Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
Fair , South Carolina
New to Airstream Life

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm a young single mom and I purchased a 27 ft 1973 airstream in July 2015. It is currently not hooked up to electric or water - i have an arrangement where I rent kitchen/bathroom aces in a lovely communal house. I live in NC.

Having an airstream has been a dream for years and I'm excited to make this little space my home.

In the spring I will fully remodel after a winter of living in it as is.
Simplelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Congratulations on your purchase. We are also in North Carolina. You may want to read some of the threads about winter camping for some tips on how to keep things from freezing this winter. Best of luck and welcome to the community.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Welcome to Airstreaming and to the Airstream Forum.

With winter weather around the corner, water condensation may become an annoyance. I got the following advice from a poster on another trailer forum site that I'd like to share with you.

"Some dehumidifiers are small and use a thermoelectric element. While these dehumidifiers seem just right for travel trailer use, they will extract maybe a quart of water/day. This is less than what you produce from normal perspiration.

The good ones are a refrigeration unit that have an exposed cooling coil that lowers the temperature around the coil below the dew point and extracts moisture from the air. Even a small roll around unit will extract 6-10 gallons of water/day in high humidity conditions. These dehumidifiers work well and that's what we have. Figure around $100 for such a unit".

I think this is good advice. The problem may be finding a refrigeration dehumidifier that is right size for your trailer. Wish you the best!
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Welcome to the Forum & Airstream life, although I'm not too sure how 'simple' life will be with a 40 year old AS ! You just learn as you go, as most of us have. . . We miss those Carolina mountains after 5 yrs @ WCU (my Son) . . .enjoy, Craig
Old 10-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Yeah, that dehumidifier would be a must have if your full time and high humidity area.
Just breathing creates quite a bit and with an aluminum skin it will collect.
You obviously have power access where you are parked.
If thats the case i'm a big fan (no pun intended) of the vornado fan/heaters...especially the higher end ones such as the TVH600.
They are an aluminum case instead of plastic. Very quiet, have a remote control and are very efficient.
Troll on craigslist and you might find a better deal as new maybe $160?
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Welcome

Since you have bathroom and kitchen privileges are you going to forego hooking up to water this winter? If so, you would just need to make sure that you trailer is winterized and leave it that way until warmer temperatures in the Spring. By Thanksgiving most place in NC have cold enough weather that the Airstream needs to be winterized.

Have you had the gas furnace checked out? Our winters are cold enough that you may need the gas furnace. If so, you may want to have a larger propane tank delivered and get on the gas companies' auto fill up schedule.

Hooking up to electricity is almost a must, particularly if you want to hook up a de-humidifier as other have suggested. You will want some lights as the days get shorter and sitting outside is a little too cold.

Just some ideas to think about. We live in the piedmont area of NC.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Dear Simplelife

You have embarked on a wonderful adventure for you and for your child. Let me share our experience. We (Harry and I) are older. Not old, just older . Huge difference. We are "full-timers". We bought our A/S off eBay had it delivered and moved in. It came with a new toilet in a box which we had installed. It, along with a new bathroom floor, is how we began our adventure. That was two years ago. Now we live on the beach in SC. Ours is a 1988 34'. Now, finally it does not leak. Well almost. I just discovered wet clothes in the bottom of the closet. So I guess first I would see if you have leaks. Around the ceiling fans/skylights is where we fought them. Then we replaced the Fantastic fans and put "rain hats" over them. We can have ventilation during rain. Really like these changes. Other people mentioned dehumidifier. We have not have gotten a dehumifier
but being on the beach is making me reconsider. I also just recently put fans down under the beds in the "cubbies". One is on each side with cords run up the outer wall next to the outlets by the bed. When it is high humidity or raining, I will plug them in but from inside. Won't have to go outside in the rain to turn them on.
Anyway there is a lot to do and everyday it seems to us, there is some new problem to solve. There is always a need for invention and resourcefulness. Your child will learn a lot of that watching you do it. We changed everything in our A/S. And continue to make changes.
We wish you luck in this adventure. We think you have taken a big bite. Hopefully you will have and find people who can help you
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi simplelife. Congratulations on your 73 vintage Airstream. Maybe it's an Overlander? Living comfortably in an old Airstream will not be simple, but you are up for it. I hope you have a source of technical help for the things that come up that you don't want to do yourself. It's common for travel trailer appliances to quit for no good reason; furnace, water heater, fridge, electricity, and the like. Heck, our door latch/lock broke the other day locking us in the trailer. Luckily I had some tools in the trailer and could take it apart to get out. Just one of those surprises an old trailer offers. Keeping fresh water inlet and waste water drains from freezing during the winter is a challenge, but maybe you won't be using those utilities. Running to your shared bath and kitchen will help. So maybe you plan on your Airstream being a heated bedroom with lights for now and nothing more.

Maybe your Airstream has been well maintained and maybe renovated to some extent. Old Airstreams usually have lots of needs to make them travel worthy.

You will find a wealth of information and assistance here on these Air Forums. Ask a question and you will likely get a good answer.

Welcome and let me know if I can help.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome! Good luck!
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote