Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2003, 03:45 PM   #1

Smile New vs used??

Greetings everyone! My wife and I are investigating the Airstream as we have grown tired of the "white box" TT's! We are wondering about the quality and longevity of a new AS vs the vintage AS. What is the forum consensus about the new (2001 and up) Airstreams?

We are considering something around 25' to tow with our 2001 Tahoe (with Trailer package, 3:73 rear). We have a 28' white box now and use the Hensley Arrow. Nothing wrong with the white box; we just don't see it lasting 20 years - plus the wind resistance is a real issue as gas prices continue to go up! (I might as well attach a parachute to my truck to equal the wind resistance from the front of the white box!)

Our local dealer seems quite impressed with the quality, but then again, he's trying to sell them!

Anxious for your input!

Thanks,
Doug in Colorado
Old 03-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Doug,

After almost 3 years of looking for a good used Safari 25C we finally bit the bullet and ordered a 2003. We only found 2 trailers in that time frame and both of them would have required some work to adapt them to our tastes/likes. Hence the new order. Now only 7 weeks to go until it is delivered.

I have read comments that the new trailers are not the same standards as the old/vintage trailers, but they are IMHO heads and shoulders over the SOBs out there.

Whatever you end up with I am sure you will be pleased.

Malcolm
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Doug!

There isn't a tremendous quality difference among the various vintages of Airstreams; rather an evolutionary change of function and style (IMHO). The biggest issue to assess with a Vintage unit is its previous maintenance history - - a well maintained coach maintains its quality while a poorly maintained coach can quickly become an albatross for its owner. A point that often can be overlooked is just how much time (or money) one wants to put into the restoration/refurbishment of a Vintage coach. From personal experience, as a non-do-it-yourselfer, the cost of restoration/refurbishment will soon approach the cost of a similarly sized late model Airstream - - the total restoration cost on my '64 Overlander was just short of $25,750 not including the original purchase price of the coach. You might ask whether I am sorry that I went through with the restoration - - the answer is a resounding NO - - the coach was exactly what I wanted and the cost of the restoration was about what I expected - - a side factor was that this was the coach that I first went camping in as a five year old when the Overlander was new and owned by friend's of my family.

My suggestion would be to look at a number of coaches including new, late model, and representatives of the Vintage coaches to get a feel for the aesthetic differences. You may find that the newer coaches requiring less in the way of restoration/refurbishment will better suit your lifestyle; then again, you might find that Vintage coach that is "just calling your name".

There are some very nice vintage coaches out there that have been well maintained by caring owners that would require little to be roadworthy and camp-ready; but with a vintage coach you need to be prepared for the likely system failures due to age/use that wouldn't necessarily be an immediate concern with a late model coach. It is also possible to find a fully restored coach offered for sale as well; but the prices asked usually reflect the amount of work and materials necessary for the refurbishment.

A little firsthand research should help you to identify the best answer to the question of Vintage or late model that will best suit your lifestyle and needs.

Just as an example, this is my '64 Overlander before its restoration refurbishment was completed:

This is a photo taken after the restoration was completed:

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I personally think the 25' is an excellent size. But then, I have a '87 25' Sovereign. We tow with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with the 6.5 diesel and 3.73 gearing. It is... adequate.

You will want to check the weight of your Thor against the 25' Safari and Classic to get an idea of how they will tow compared to your current trailer. I think the Classic is really nice, but I don't think I'd want to tow one without more truck and gearing. My '87 is more in line with the Safari on weight. Aside from weight, the Airstream will tow much, much easier at highway speeds than your white box. That stuff about aerodynamic shape is not just marketing. And the shape is not all - they are very clean aerodynamically underneath as well.

Overlander64 makes some really good points. And it does seem that 25' units are hard to find on the used market. Surely that will start to change with the success of the Safari.

Nothing as complex as a travel trailer is ever going to be problem free, but there is very little to choose from across the model years as reguards quality. In my opinion. Keeping in mind that there is zero chance of me buying a late model anytime soon. Different features, to be sure. Trade offs, to be sure, but in actual overall quality, it is hard to make the case that years XXXX to XXXX were somehow significantly better or worse.

To say that the vintage units were no better built is fight'n words in many quaters, and I don't want to fight. I also think it comes down to personal preferences. Yes, I'd like the thicker aluminum that will take a high polish, but then, I insist on a gray water tank and a rear bedroom. To aficianados, the 60s interiors are spare, and clean. To me they look like, well, lets just say I do not find it appealing and leave it at that. Yes, there have been some real mistakes made in recent years - the sagging headliners from the late 90s, eg, but what about the cracked interior endcaps for all of us 80s model owers? What about tail droop from the 70s? What about the polybutylene fiasco? Then there are 60s models with their $500 replacement door locks (although that is not really a quality problem).

It seems to me that you have to look at what issues are important to you, because you are the one that has to live with it. This forum is undoubtedly the best place to do that research.

In 2023, people will be on this forum, or one like it, discussing their 2003 Airstream. Few, if any, other makes will be able to say the same.

Waiting to stand corrected,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:07 AM   #5
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2019 25' International
Mint Hill , North Carolina
New vs. Used??

I agree with Mark about the reasons to get a newer Airstream. Rear Bedroom, Not rear bath which caused rear sag, nicer cabinetry, modern wiring and plumbing, etc. Also, restoring a vintage Airstream isn't for everybody. It requires dedication and work, not to mention bucks. I get the feeling that you want something that you can pull now and enjoy.

Retail price on a new 25' Classic will be about 50,000, and a Safari about 37,000. Don't worry about pulling it with a Tahoe. Before I got my 8.1 L Chevy I pulled with a small V8 F150. Gas mileage sucked but it pulled it fine. Using a Hensley as you do winds will be less of a problem.

This should be on the classified pages, I know, and may show up there soon, but we are thinking about trading our 25' Classic for a 30' unit. We may sell instead of trading. It is a 1998 queen bed and is in showroom condition with Factory installed rear and road awnings. Let me know if you might be interested.
WBCCI 7231
rickdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Doug,

There are two Airstream campgrounds here in Melbourne Florida

Land Yacht Port O' Call

LAND YACHT PORT O'CALL
1300 Airport Blvd.
Melbourne, FL 32901
321-723-3604 or 800-982-0255

http://hometown.aol.com/landyachtpo...e/business.html

Port O' Call is being closed down for airport expansion. I don't know when exactly but there are bound to be some excellent deals on used Airstreams. I would assume that many of the owners will sell rather than move their trailer.

and

Land Yacht Harbor of Melbourne
321-254-6398
201 N John Rodes Blvd, Melbourne Fl 32934
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

You can find the best deals purely price-wise on 70's models. Lots of units on the market, and it is the buyer's market at this point.

But IMO in terms of overall value, the best models are from 1980's: 1981-1989. Ultimately, this is what I was looking for.
ipso_facto is offline   Reply With Quote