hurricane Katrina will be the last one this year.(Fingers crossed.)