Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Forum member Road King Moe made up a list last year of recommended items for outfitting a new trailer. I'll try to find it and post a link to it. It was very helpful for us.

Dennis
Too late. See above post.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This is good information for new owners.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 AM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thanks

This is very helpful information.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great information. It's always good to see what everyone considers to be necessities and to learn from each others experience. In my work I get to travel a bit and ,whenever possible, I drive through a campground just to see how others set up, if there is anything new and wonderful, and to spot other Airstreamers, of course. Last week I was in a 200+ site campground w/full hookups. On one corner site I saw (in addition to the usual full compliment of party lights), a fully operational 5 foot tall bubbling water fountain complete with faux rocks made to resemble a waterfall, and two 8 foot tall lighted flourescent orange palm trees, a flock of flamingos, and one of those little portable soft hot tubs under a small cabana with a simulated grass roof. I almost wanted to stay to see what all that looked like at night, and it took all my willpower, but I managed to escape.

There wasn't a single Airstream in the entire campground.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
On one corner site I saw (in addition to the usual full compliment of party lights), a fully operational 5 foot tall bubbling water fountain complete with faux rocks made to resemble a waterfall . . .
And that is exactly why I boondock.

A great list! Not sure how I'll fit it all in my lil' Bambi.

I would also like to add 12V fuses to the list. A must have if one blow while you are on the road. Make sure you have the proper sizes to replace ones in the converter, the electric jack (if equipped), and also for the charge lines coming from the tow vehicle.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Advice for new Airstream purchaser?
I am contemplating purchasing either a 19' Bambi Safari, a 22' Safari or a 23' Safari. I will primarily use it for camping with minimal hookups, and plan on alot of backroad travel. I have a full size SUV for towing. Primarily one person, but on occasion maybe two. The typical trip length woud be two-four weeks, twice a year. Probably will purchase a new one. Any advice from users would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Maurice, my unit takes a 13/16" lug wrench. I personally reccommend a 4 way, NON-CHROME wrench. The 4-way for better leverage, non-chrome, because the chrome will rust and start to peel off, leaving sharp edges and causing very nasty lacerations to your hands when spinning the wrench. Ask me how I know about the lacerations...
Anybody else have any ideas?
Terry
Walmart sells a stainless steel 4-way (MADE IN CHINA) that won't rust and cost $9.95 . I know the crome issue and have returned alot of Craftsman tools that have bit me.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #22
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
A 3 ft length of pipe to go with your lug wrench will guarantee you can loosen the lug nuts.--Frank S
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H. View Post
I am contemplating purchasing either a 19' Bambi Safari, a 22' Safari or a 23' Safari. I will primarily use it for camping with minimal hookups, and plan on alot of backroad travel. I have a full size SUV for towing. Primarily one person, but on occasion maybe two. The typical trip length woud be two-four weeks, twice a year. Probably will purchase a new one. Any advice from users would be appreciated. Thanks
Jim, if you're boondocking quite a bit, and need to keep your batteries charged, consider a solar array:

SunForce Products Inc. - Solar Energy Panels for Home, Solar Energy Products, Wind energy, Solar Panels, Inverters, Clean energy products, Wind Turbines
Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H. View Post

Wife and I, and 45 lb dog use our 19' Bambi. We've done 5 days without hookups, and with limited sun to recharge the battery with the OEM solar panel. Works pretty well. We conserve, of course. And I carry extra water, since we can go thru one tank of water before filling the waste tanks. We drink from water containers in the back of the truck, not from bambi. Do some hand wash and dish wash there too. I bet we could go 6 or 7 days without having to dump the tanks.

As for size, the 19 is just fine for us. Our bambi has a shower stall and is not a wet bath -- I like that. When I'm out by myself, the space seems totally comfortable. For two of us, we have very few space complaints.

The 19' size is real easy to tow and park. No desire (yet) to move "up". Good luck and have fun! And, do get solar.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Still - this is a great "Thread" even if it "bumps" other threads with the same info!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
This is great! I'm just bringing home my new (to me) AS and wondered about a check list. How do you ever actually get on the road with so much to do?
What do you do about ants (prevention)?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Monrovia , California
Items for new trailer and a question

A few other items my wife and I have acquired for our new Airstream:
Small dish strainer (available at WalMart)
Extra toilet paper and toilet chemicals (also at WalMart)
Dishwashing sponge and/or brush
Plates, bowls, silverware, cooking utensils
Salt, pepper and commonly used spices
Fry pan, sauce pan, baking pan
Leveling blocks and tire chocks
Folding chairs and small table for use under awning
Wine opener, wine glasses, other accessories

Question: can anyone recommend how to store dishes and glassware so it doesn't end up flying around and broken? We're putting in sticky shelf liner material but aren't sure about storage of glass plates, bowls, etc. Any advice for a new Airstreamer?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #28
CurlyGirl

2013 16' Sport
1965 26' Overlander
Comfort , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
I am about to get the Airstream here in a couple or so more days and i am wondering what would i need.Also what is recomended by all of you who use these products.Such as...Dumping pipes,water hose,Surge protector,Leveling blocks or wheel stops,Awning clamps.etc,etc,etc.
I have been seaching like crazy but i just cant find everything being that there is so much information out there.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank You.
...Newbie Airstreamer...
We just got our new 16' Sport not too long ago and it came with everything we needed: sewer hose, water hose, etc. Not sure if this is standard or an extra from the dealer. Have fun with your new Airstream!