Old 12-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ottawa , Ontario

Hello all, just joined the site as I close in on my airstream dream. My wife daughter and I have committed to buy an airstream, I have a 20k budget and live in Ontario Canada. Wondering if any other Canucks have bought across the border as the inventory of used airstreams in eastern Canada seems light. The main reason we picked a used airstream is due to it holding its value, high quality construction and ease of towing. Most of the other travel trailers on the market look so cheap and flimsy to me. Im looking for any advice on acquiring an airstream in ready to use quality at a fair price.
thanks in advance for any advice

Old 12-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Welcome to the forum:

The problem with cross border shopping right now is that your $20,000 is under $15,000 US, plus customs, plus transportation and whatever other fees involved. It may take a while but good used units do come on sale on KIJIJI. Recently this fall someone was selling a 31' in really decent unrestored condition for around $20k Can; so they are out there, but you'll have to be patient.

Be very careful to have your prospective purchase gone over by an AS expert inspector as all things AS are not high quality materials or workmanship. It can be easy to be seduced by the bling and shiny polished metal which hides saggy axles, rotted subfloor, trailer separation and a host of other maladies.

Research what lengths and floor plans appeal to you, ask lots of questions and be patient but also willing to compromise. Tip......shorter lengths are more desirable than longer lengths as they require a lighter TV; so don't be surprised if you find a 34' triple axle the same price as a 23' or 25' trailer.

What TV do you have or are planning on purchasing could affect trailer lengths you're interested in.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Ottawa , Ontario
thank you for the sage advice Tony
Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums and we hope you enjoy the search process and then, most important, that you enjoy your Airstream.

Roy and Marie
Old 08-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #5

Ridgeville , Ontario
There are a couple listed on either kijiji or rv trader.ca for under 20K in Hamilton/Binbrook.