Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
As long as your tv has an audio out there should be no issue. Just route the DVD audio inputs on the back of the TV to the tv audio out. Then re-route the DVD out on the player to AUX in. You will lose DVD sound on the tv set, but it will play through the surround speakers since they are wired directly to the player when the receiver is in DVD mode.

Now any signal that that comes into the TV can be heard through the surround speakers. Only downside is that the TV will have to be on. If I get out to the trailer tomorrow, I'll snap some photos.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The Netflix app for the iPad works pretty good through 3G. Course on the road at different State and National Parks that's unlikely. When I first got the iPad ATT offered an unlimited data plan for the iPad for $25. Course when I didn't renew it in August then the option was for 2GB of data per month. Not sure what that means in movie data from past experience I'm sure the fun runs out before the month.

Looked yesterday on my 25' and the TV is mounted on the wall front of the fridge. The outside panel gives access to the wall behind the TV, would be some work to fish a wire up through there but could add a HDMI cable to the TV. However the run under the trailer would be outside of the belly pan and then who knows how to run it up the wall inside the skin to the DVD player location or Aux in on the amplifier.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
2009 Samsung TV & Audio Set UP

OK so I went out to the storage unit to look at a couple of other things and snapped some pics of the TV set up. The TV is Samsung 19" LCD model #LN19A450C1D, 720p resolution.

You can see in the photo that the DVD is connected to the Analog input and the Antenna is connected to the COAX connection. It has the standard type connections most other new TVs have.

I was incorrect on in my previous post in how the sound from the TV is broadcast to the surround speakers. You will see that there is a dedicated Audio out cable which will send any sound that would normally come out of the TV speakers to the stereo when the stereo is in AUX mode. What is nice about this connection is that the volume level of sound output is constant AND independent of the TV speaker volume. You can turn the TV sound to zero with the TV remote and still use the stereo remote (or a universal) to change volume on the surround.

This should allow any sound the Apple TV (video or audio) pushes through the HDMI connection to play out of the surround sound.

After looking at the panel today I remembered that when I took possession of the trailer, the RCA cables that are now in the audio out were plugged into the DVI in. Don't know why, but I suspect it was like this from the factory as the original owner never QC'd any of the trailer's systems at delivery. On this system there is a dedicated cable that is tied into the AUX panel on the stereo.

Something you all may want to check for on your systems.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of TV.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	113945  
Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The new Apple TV has a HDMI out and a Digital audio out for fiber optic audio connection. The old Apple TV had component and audio outs as well. The digital audio out is worthless in the Airstream configuration. So the summary is that if you connect the Apple TV directly to the HD TV by the HDMI then you will have to use the speakers built into the TV set. Some TV sets give you an audio out as a digital and as RCA phono jacks. If you mount the Apple TV to the back of the screen then the remote that comes with it won't work as it has to "see" the ir port on the Apple TV. Basically you will want to pull a cable from the TV back to the AUX in Audio connection to get the TV Tuner or the Apple TV back into the Airstreams sound system.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Hansom your setup may be able to take the HDMI audio in and then spit it back out the audio out into your system from the Apple TV. I take it that the audio feed from the TVs digital tuner is feed to the stereo system in the trailer which is nice. Think mine does that but since the TV doesn't have a digital tuner then I can't get the OverThe Air tv channels.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Yeah, it sounds like all you need to do is update your panel to something with a digital tuner. Just make sure it has the right outputs, which I'm sure you have well in hand.

The remote app for the iPhone/iPad is way superior to the OEM remote that comes with the unit and uses the wifi signal so line of sight location is not an issue with that utility. Besides on the 23FB the TV is in the bedroom and I bet you could "bounce" the IR beam off of that shiney interior roof if the sensor was facing the ceiling.

I did something similar in college when I would shoot the IR beam from the remote at a shaving mirror on my desk that was pointed back to my receiver located in an adjacent closet.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So I got the 23" Vizio in today and went about replacing the Sony 15" Wega.
This was a major PITA as the power cable and it's large power supply was behind the wall sandwiched between the fridge and outer wall. Wound up removing the existing mounting plate and cut a bigger access hole but no way the "brick" part of it must have been screwed down, no amount of pulling on either end could remove the power supply. Was about ready to attempt taking the wall loose when a light went off in my head saying I was nuts, just buy another power supply for the Sony. So cut the ends off and then decided to pull a short extention cord through the wall from the outlet to the plate behind the TV mount. OK another PITA as the other cables run down the same path, then the side is sealed to prevent gases from the fridge to enter the cabin. finally an hour later got the extention cord pulled and started to put it all back together. The 23" Vizio Razor thin TV looks great and is a great deal at Costco for $200.
Tomorrow I'll try out the Apple TV and see how that works. Antenna HD looked good as well as the Sony indash DVD player.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #88
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Reading these posts on electronics is like when I was young and the older kids would talk about sex—I didn't know what they were talking about, but it sounded real good.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Apple TV and Vizio 23"

Here's a pic of the 23" Vizio so you can see how it fits in the space. Plugged the Apple TV into the Vizio with a HDMI cable. It can be mounted behind the TV on the Peerless mount with Velcro or straps. The Apple TV really wants a network connection so I used an Airport Express (wireless hub) and just plugged it in under the table. Was able to set up a new network without internet and stream from the Macbookpro to the TV. The goal here for me is to stream movies, music, photos to the TV. The problem with all this is the location of everything cable wise is all wrong, On the road you would want the Apple TV to get a wired Cat5 connection if available to plug into the Apple TV. If you are at a campsite or WiFi hotspot then no big deal. But then if you want to get the Audio from the Apple TV back into the trailer's Aux Audio in then you can't use the digital out on the Apple TV and there isn't any analog out. You can take audio out of the Vizio (need miniplug adapter) and feed it back to the Sony system.
Anyway here's a few pics if any one's interested in all this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0703.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	114093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0704.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	114094  

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #90
1337stream

2007 27' International CCD FB
Manhattan , Kansas
I'm in the process of replacing our factory 23" TV with a 26" LG LED TV. It fits perfectly, but I'm running into the same dilemma with getting audio back to the receiver. The new TV only has digital (optical) audio out, and so I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy one of these:

Amazon.com: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

which will convert the digital signal to 2-channel analog RCA. I'm going to mount it permanently in the space behind the refrigerator and have it plugged into the RCA cables already running back to the receiver (that were plugged into the back of the previous TV). Unfortunately, it's $60 bucks and requires power, but I figure the TV requires power anyway, and the consumption of the adapter is miniscule. They'll be wired to the same electrical circuit, so I think this'll work well.

I have the new AppleTV too, at home, and love it. It'll be moved into the Airstream as soon as we do, but I haven't decided where to mount it yet. It'll be connected to the TV via HDMI and Audio will be handled with the TV's optical audio out -> Gefen converter -> Stereo receiver.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Your new TV probably has a headphone mini plug jack on the back that you can use to feed audio. I'm looking for a short 1' HDMI cable for the Apple TV.
It can be mounted behind the set, even facing up the ir port can get a signal bouncing off the metal interior. Then there is the remote for iPhone or the iPad that works with it.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #92

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Your new TV probably has a headphone mini plug jack on the back that you can use to feed audio. I'm looking for a short 1' HDMI cable for the Apple TV.
It can be mounted behind the set, even facing up the ir port can get a signal bouncing off the metal interior. Then there is the remote for iPhone or the iPad that works with it.

Will 1.5' do? It's the shortest I've seen.

For only $1.65 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1.5FT 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black | 28AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #93
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Huh, I will have to look into that. That'd sure be a lot cheaper & less complicated than a powered digital->analog converter.

I won't be able to mount my AppleTV behind the display. I used a super-low-profile mount... so there's less than an inch gap between the TV and the wall. I may have to wait until H-Squared updates their wall mount:

H-Squared - tvTray
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Apple Tv and IPad

So I got the trailer out (06Safari) and am testing the NEW Apple TV with iPad and 23" Vizio. Also installed new OS 4.2 So what I learned:
1 AppleTV needs a wireless network to talk to it. I used an Airport Expreess
That I had and plugged into outlet under the table. I could then watch photos off the iPad on the Vizio and music videos from the iPod in the iPad.
2 you MUST tell the iPad or iPhone in the system folder
to use the airport for wireless WIFI. That means you can't surf the web or download a movie from the iPad while connecting to the Apple TV. That's because the a Airport isn't connected to the Internet itself. If yo can get Internet to the airport then you could stream live to the TV
3 sometimes I had to deselect the airsharing on the iPad or iPhone and try again to get a connection to work. It's cool though when it does.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #95
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Just thought I'd say that H-Squared has updated their AppleTV wall mount for the new model:

H-Squared - tvTray

I bought one, and it's... meh. It's okay. Mine has some heat warping on it, but since shipping cost as much as the item itself, I guess I'm stuck with it.

Haven't figured out where I'll mount it. There's no great spot that will be within line-of-sight for the remote to work, so I may mount it in the cubby above the fridge, and just use our iPhone/iPad as a remote instead.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
If ou mount it behind the TV and point the IR port at the wall with te signal bounce off of the Aluminum and control it? I just sit mine on top of the couch in the corner for now.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Apple TV

I have an apple tv unit installed in my Safari and once you used to using the unit, it's a nice addition. You can transfer your music, photos, movies into apple TV. Or, you can buy multi media content from the apple store. It took me some investment of time to figure it out. To transfer movies or content from the store both your laptop or other unit AND the apple tv unit must be connected to the store at the same time in order for the purchase and transfer to occur. Once the download begins, you can switch channels and watch TV or even turn off the TV. Movies can take a long time to download depending on your connection speed. I have mine mounted close to the TV in the third party bracket sold for the unit. It's a cool deal.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
seeking possible inspector

Hi,

I see you are listed as a inspector for N.y. eastern ct. I might have the need for your services or someone closer.i live in Brewster N.Y. and have my eye on a 1973 Ambassador.
Thank you
Michael O'Brien(blumob)
blumob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Mike,
Contact George Hernandez in Brewster. He has a trailer repair shop there. WELCOME TO CLASSIC RV REPAIR & RESTORATIONS, LLC.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
Thank you for the contact in Brewster.
blumob is offline   Reply With Quote