Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
The problem with the cheaper $50 converter boxes is that they only output down rez'd video over component. This looks fine on an old tube TV but looks horrid on just about any flat panel. Plus you need power to and storage of the convertor box. With all of that hassle, I'd just find a good black Friday deal on a 23" panel with a ATSC tuner and use the 15 somewhere is the house.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #72

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The converter in the link I posted below is an HD tuner, with both HDMI and component video out, $119. I haven't used one or seen one in person, just found it with a targeted search, that was the best price I found for an HD digital tuner.

Electronic Master DTV-5000HD Digital ATSC Converter Box QAM HDTV Tuner HDMI Output NTSC High Definition Decoder Terrestrial True HD Signal Quality for HD Ready Home Antenna Signal Aerial Reception, Part # DTV5000HD: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home

There are quite a few 19" LCD flat-panels on Amazon under $200, so Westfalia's advice is probably the best. It would be easier to get a replacement TV and use the analog-only Sony on a cable or satellite box at home, or sell it to someone who uses cable or satellite if you don't.

Then you can get over-the-air broadcasts (and still use an AppleTV of course) without having to have another powered device and multiple remotes, etc.

Oh, and if you plan to put your AppleTV on the back of the TV (as you indicated) you'll either need to use an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to control it, or get a repeater or even a mirror for it, since the Apple Remote is infrared.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Good points on the convertor vs. new TV. Want to check out the 23" Vizio Razor LED at Costco for $200. The thin light weight unit looks pretty good. May then move the Sony to the bedroom for DVD action. Use an Apple TV in the house and will buy one of the new ones and try the streaming thing in the trailer.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Apple TV

So I ordered a 23" Vizio 1080P LCE from Costco for $200. Great deal.
Bought an Apple TV last week for $99 and have played with it on a home set. I'm a huge fan of the original model with a hard drive. But the ability to stream the video and audio from my laptop or iPad to the TV is cool. Netflix on the road with an internet connection or 3G will keep us from looking for a local Redbox. From what I can tell it works as advertised. The video stream looks pretty good coming from my laptop. It was a no-brainer to plug in and setup. Will give an update when I actually test it in the trailer.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Might add that I have 2 Apple TVs in the house, one original and a new $99 lite version. I can stream music from my laptop to two rooms in the house. If they were both the ATV2 $99 then I could stream video to both rooms. it's a cheap way to distribute music, photos and video to multiple locations without wires.

Hopefully the trailer applications will make sence for Netflix or Apple's movie rentals or streaming from the Mac.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I picked up the apple TV unit last weekend. So far we've been pleased with the performance on the home set.

Not sure that the wifi in the parks will support streaming. However, you can load up a notebook with quite a bit of material for a long trip. Plan is to use the notebook and Ipad w/airplay as a central media server.

I think the Apple TV unit could be adhesive mounted to the back of the TV and connected with a 12" hdmi cable. Then both video and MP3 could be played back through the speakers using the TV's video out. Only bummer is that the TV would have to be on (major drain on batteries when boon docking).

I think Airplay could be a boon, since it would really cut down on the number of cables.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I'm thinking the same thing. Should be able to stream from the iPad's 3G signal soon to the Apple TV and that would be cool. Would like to find a way to pull a HDMI cable from the overhead bin by the DVD player to the TV, but that's probably a challenge to do. Would like to get the audio into the trailer's sound system and that may mean pulling a cable or two. What TV can=me with your 2009- one of the new Samsungs?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Rich, there is no easy way to use both the 3G and the wifi on the iPad, which I think is what you are proposing when you mentioned streaming. Of course if they are both on wifi, then it's easy. It may be necessary to get a small wifi router that can be use as a wifi repeater for use in the trailer to help run all of this technology.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Not sure how netflix would do over the 3G, since it's likely to suck up the data pretty fast. I also noticed that there were a lot of times that we were often restricted to EDGE coverage quite often while traveling. That would be way too slow for video streaming.

I intend to mostly rent off of I tunes for travel and use the laptop or iPad as the server for streaming to the Apple TV box. I have amassed about 2TB of movies & TV shows that I have converted to iTunes over the last 4yrs, so there's lots to choose from.

I'll look and see what the actual model # the TV is next time I'm out at her storage spot. It's a fairly run of the mill samsung LCD. The DVD player does not connect through the HDMI, it is only standard def. The TV tuner is digital and grabs an HD signal pretty well I'd say we got HD about 50% of the time.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
ATV and Sound System

Is there a way to hook up the ATV to the surround sound system rather than the TV. I would much rather listen to surround than the flat tv sound.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
As long as your tv has an audio out there should be no issue. Just route the DVD audio inputs on the back of the TV to the tv audio out. Then re-route the DVD out on the player to AUX in. You will lose DVD sound on the tv set, but it will play through the surround speakers since they are wired directly to the player when the receiver is in DVD mode.

Now any signal that that comes into the TV can be heard through the surround speakers. Only downside is that the TV will have to be on. If I get out to the trailer tomorrow, I'll snap some photos.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
The Netflix app for the iPad works pretty good through 3G. Course on the road at different State and National Parks that's unlikely. When I first got the iPad ATT offered an unlimited data plan for the iPad for $25. Course when I didn't renew it in August then the option was for 2GB of data per month. Not sure what that means in movie data from past experience I'm sure the fun runs out before the month.

Looked yesterday on my 25' and the TV is mounted on the wall front of the fridge. The outside panel gives access to the wall behind the TV, would be some work to fish a wire up through there but could add a HDMI cable to the TV. However the run under the trailer would be outside of the belly pan and then who knows how to run it up the wall inside the skin to the DVD player location or Aux in on the amplifier.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
2009 Samsung TV & Audio Set UP

OK so I went out to the storage unit to look at a couple of other things and snapped some pics of the TV set up. The TV is Samsung 19" LCD model #LN19A450C1D, 720p resolution.

You can see in the photo that the DVD is connected to the Analog input and the Antenna is connected to the COAX connection. It has the standard type connections most other new TVs have.

I was incorrect on in my previous post in how the sound from the TV is broadcast to the surround speakers. You will see that there is a dedicated Audio out cable which will send any sound that would normally come out of the TV speakers to the stereo when the stereo is in AUX mode. What is nice about this connection is that the volume level of sound output is constant AND independent of the TV speaker volume. You can turn the TV sound to zero with the TV remote and still use the stereo remote (or a universal) to change volume on the surround.

This should allow any sound the Apple TV (video or audio) pushes through the HDMI connection to play out of the surround sound.

After looking at the panel today I remembered that when I took possession of the trailer, the RCA cables that are now in the audio out were plugged into the DVI in. Don't know why, but I suspect it was like this from the factory as the original owner never QC'd any of the trailer's systems at delivery. On this system there is a dedicated cable that is tied into the AUX panel on the stereo.

Something you all may want to check for on your systems.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of TV.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	113945  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
The new Apple TV has a HDMI out and a Digital audio out for fiber optic audio connection. The old Apple TV had component and audio outs as well. The digital audio out is worthless in the Airstream configuration. So the summary is that if you connect the Apple TV directly to the HD TV by the HDMI then you will have to use the speakers built into the TV set. Some TV sets give you an audio out as a digital and as RCA phono jacks. If you mount the Apple TV to the back of the screen then the remote that comes with it won't work as it has to "see" the ir port on the Apple TV. Basically you will want to pull a cable from the TV back to the AUX in Audio connection to get the TV Tuner or the Apple TV back into the Airstreams sound system.