Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
My TV identifies the signal when you switch sources. When I switch to my Dish receiver, is shows 1080i. To my Mini or the antenna, 1080p.

There is some 720 material, mostly poorly produced commercials, but you really can see the difference. Maybe not on a 20" screen, but on a 37 for sure. I've seen 23" computer monitors that do 1920 x 1080 and you can see the difference between lower resolutions. Its the same. The difference between 1080i and 1080p, I'll admit that the difference is just about impossible to detect.
Most of the difference you see between good 720p content and good 1080i content is YOUR issue, it's the way your set is upconverting to display on the 1080-line panel. Good 720p content is definitely HD and still looks very, very good but some 1080p-capable sets don't upconvert well, so you see processing artifacts, etc.

There is VERY little 1080p content OTA. Your set identifies an OTA 1080 signal as 1080p, but that doesn't mean the content is actually progressive-scan. The Mini will provide a 1080p signal to your set, but that doesn't mean that all content it displays is truly 1080p, just that the signal format transmitted through the cable is 1080p.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI View Post
anyway it seems to me this is going beyond 'sharing' information...so back to where I started:

Just wanted to share with my fellow Airstreamers a new product (it's new features) I believe will come in handy on our silver trips.
Have fun!
You can't control where a thread goes sometimes…

Away for a few days and this thread has gone super-geeky. I wish I understood what you guys are talking about. I expect manufacturers would sell a lot more equipment if they made it understandable.

As for increasing wifi reception with a computer, I found this external antenna (external to the computer, internal to the trailer), MacWizard has this little unit that plugs into a USB port. They claim signal boost works for down- and upload; the cheaper ones don't mention upload. So approaching it from a "no mess, no fuss" outlook (no wires through roof or side of trailer), this might be the answer for a problem, i.e., wifi at campgrounds. MacWizards Store

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW00221.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	110093  

Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #59
_

. , .
there are a variety of antenna for laptops...

functional versions for mac start at ~30$...

and like many accessories, often work better on OLDER puters.

but the issue with signals at most rv parks is on the broadcast side...

with positioning, barriers and set up, just some of the problems...

relays or broadcast boosters help some with this...

but only a few of those gizmos can be used from the camper end of the equation...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the issue with signals at most rv parks is on the broadcast side...

only a few of those gizmos can be used from the camper end of the equation...
Since the CG router broadcasts and the computer broadcasts, which do you mean, or both?

The second sentence quoted is incomprehensible to me—do you mean only a few of the antennas are worth it, or something else?

Gene
Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #61
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Since the CG router broadcasts and the computer broadcasts, which do you mean, or both?...
the reference is to the cg router and wifi broadcast issues.

there are booster/relays for the broadcast side (the campground wifi/router) that are NOT simply antenna.

most must be setup and configured BY the host at their router (in this example the 'campground')...

however there are a FEW examples of wifi signal boosters that can be used by us (campers) to boost the actual wifi signal...

again these aren't antenna but actual signal boosters/relays ...

here's an example...

Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G: Electronics

the distinction is booster antenna for catching the signal (your linked product)...

vs real signal boosters or relays or access points...

here's a company that makes the RANGE of products from broadcast side to receiver side, relays antenna and so on...

Hawking Technologies

google the terms it's all explained far clearer than i plan 2 do....

or find an older thread...

the questions started out somewhat simple

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ion-28521.html

then became more complicated...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ifi-66694.html

partly because newer gizmos exist and CLAIMS for what gizmos can do are exaggerated,

but mostly because folks don't understand the basics or terminology (me included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...The second sentence quoted is incomprehensible to me—do you mean only a few of the antennas are worth it, or something else?

Gene
yes and yes.

-yes only a few of the external antenna ARE worth having and some are targeted for OLDER puters...

so a new puter may actually have a BETTER built in antenna than the add on...

-and yes something else, specifically a signal booster/relay/access point may be a better option than an antenna...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #62
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
OK, so we just returned from one of our favorite campgrounds, and they have changed their free-wifi. They have changed from the browser login to real wifi WPAv2 security. I didn't even have the Apple TV! We'll be back in about 6 weeks. I'll try the streaming then. I had the laptop, and it was limited to about 20kps download which is not so fast...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
OK, so we just returned from one of our favorite campgrounds, and they have changed their free-wifi. They have changed from the browser login to real wifi WPAv2 security.I had the laptop, and it was limited to about 20kps download which is not so fast...
What is WPAv2 security? Did they do away with wifi? Sounds like dial up. What CG was this?

Gene
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #64

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
WPA2 is an encryption protocol that's part of wifi. It requires a little configuration to get running, but once it's running it's hard for someone who's NOT on the same wireless network to sniff your traffic (anyone on the same network can theoretically sniff your traffic if you're not using SSL or VPN, though) and it's a way to keep unauthorized people from using your access point. Pretty much any G or N router should offer WPA2, but some older equipment is only capable of WEP which is fairly weak encryption.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks DKB. My laptop is old now and only has WEP so far as I know.

Gene
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #66
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Yeah, Gene, what DKB said. It means you can just configure your computer/appletv by selecting the wireless access point from a list and entering the password/passphrase from the menus without browser based authentication (which is hard to do without a browser on some of these movie playing boxes). The CG was Pismo Coast Village in Pismo Beach, CA.

I had to download a few large files from work and it appears they are throttling sessions to about 20kbps. So that's going to be another problem with streaming in real time on the free stuff.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Anybody jump in on the Apple TV now that it's shipping? Just bought a 06 Safari FB with the Sony 15" Flat panel. looks like I'll be upgrading that as it only has an analog TV tuner in it.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #68

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Anybody jump in on the Apple TV now that it's shipping? Just bought a 06 Safari FB with the Sony 15" Flat panel. looks like I'll be upgrading that as it only has an analog TV tuner in it.
'06 is pretty late in the game for a 1st-tier manufacturer to put out a flat panel without an ATSC tuner, though I guess it was the transition period so they might have continued an older model that didn't have it.

One thing to try before scrapping or repurposing the Sony is to cycle through the antenna settings... it may have one but lock out the ATSC tuner in certain antenna modes (cable vs. antenna, e.g.) This is just a guess, I don't have any special knowledge of small flat-panel sets... it may be that Thor bought the cheapest thing they could find that looks good, but that would be completely out of character right? Right?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Hey there,

This thread brings up a good point... it is trivial to break WEP encryption.

But generally speaking it's a good idea not to do any thing you wish to keep private on the internet (on-line banking, shopping, exchanging message with your fellow spies, etc.) unless the site you are communicating with provides SSL encryption on pages where you are transmitting sensitive data (look for the little lock on your browser).

A determined/sophisticated hacker can still snoop your traffic, using the man-in-the-middle technique, but that's pretty darn uncommon. I actually caught a guy doing this once in a StarBucks in the Financial District in London. But I doubt you'll run into it in a your typical camp ground.

Dave
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
One way to bypass the analog tuner problem on the Sony 15" flat panels is to use a Digital convertor box. Anybody tried this? I'm not sure how Airstream wires signal to the TV or how to pull another wire say a HDMI cable to a more modern set. An Apple TV stick on the back of the flat panel would bypass that need.